Building the Beryl Model 1996

tmas

@bullzebub

in progress pics are fun too :-P

done the major work for the mini-beryl stock trunnion and stock -- pics soon (maybe right after nov 1 holiday). starting to think about the stock trunnion for the russian krinkov.

btw: revisited some of you woodworking and trunion post and taking this opportunity to thank you for the insights i got from those.

pm for you.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s the mini-beryl folding stock WIP.

The acrylic jigsaw for the stock trunnion:

the pinkish globs are fixits for mistakes and miscalculations.

Acrylic stock trunnion assembled

[url=http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/zentaurus/P2220210.jpg

PVC pipe buttstock side by side with an m4 stock for the mp5KH

P2220211.jpg

Foam as buttplate. Will look like the mp5KH buttplate after ridging and coating with auto undercoating

Acrylic and pvc mated for the first mockup.

[url=http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m225/zentaurus/P2230221.jpg

It works !!!

P2230223.jpg

Next step: modding the CYMA o31 base gun.

<_<

my apologies for this repost, guys, :flamed: but the pics didn't work on my last post.

pic 1 : acrylic trunnion jigsaw puzzle; pic2: trunnion and locking mechanism assembled

berylcollage1eq2.gif

pic 3 : acrylic trunnion and PVC pipe stock mated together

berylcollage2io5.gif

pic 4 : foam buttplate & pic 5 : mini-beryl / MP5KH stock comparo

it works!!!

itworksii5.gif

;)

(mods, pls. delete previous post -- sorry :wide-eyed: )

Whoah! im impressed! you think that will hold up to the abuse?

tried to make sure it will, that's the reason for the two brass screws inserted into the acrylic mount for buttstock lock. the stock and the locking mechanism will be held together by two blind rivets and the entire trunnion will be screwed on to the back plate of the receiver. durability is also the reason for the acrylic parts looking kludgy -- made them extra thick since this this the first time i'm using acrylic and have heard some say it is brittle.

will also need stifferer springs for buttstock lock, i think. during tests, the lock fails to hold -- erratically -- when the buttstock is jiggled :huh:

will try to post some detailed pics and you be the judge: :unsure:

well, i do tend to take on things that's challenging -- to say the least. tested two springs before i got the right stiffness. the lock now holds even when i wave it crazily like a swashbucker's sword.

what's even nuttier is me thinking of doing the complete mini-beryl rail set ;)

don't die yet, please, cuz the project may take a while to complete and i will need your expert feedback :lol:

Hehe .. you didnt record that.. did you? :-P

nope, did not want to provide documentary evidence of my secret testing methods. :blink:

btw, will be shopping for aluminum flat bars of suitable dimensions and try to do an aly trunnion to address the strength and durability concerns you and some ACM Gamers here in the Philippines expressed. can do, i think, since i have scrounged a small bench vise to add to my set of elbow grease-driven set of fab tools. may be able to fashion a stronger hinge block with some torchwork.

will keep arnies posted on the results.

tx for the photos, these will be a great help for my mini-beryl project. will see how the CYMA 031 measures up when i get it. also planning to get the flashhider and the luminous sights from xxxFENCExxx. decided do the rails myself -- the aluminum U channel i bought yesterday and the rail from a RAS set will be enough, IMHO.

@ bullzebub: detail pics up soon plus a spec sheet.

tx again, jonboy

:D

some detail pics of the acrylic folding stock trunnion.

trunnion base plate blocks and how they come together

basegotogether2vc5.jpg

the stock mount and hinge plate (clockwise from upper left): bottom, quarter front, and quarter back

hingemountcompbw0.jpg

stock mount and hinge plate with the latch and the latch catch

mountcatchla4.jpg

the latch shape (inset) and latch locking

latchcompmy9.jpg

trunnion views (clockwise from upper left) front, quarter front, quarter rear right, and quarter rear left

allviewscompoj1.jpg

finally (clockwise from upper left): trunnion side view; stock closed, operator POV, stock open, operator POV, stock open, target POV

operatecompxr7.jpg

for the bean counters, here’s a dimension sheet. be warned, however, that measurements were done with an ordinary ruler and not a caliper, :P lol.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7198/tr...ondimgifup1.gif

if i remember correctly, the TM burst is just a adjustable timer and a relay circuit.

pretty basic in other words :-)

my bad :wub: didn't mean the sig; was referring to the mechanical thingy of the Type 89. all i've been able to find out is that there's a small cam on one of the gears.

been thinking about this 4 the mini-beryl 'cuz otherwise the safety switch will be a dummy and might skip it altogether till i get to do the three-burst mod to the mechbox.

will be getting the CYMA 031 and some RAS kits this weekend so this project will, hopefully (crossing fingers) be done in 2-3 weeks. one month of after work labor, max.

hope that's not too long for you, jonboy :)

Woohoo, more from me!

dsc0001id7.jpg

There, my Beryl M96 rifle has now received a genuine early Beryl flash hider!

