A rifled barrel from Tanio Koba?!?!?!?!

RobbyC

I've tried TK barrels in a number of guns and was convinced they were less effective than a tight bore barrel due to both a significant drop in FPS and very limited range... Then I heard they work better on lower velocity guns, and all my experiments had been with guns in the 350+ FPS (w/ .25g BB) velocity range...

So I cut down a TK M16 barrel I had gathering dust and threw it in my stock G&G UMG - just as a test.

The gun chrono'ed 250 FPS w/ .25g BBs... But the range was incredible! Even at 250 FPS, and with a barrel shorter than a stock MP5 barrel, I was easily reaching out and touching targets at ranges past 60 meters. My UMG (which prior to this had trouble even shooting across a 30 meter parking lot - with a Madbull tightbore installed) was now outshooting M4s that were pushing 350+ FPS w/ .25g BBs.

Color me impressed...

Thats actually a really good idea evilliboba. I never thought about putting one of these in a pistol.

If you think about it a pistol could use all the extra accuracy it can get and I doubt you are going to be shoot at over 330FPS with most pistols. Hell, I think I'll get one whenever I order from WGC.

Actually most of my teammates would welcome a FPS drop in my KJW P14. On a training skirm with our new riot sheild I accidently shot my cousin in the head and it drew blood and left a mighty large bruise. Plus the extra range might be nice in woodland when your rifle decides to not work while the defication hits the ocilating blades.

Yeah, these barrels aren't as useless as people make them out to be. All you need to do is use them right (that's WITH hopup and don't worry it doesn't spin the BB...). They generally work best with guns at 1J and have shorter barrels too it seems. I guess if the velocity is too high the spinning air can affect the BB, and if the barrel is long the same thing kind of happens.

Word has reached me that Mr George Stephenson intends to test a steam locomotive that will exceed speeds of 30 miles per hour! :o Could one of you learned gentlemen comment on this?

Or more seriously: does anyone have access to reliable comparisons between standard barrels and TK Twist barrels?

:zorro:

Oh the irony that this thread has now turned into something useful :rolleyes:

Nah I'm joking, i was a bit irritable last night when i posted i'm afraid! too much drink on saturday and too many essays on sunday = :flamed:

Anyway all is good again :)

As Sledge said, i'd be pretty interested to see what a true comparison between them concluded... :whistling: (oh Staticzero.....) :P

Rob

Did someone mention earlier in this thread that TM are making am M4 ? When is it coming out, I've been hoping someone would make am M4 AH TEH B357 !!11one1!1eleven!1.

Sorry.

So it sounds like us Brits with or 1J rule would benifit from rifled barrels along with pistol and SMG users a comparison is deffinately called for and that Steam Locamotive sounds like it will go like a 'Rocket'. Flabergasting ! I nearly droped my monical !

Hmm, even though this thread seemed useless at first, in the end it has gathered up some very useful information on the TK barrels and dispelled the myths.

I will definitely try one of these for my Hi-Capa, maybe even my G26 which should have low enough fps with a short barrel. :)

Is this why you look so ###### off and short of hair in your avvie, Sale?  :D

Ha, that's a very old pic of me. I have hair on my head and chin nowadays.

I didn't even think of the irony when I said anything about pulling my hair. :P

I'm still interested in an article where these barrels are compared in a testbench gun which gives an equal platform to all barrels that are to be tested.

-Sale

I've tried TK barrels in a number of guns and was convinced they were less effective than a tight bore barrel due to both a significant drop in FPS and very limited range... Then I heard they work better on lower velocity guns, and all my experiments had been with guns in the 350+ FPS (w/ .25g BB) velocity range...

So I cut down a TK M16 barrel I had gathering dust and threw it in my stock G&G UMG - just as a test.

The gun chrono'ed 250 FPS w/ .25g BBs... But the range was incredible! Even at 250 FPS, and with a barrel shorter than a stock MP5 barrel, I was easily reaching out and touching targets at ranges past 60 meters. My UMG (which prior to this had trouble even shooting across a 30 meter parking lot - with a Madbull tightbore installed) was now outshooting M4s that were pushing 350+ FPS w/ .25g BBs.

Color me impressed...

So, at 250 - 300fps, they actually improve range over a standard tightbore? I've heard a lot of things about them, back and fourth from not worth it to worth it.

I'd kill (not really) for improved range on my stock FA-MAS, firing at 290fps with a 6.04 Systema barrel. Would a TK barrel combined with a Big-Out H-hop thing be a good choice?

We offered to build some rifled barrels some 8 months ago, and we were shunned for even bringing it up here.....lol.......but I still believe they hold some merit if implemented  correctly

Ray

I do remember that.. the theroy of this is still highly misunderstood if i were you id never expect a positive reaction till the proof was on the paper.

I'm still interested in an article where these barrels are compared in a testbench gun which gives an equal platform to all barrels that are to be tested.

-Sale

The problem, of course, would be finding a retailer willing to put the reputation of a fairly large chunk of their stock on the line.

Thing is, if I ran an airsoft shop I'd be playing with all this stuff in my spare time.

Fire-Support, in the UK, sell these and have them in stock. Surely somebody from FS reads these forums and knows the controversy about them?

If it was me, and tests PROVED these barrels to have decent performance, I'd be splattering the results all over the internet. I'd be shouting it from the rooftops, telling people if they don't see an improvement then I'll give them their money back etc.

The lack of any such endorsement from retailers makes me think that the results wouldn't be terribly conclusive.

