About Airsoft Guns

Rattler

Hello all,

Here is a guide to airsoft guns. In this guide I will describe each type of gun and how they work to the best of my ability. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to pm me.

First I shall start out with the basics,

What does an airsoft gun shoot?

Airsoft guns generally shoot 6mm plastic bb's, they are better than paintballs because they are smaller and can thus go farther and more accurately. They come in all colors and come in different weights for different purposes. There are 3 common weights of the airsoft bb's, starting at .12g (12 hundreths of a gram), these are mostly used for cheaper guns and will ruin the hop-up (hop-up will discuss later) in more expensive guns, these bb's go very fast but curve in all directions and can be dragged by the wind very easily, .2g and probably the most popular weight, it is used for general airsofting because it is not too light that it is blown off course easily but yet light enough to keep a good speed in fps (feet per second), there is also .25g, this is used in more powerful upgraded guns or sniper rifles as they are very accurate but take more power to send as far.

There are also airsoft paintballs, these are not very good, they jam up even in cheap guns and end up ruining the gun but they are made.

Last there are also metal airsoft rounds, why these are is unknown other than target shooting with metallic rounds.

Hop-Up

What is the hop-up in an airsoft gun and what does it do?

The hop-up is a small assembly inside the intersection of the nozzle, barrel and magazine. It is a small rubber bump in the top of the barrel that puts a backspin on the bb's to make them go farther and more accurate. Most guns have adjustable hop-up where you can increase and decrease how much of the rubber is pushed onto the bb and how much or little it will make the bb's flight change.

Now we will move along to different types of guns,

There are three different types of airsoft guns, the three are really very similar but just operate in different ways.

AEG's or Automatic Electric Gun's

These are the most popular airsoft weapon in the airsoft community, they propel the bb's with air pressure by using a spring and a piston set-up. The spring is automatically pulled back by a gear that spins which is propelled by a motor, most commonly found in the pistol grip of each gun. These guns can shoot with an amazing rate of fire and very good fps.

Velocity

230+fps (lower end)

280+fps (higher end, $200)

Range

70+ feet (effective range, 200+ feet total range)

Price range

$100+ usd, $200+ for a good quality one.

Spring Guns

Spring guns are also propelled by compressed air and by a spring just these are manually cocked for each shot. They are much more inexpensive and can be fun to plink around with or just backyard wars but are not for actual battles.

Velocity

50+fps (lower end, 250+ fps mid end, 500+fps HIGH end)

Range

25+ feet (effective range, 150+ feet total range, 200+ effective on HIGH end)

Price range

$15+ usd (cheap made), $50+ for a good quality one.

Gas Guns

Gas guns are propelled by compressed gas, such as propane, co2, green gas, etc.

This style of gun normally comes as pistols, some machine guns and some sniper rifles. This type of gun comes in two styles, Blow-back and non blow-back, the blowback style are the most common, they automatically rack the action (pistol slide, cocking bolt, etc) and pump another round in. It looks and feels very realistic but it uses more gas than a non blow-back. The non blow-back is just a solid gun, some have dummy slides that slide for fun but most don’t. These guns are much more inexpensive and use less gas. They in most cases have less power but are for the man on a budget, they automatically load themselves but without a blow-back action.

Velocity (pistols)

230+fps (lower end $40+)

300+fps (higher end $100+)

Range

70+ feet (effective range, 200+ feet total range)

Price range

$40+ usd (cheaper non blow-back), $200+ for a good quality (blow-back) one.

Rattler

PS: I will soon add an in depth portion on how each gun work, been pretty busy

Airsoft guns generally shoot 6mm plastic bb's, they are better than paintballs because they are smaller and can thus go farther and more accurately.

Nah. Paintballs go farther because they have more forward force as they are bigger which carries them farther. They are also more accurate because they are not affected by the wind/elements again because they are bigger and harder to effect But thats only if it is not a perfectly calm day, then airsoft will probably be more accurate as they have hop up.

Great guide though!

Brands,

Next I will cover the brands and and what the abbreviations mean. Approximate life span for different qualities.

High, 100,000+ Shots AT LEAST, if cared for well 1,000,000+ shots

Mid grade, AT LEAST 5,000+ shots, if cared for well 100,000+ shots

Low grade, 1 hour, 100+ shots, if cared for 5,000+ shots

Rifles (AEG and Gas)

High Quality,

TM, Tokyo Marui (Mah-roo-e) (Gas and electric)

CA, Classic Army

Star

Systema

ICS

Marushin (gas)

VFC

G & G

G & P

Inokatsu

Star

Olympic Arms

Airsoft Elite

Mid Grade

UTG (Under the gun)

CYMA

CSI

BE (Both Elephant)

Well (Wellfire)

DE (?)

