Your favorite real steel firing

otherrandomhero

The recoil of a gun looks dramatically different depending on how the person is holding it. With the DE it goes down to stance. You've probably seen amateurs shoot a (any) pistol, and how insecure and flimsy it looks. Compare that with top class IPSC shooters and you could swear that the latter are shooting with airsoft guns.

All I'm saying is that the video looks very believeable, having shot the real .50 AE DE and seen people shoot with it.

-Sale

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sale:

True... :P Regarding IPSC and amateur shooter, the reason the difference is so huge is due to the mods done to competition guns. The infinity I shot (pic a few posts up) is modified to be used in Limited class IPSC; unported, only minor mods like trigger job etc, the gun felt incredibly easy to shoot (9X21 soft point 127 grain) compared to other same caliber stock handgun.

You know the first thing that made me noticed he was faking it (IMO) was the dude is about medium built, plus he was holding it "wrong" - meaning the supporting hand is underneath the mag, which means less support during recoil. But he still manage to handle it waaaaay better than all DE shooters in youtube, who are mostly heavier built than he is.

And the funny thing is, none of the DE vid on youtube ever mentioned "This is not a blank gun".....i dont know man, the whole thing just looked so obviously faked to me :P .... I could be wong tho ;)

You know the first thing that made me noticed he was faking it (IMO) was the dude is about medium built, plus he was holding it "wrong" - meaning the supporting hand is underneath the mag, which means less support during recoil. But he still manage to handle it waaaaay better than all DE shooters in youtube, who are mostly heavier built than he is.

And the funny thing is, none of the DE vid on youtube ever mentioned "This is not a blank gun".....i dont know man, the whole thing just looked so obviously faked to me :P .... I could be wong tho ;)

I think your overanalyzing this way too much, just like a woman overanalizes the way her man acts when he says something with a slightly different tone. I watched the videos posted and the firing looks real to me.

First off, why in the hell would you bring blanks to a firing range?

Second, the recoil on an autoloader isn't so *fruitcage* back really, its the revolvers that have the most becuase there is nothing to absorb recoil when fired.

I think your overanalyzing this way too much, just like a woman overanalizes the way her man acts when he says something with a slightly different tone. I watched the videos posted and the firing looks real to me.

Its called an intelligent conversation, or discussion... :huh:

First off, why in the hell would you bring blanks to a firing range?

Second, the recoil on an autoloader isn't so *fruitcage* back really, its the revolvers that have the most becuase there is nothing to absorb recoil when fired.

First off...I don't know, thats why I'm curious.

Second.... What?? Who told you that?? No offence but I think you'd better read my signature dude... :)

K, i can't resist.... :P In theory yes, a revolver should direct all the recoil energy into the shooter; and in a pistol, slide mass + recoil spring resistance etc etc shud absorb the energy (in physics...not to be an *albartroth* here....just having intelligent discussion.... :P ).

There are other factor involved here.... with a revolver theres a gas discharge from the cylinder and the barrel, thus reducing the energy/recoil slightly. With semiauto, even tho the slide absorb more energy than a revolver, it also replaces the balance of the gun thus creating a different kind of recoil felt by the shooter.

With a revolver, the energy is transfered more to your palm, and wrist with a pistol. So in reality, provided barrel length, weight of the gun, load of ammo are similar, the transfer of energy should be similar even tho the way or direction of the recoil is different.

There..... I said it..... ;)

*Infos from some trustable source*

Regarding IPSC and amateur shooter, the reason the difference is so huge is due to the mods done to competition guns.

Again a point that is true, but it doesn't explain how they can handle a stock Glock 17 (in production division) in a completely different manner than beginning shooters.

You are right, the guy in the video looks quite skinny to control a .50 DE, but you should also notice how the gun sways really low after each shot. That means he's using a lot of force for recoil control, which makes the muzzle flip decrease but actually getting the index back is only slower.

When I was shooting the DE, I deliberately unlocked my elbows to get a relaxed index and better recoil control. Sure, the gun retreated a long way and flipped up quite a lot, but it returned to index quicker because the muscles were relaxed. I would say that the shooters you've seen in other videos are handling the recoil in this manner, while the teenager in the clip (over which we are debating) has a bad habit of trying to control recoil by force.