Theres a review on this very site for a TK tightbore for a KSC Mk.23 pistol. A little bit all over the place though unfortunately as he claims the irregularity of the gas causes the bbs to be affected different amounts by the gyro affect...I think...

Whether or not he had hop-up turned on or not I dont know. Anyway - fire-support stock the barrels - £40 for AEG and £25 for pistol. Im tempted to try one out in my P226...has anyone else got any information or reviews on these barrels?!

Matthais_31

Stealthbomber: Yes, and when some individual takes the devil by the horns and does an incredible amount of work and shells out the cash to test different barrels (which should of course be respected), the tests almost always are flawed in some kind. I don't trust a test where one barrel is on a P90 and the other on a G3. Different AEGs have different hop up adjustment systems which affect the accuracy, and the structure is stronger on one than another. A whole other story is when the barrels are of different length or some of the test guns have taped cylinder ports...

I haven't used the twist barrels, but I did build a true rifled barrel for my son's VSR10. Here is a link to the posting on sniper's perch: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...53entry998853

I have found that it made a huge difference in the accuracy, fps and consistency of the gun. I am also shocked as to how far we can make shots with it.

The thing that really jumps out at us, is that the bb's fly truly straight all the time and the hop up ony affects the elevation, which is also now very consistent.

So, at 250 - 300fps, they actually improve range over a standard tightbore? I've heard a lot of things about them, back and fourth from not worth it to worth it.

That seems to be the case... At least according to the anecdotal evidence from this past weekend. I do know my UMG was seeing a drastic improvement in range - nearly double its previous effective range - and the only thing that was changed was the barrel. I also know it was shooting much further than it should have been, for only chrono'ing at 250 FPS (w/ .25g BBs - around 275 FPS w/ .20s, or just under 0.75J).

(And yes - I fired several shots to insure the readings were consistant, The highest and lowest chrono readings were only 3 FPS apart... 249, 250, 252, 250... Oddly, with a slightly longer [by about 20mm] MP5-length Madbull tight bore, the same gun and ammo were chrono'ing at around 280, but getting significantly less range).

The only possible flaw with this anecdotal evidence is that I had to cut down the TK barrel (to fit my UMG) and recrown it - but, if anything, that should reduce the effectiveness of the TK rather than enhance it...

For now, I'm willing to say that it looks like stock or slightly upgraded guns (1J or less) will probably benefit from a TK barrel - but the reverse seems to true for more heavily upgraded guns (my G-36k, which fires at right around 1.5J, gets better range from an M4-length tightbore than it does with an M16-length TK).

I still would like to do some additional testing, but am just too busy at the moment. When things slow down for me a bit, (probably December/January-ish), I may take a stock (or mostly stock) gun, that has a quick take down, and put several barrels in it to test the effectiveness of some different makes of barrels. If I am able to secure a laser rangefinder, I'd also like to see how the TK stacks up, as far as actual effective ranges, against barrels of the same/similar length from some of the more popular brands (eg. Systema, Prometheus, Madbull, etc.).

all done with propane:

Ive found the TK twist barrel a lot more accurate than stock for the TM hi capa

but, the PDI 01 barrel outperforms the TK twist (~60 feet, outdoors)

fps gain/loss between TK twist and the PDI 01 is fairly minimal with the second run hi capa cup (~5%)

other performance upgrades include RC bulb, nineball hop packing, polycarb nozzle, enhanced springs, carom sear, along with all the metal bits

played around with a 6.03 barrel on an otherwise stock hi capa with a nineball packing and got quite similar performance to the TK in terms of accuracy @ ~60 feet

did not chrono

also have experience with the TK twist in the VP70

it performs VERY well for the first few shots then gets all whack due to magazine cooldown which is quite noticeable on the vp70

performance did increase marginally with a 6.04 barrel swap as it is not as finicky with different airflows

vp70 also doesnt have as good a hop as the TM hicapa, but when all the variables are right, has comparable accuracy to a stock hicapa @ ~60 feet

note also, the vp70 sights arent as nice for accurate shots, but sights in faster

How does the range compare between the PDI 01 and the TK twist in the TM Hi Capa? Is there any noticable difference?

all done with propane:

Ive found the TK twist barrel a lot more accurate than stock for the TM hi capa

but, the PDI 01 barrel outperforms the TK twist (~60 feet, outdoors)

fps gain/loss between TK twist and the PDI 01 is fairly minimal with the second run hi capa cup (~5%)

other performance upgrades include RC bulb, nineball hop packing, polycarb nozzle, enhanced springs, carom sear, along with all the metal bits

played around with a 6.03 barrel on an otherwise stock hi capa with a nineball packing and got quite similar performance to the TK in terms of accuracy @ ~60 feet

did not chrono

also have experience with the TK twist in the VP70

it performs VERY well for the first few shots then gets all whack due to magazine cooldown which is quite noticeable on the vp70

performance did increase marginally with a 6.04 barrel swap as it is not as finicky with different airflows

vp70 also doesnt have as good a hop as the TM hicapa, but when all the variables are right, has comparable accuracy to a stock hicapa @ ~60 feet

note also, the vp70 sights arent as nice for accurate shots, but sights in faster

How does the range compare between the PDI 01 and the TK twist in the TM Hi Capa? Is there any noticable difference?

not as concerned about pure range compared to effective range, but Ill look into it

I made some pretty crazy in-game shots with the TK twist (~120-150 feet, single shot, flanked target, had to arc slightly for that range, but still hit on the first trigger pull) but that was in the summer, and obviously, I cant make those kinds of shots all the time without fail, but its still cool that the shot could be made

I got my 01 when the weather got colder, so it would not be a fair test at the moment

Archived