Palco

Firepower

UHC (Unicorn Hobby Company)

Low quality,

Crossman

Daisy

Neonfire

Pistols, (Electric, gas and spring)

High quality

TM (Tokyo Marui) (Electric, gas and spring)

KJW (Kuan Ju Works) (Gas)

KWA (Gas)

Western Arms (Gas)

KWC (Gas)

Marushin (Gas)

Tanaka (Gas)

Mid grade,

CYMA (Electric)

HFC (Gas and spring)

Y&P (Gas)

KWC (Spring)

Smith & Wesson (gas and spring)

Low quality,

Taurus (electric)

Crossman (electric and spring)

UHC (Gas and spring)

Neonfire (spring)

Spring rifles,

High Quality,

Atoz Armaments

Classic Army

DPMS

Mid-grade,

UHC

HFC

Neonfire

CSI

UTG

Low quality,

CYMA

Crossman

Neonfire

(editing as you read, check back untill this message dissapears)

Taurus don't make airsoft guns...

KJW is only as good (if you're generous) as HFC for gas guns.

I really don't think it makes sense to lump pistols into Gas, electric AND springer - You need to split the springers out, at least.

KWC make some perfectly good spring pistols, but their gas guns (other than the Desert Eagle) are no great shakes.

BTW, what's the point of this? Are you planning on putting it somewhere on a site of your own? All this information's already on Arnies...

Cheers.

Nah. Paintballs go farther because they have more forward force as they are bigger which carries them farther. They are also more accurate because they are not affected by the wind/elements again because they are bigger and harder to effect But thats only if it is not a perfectly calm day, then airsoft will probably be more accurate as they have hop up.

Great guide though!

Erm....no.

Paintballs fire slower, because they are heavier - the guns fire at around 300fps - slower than most high end AEG's

Because they are bigger, they also suffer more wind resistence and are more affected by gusting - although, due to the weight this is somewhat negated.

If you think that airsoft is LESS accurate than a stock marker, you've obviously never fired them both. :rolleyes:

Erm....no.

Paintballs fire slower, because they are heavier - the guns fire at around 300fps - slower than most high end AEG's

Because they are bigger, they also suffer more wind resistence and are more affected by gusting - although, due to the weight this is somewhat negated.

If you think that airsoft is LESS accurate than a stock marker, you've obviously never fired them both.   :rolleyes:

Yes I have :P

I said they go farther, not faster.

Erm....no.

If you think that airsoft is LESS accurate than a stock marker, you've obviously never fired them both.  :rolleyes:

qft

i worked this out (very unscietifically) by firing one right after the other (my mates new paintball gun and then my gbb pistol, basically airsoft is a hell of a lot more accurate and doesnt get paint all over nice mil sim gear :D

Yes I have  :P

I said they go farther, not faster.

Bull. I shot my CA G3SG1 w/6.03 tightbore in it next to my friend's paintball gun. His gun originally cost around $300, but he spent $1000 turning the front end into a bad neonfire G36C travesty and the back end into an armalite wannabe. He absolutely detests airsoft in the same way i hate paintball, and he's not in denial of airsoft's pwn-ness after i pwned him in an arguement about which is better. After bitchslapping him for making such a discraceful gun, we shot at a man sized target and stuck another buy near the target to see if bbs hit it. He used some high-grade paintballs, i used excel .23's and had recently lubed gears and barrel. I chrono'ed it at 344 average with .2's the other day. Anyways, at 50 feet, both guns hit it 5/5 times. At 100 feet, mine hit 5/5 and his hit 4/5. At 125 feet mine still hit 5/5 and his hit 3/5. At 150 feet mine hit 4/5 and his hit 3/6 (he took an extra shot). Our final target was going to be 200 feet, but neither of us could reach it accurately enough so at 180 feet i got 3/5 and he got 2/5. This is a $1300 paintball gun vs a $380 or so airsoft gun. Still think paintball is more accurate?

Forgot to say, this guy was really steamed afterwards, and it probably didnt help that i was on the ground laughing at his reaction. He started shooting at me, but semiauto will only get you so far so i chased him out of my yard with a hicap. I love airsoft :P

I'm sorry, do you naturally talk BS, or did it take training?

Two Words - HOP UP.

Great guide though!

Archived