And the carbine above it is... that's right, a Beryl Commando project underway! I'm building it for a friend, who's done a lot of excellent work on it already. My responsibility now is to build a new rear trunnion, install the same hinge as in my rifle and build the same stock structure.

Our original plan was to go with a real steel stock, as a Beryl sidefolder fits into standard AKM/AK-74 type tangs. It was tempting, since ICS replicate these accurately (one of the FEW things they do in their AK - comparing the CA and ICS to real steel... ICS stinks in most details! :( ). However, the wait would have been to long, so I'm building another custom Beryl stock replica again.

The Beryl Commando will be finished within a week and skirmished next sunday.

Heh... I'm not sure if my Beryl rifle is the first Beryl AEG ever, but the other project is definitely the only Beryl Commando carbine AEG as of today! :]

Well done jonboy. I'm usually not a fan of AK variants, but that Beryl does look very tempting. It's really making want to start my own AK project. +1 to you for getting me hooked ;).

I'm glad you like :)

Actually, many people find that it's just... DIFFERENT than all the other AKs. All the BEryl models are pretty much the only AKs out there that feel 'western', not 'eastern'... I think it's a great way to go for someone tired of Armalites and not really liking original, 'eastern' AKs.

Personally, though, I'd love to win the lottery... so that I could also add a proper, Russian AK-74 to my collection, too. I'm thinking of an early one like FW200's or a plum model... with a scope rail in either case :drools:

I'm glad you like :)

Actually, many people find that it's just... DIFFERENT than all the other AKs. All the BEryl models are pretty much the only AKs out there that feel 'western', not 'eastern'... I think it's a great way to go for someone tired of Armalites and not really liking original, 'eastern' AKs.

Personally, though, I'd love to win the lottery... so that I could also add a proper, Russian AK-74 to my collection, too. I'm thinking of an early one like FW200's or a plum model... with a scope rail in either case :drools:

I find that the Beryl doesn't even look AKish at all. It just looks western and more advanced than the Old AKs seen in the former Eastern Bloc...that's what makes me like it so much, but I do no think that I will be doing one if I do an AK project. I just don't have the ability to get all of the parts I'd need or the know how of what to do if I had the parts. I know/could do an Armalite inside and out, but not a Beryl ;).

Can't wait to see how your Beryl Commando turns out...

Can't wait to see how your Beryl Commando turns out...

the beryl which David Crane of Defense review calls "the logical development of the AK."

one beryl, one Commando, and one mini makes three :P (once it gets done, that is)

@jonboy: could you post a pic of the ICS tang? the cyma 031, i think, has the same or similar tang. one of things i'm deciding on right now is whether to just mod the tang to accept my trunnion or fab my own attachment plate.

another question: how does the folded stock stay locked? a catch on the receiver, like the Krink? a mechanism on the trunnion itself?

and another: do you have (or have access to) detail pics of how the full rail (the one that goes over the receiver in the export version of the mini beryl) attach to the stock trunnion? appreciate any help :P

My conversion uses a Norinco Type 56-S2 stock hinge and lock, so it's a bit different from the real Beryl guns. From what I can see in the photos I have, though, the stock is released by a large button on the left side of the hinge mechanism. There is no silly AKS-74-style 'catch' on the side of the receiver. The stock is held in folded position by the same lock that holds it in the extended position - I guess it's pretty similar to the Norinco mechanism I used, with the only difference being my release button being on top, not on the side.

009706049tw5.th.jpg009706050nt4.th.jpg009706055ji9.th.jpg

BTW, can you see that little cyllinder protruding up from the base of the upper tang? That's where the long/low rail locks. The front attaches to notches in the front sight base, which is also where the short/high rail variant attaches, too. The long rail hinges into the notches with two pins - you'll get the idea when we get to the photos of the long/low rail assembly. But first, more detail of the Mini:

009706057vc7.th.jpg009706058an6.th.jpg009706059ey7.th.jpg

009706060at0.th.jpg009706062fg9.th.jpg009706067gf9.th.jpg

009706051hz3.th.jpg

Note the firing mode selector on the left side of the receiver. The lever on the right is only a safety on/safety off thing now. The left switch under your thumb lets you choose full auto, 3-round burst, and semi-auto options.

The latest variation comes with an extended, birdcage flash hider and a telescopic stock.

04miniberyl01ag1.th.jpg04miniberyl02sy1.th.jpg

Here's a comparison between an AKM/AK-74 safety lever and that of a Beryl:

p111jq9.th.jpg

And finally, the long/low rail assembly:

112861225lf1.th.jpg

I think it's rather obvious how it attaches to the gun :)

There... now you know pretty much everything :)

There... now you know pretty much everything :)

right, txs :bounce:

also have the AK-USA photos but not the selector and rail ones you posted. these will be a great help. starting on the mods these weekend. have everything i need except the long rail 'cuz RIS/RAS sets currently not available here though these may arrive shortly before x'mas (crossing fingers).

:gun2:

Archived