The recoil of a gun of X weight with a Z length barrel and Y cartridges with the same bullet and load is the same according to the laws of physics, but an autoloader absorbs the recoil and delays it over a larger time scale, which makes the perceived recoil much smaller. In this light it is completely right to say in layman's terms that autoloaders kick less than revolvers. You can make an empirical test if you have a Desert Eagle: Shoot a few rounds. Remove the gas piston, and shoot a few more. You will definitely notice how much sharper the recoil becomes. I've done this, and the .50 DE suddenly turned from a slow moving heavy beast to a sharp-kicking thai boxer. It was not deliberate though, the gas piston snapped and there was no replacement for it. :P

-Sale

K, i can't resist.... :P In theory yes, a revolver should direct all the recoil energy into the shooter; and in a pistol, slide mass + recoil spring resistance etc etc shud absorb the energy (in physics...not to be an *albartroth* here....just having intelligent discussion.... :P ).

There are other factor involved here.... with a revolver theres a gas discharge from the cylinder and the barrel, thus reducing the energy/recoil slightly. With semiauto, even tho the slide absorb more energy than a revolver, it also replaces the balance of the gun thus creating a different kind of recoil felt by the shooter.

With a revolver, the energy is transfered more to your palm, and wrist with a pistol. So in reality, provided barrel length, weight of the gun, load of ammo are similar, the transfer of energy should be similar even tho the way or direction of the recoil is different.

There..... I said it..... ;)

*Infos from some trustable source*

Well I appreciate your open-mindedness to the situation, but I still have to disagree.

I will back up my claims with some links alright? becuase we can be 'think' what we want, but the 'fact' is :

Click here look under 'usage differences'

Good amount of recoil? I can't control a *fruitcage* 9mm that well! I'm accurate with it, it just jumps around on me alot. First time I shot it I almost got smacked in the nose :flamed:

As for what he's doing wrong.....he's leaning back instead of forward?

Good amount of recoil? I can't control a *fruitcage* 9mm that well!

As for what he's doing wrong.....he's leaning back instead of forward?

Hes limp wristing it. Holding the gun wrong. Arm is bent too much, he doesnt have the beaver tail in between thumb and pointer finger. You should be able to draw an imaginary line that is an extension of the slide up your forearm. And he looks like one of those guys that is like 5'3" tall and drives a monster truck :D

Well I appreciate your open-mindedness to the situation, but I still have to disagree.

I will back up my claims with some links alright? becuase we can be 'think' what we want, but the 'fact' is :

Click here look under 'usage differences'

Hey no sweat dude :) Appreciate the link, but no offence but I sorta disagree with him. Some of the things he said are not exactly "fact", but rather "opinion", and he was cool enough to state:

OK now, these are carefully labeled as my opinions.  What does that mean?  It means I fully believe in what I write, but I am sure that there are others that do not agree, perhaps think the opposite.

I am in no way critical of anyone who doesn't agree.  I write that I don't like brand X, you like it, it does what you want it to -- then you have made the correct decision for you, following my advice would be wrong.  If you have never bought one, then perhaps my opinion on brand X will be helpful?  But nothing is right or wrong, no hard feelings, please?

And i think it's still fine with me if you claim that revolver has a stronger recoil than a semiauto pistol, you could be absolutely right, but its just that my experience has been the opposite. Some people has also state that theres a difference in "recoil" and "perceived recoil". Maybe thats what I'm experiencing..... :)

1911: If you ride a motorcycle with or without rear suspension, in which case your bum perceives the bumps on a road as bigger ones? The thing is, semiautomatics have "suspension" and it softens the recoil, even if the recoil generated by the cartridge is the same (for example a 9x19 mm revolver and autoloader).

Naturally you'd have to compare two guns with a similar weight. A heavy revolver will seem easier to shoot than a plastic framed USP.

1911: If you ride a motorcycle with or without rear suspension, in which case your bum perceives the bumps on a road as bigger ones? The thing is, semiautomatics have "suspension" and it softens the recoil, even if the recoil generated by the cartridge is the same (for example a 9x19 mm revolver and autoloader).

Naturally you'd have to compare two guns with a similar weight. A heavy revolver will seem easier to shoot than a plastic framed USP.

Yup i realise that, and i did mentioned provided the barrel length, ammo load, are similar. I agree that semiautos have "suspension" to absorb recoil, and it would seem logical to say revolver direct all it's energy directly to the user. But reality seems to be a bit different, due to many factors. Slide resisting spring, slide returning to battery position, which btw pushes the frame backward etc.

The "suspension" of a semiauto doesn't actually reduce recoil, but it probably spreads it out over a little more time, which some may interprete as reduced recoil than a revolver. That is what i meant by perceived recoil.

:)

Archived