Best sniper ammo?

MDK_Marshal

What's teh best brand/weight of ammo you've used to date?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What's teh best brand/weight of ammo you've used to date?

• Digicon/Straight
    • Maruzen SGM's
    • Excel
    • Marui
    • Xtreme
    • KSC Perfect
    • Other (please state)

balberoth, you have the exact same setup as me apart from the hop rubber. i use a firefly SOFT rubber while you use a hard one :)

I would say either get a new hop rubber, as the soft is holding up well in my vsr, and wont cause bbs to overhop, or change to TM .3g, being slightly heavier, they might hit that sweet spot on 2 clicks where the .29s are overhopping slightly.

I have tried 5 different types of bbs in my gspec:

SIIS .33g

Maruzen .29g SGM

TM .3g

Digicon .36g (graphite coated, but washed off the graphite)

Marushin .3g

out of all those, the TM .3g performed best, maruzen .29g came second, SIIS .33g came third, and there was no distinguishable difference between the digicon .36g washed and the marushin .3g.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alrighty this has got my thinking now. Does the consistency of digicon bb's improve when you was off the graphite coating? I got my sniper rifle last weekend, and fired maybe 100 shots through it to zero the scope and test range. Every so often, I'd have a shot that would fly lovely and straight, then others that would wing sharply left and right. It's definately not the way I'm holding the rifle as I had it level at the time.

Is there enough of a reason to wash the graphite off of the bb's?

Sirrith, thanks for the advice, I've been a little dubious about TM 0.3s because everyone seems to rave about TM .25s, but I found them to be quite poor in my AEG, I'm currently thinking of trying some digicon uncoated .36s, and I'm really just wondering if my setup is enough to propel them a decent distance.

Also, what FPS do you have with .2s, cuz I won't have access to a chrono for a little while, and I'm curious what my rifle is firing at (roughly)

Cheers

With .2 im getting ~450fps

I think that .36 will reduce range too much compared to SGM and .3gs, though I have never tried an actual .36g in my rifle (washing off the graphite coating removes weight, so its no longer .36 :P)

The reason I washed the graphite off my bbs was that I cleaned my barrel after a few mags (not vsr, KJ m700, so thats only 11rds per mag) and the tissue came out dark grey.

The KJW M700P comes full of horrid grease/gunk and if you shoot it before cleaning as much as possible, it gets blown into your barrel. Expect the KJW barrel to be black, after only a few magazines, but it isn't from green gas or graphite... it's just the stuff KJW M700's are plastered in. After a while the barrel stays cleaner for longer and left/right accuracy perks up abit. Keep cleaning that gun all the time after use.

I would get Marui 0.30g if you have a choice as they are my number 1 favourite manufacturer. Although I still have ot had any of those pellets myself. I currently use the G+P 0.28g in the M40a1 and they produce good results while I run the rifle in. The pellets are labelled as being 5.93mm-5.97mm so not the highest quality but nice and polished and cheap.

SIIS 0.30g and SGM 0.29g both are labelled as 5.95mm-5.97mm. I have some of both to try next time out on the range if it's a calm day. I also have 0.36g (non coated) too. A fellow hunter has 0.43g digicon (coated) but i've never seen them shot yet.

I feel the close choice of 0.28g, 0.29g and 0.30g now available, aids a bolt action player utilise his gun with 1 hop setting to quickly adapt his gun to different situations. Just change magazines to achieve different trajectory. This is more viable with a spring rifle, due to the low cost of spare mags compared to gas. Sometimes this will give you the edge you need.

I used to use 2 mags of 0.30g and 2 of 0.36g in my APS2 and switch for long range or mid range as required. I think I shot more with 0.30g (MARUZEN) than the 0.36g though. ;)

I've got some 0.36g uncoated Digicon Straight BBs on the way, when they get here (not until next week cuz of the Easter bank holiday) I'll give them a good comparison to the SGMs, and hopefully that'll help somebody, as the 0.36g are actually a little over half the price of SGMs, so if they're better in a 450ish FPS rifle, then I'm sure that'll save somebody a few quid.

As an aside, has anybody tried Blaster 0.25g in an AEG? I've got some of those tacked onto the same order, I've been using ICS 0.25g until now, and found them to be very good (infinitely better than Marui 0.25g, which were nothing short of awful when I tried them) but I hear that ICS have declined in quality recently, so I'm trying something different, if anyone would like to give me a little info about what to expect that'd be nice, but if not then I'll just try them and post my results here.

The AEG ammo might seem inappropriate, but we all need something to load our backups with, don't we? and as one of my "backups" is an upgraded M15A4 Carbine I thought it'd be useful for someone.

Archived