Top gear

twiglet

Stealthbomber, if you are actually stating that the term Gay comes from southpark.. well, I don't know what to say. How about No.

I was not allowed to watch SP as a kid, in fact the first time I watched it was in year 9, that would make me... 13.

I distinctly remember as a child of 7 years going up to the kids in the year below and asking them if they were gay, since they didn't know what it meant there was obviously a couple of yes's and hilarity ensued with me shouting "haha your gay!"

Looking back on it now was it really that funny? no. was it at all funny? no.

----------

If you called me a fat ######, I would obviously take offence because (and lets be honest, you know this too) that is highly insulting. However, we are talking about using a relatively new word for describing homosexuals and how it is used to imply something about a car.

There is no single minded attack on an individual, and as it happens, I'm not fat, but if I were and I knew you well enough I would probably crack a joke about your mother in response, it's a joke, get over it.

Also, Jeremy is not staring blankly into the TV set and calling the entire homosexual audience to the show gay wankers now is he? No, he is implying the stereotypical characteristics of homosexuals in a comedic manner, not intended to offend anyone whatsoever, every single one of Clarkson's comments has to be taken with a pinch of salt, and I can attest to you now, when James and Hamster take the ###### out of Jeremy for his car being gay car of the year, I laugh, because that is the intended effect.

if you consider me somehow biggoted because of that then you really are living in a bubble, differences are there to be celibrated, we define ourselves by our differences from others, it is human nature, why else do Englishmen always seek each other out in foreign countries.

That's life, you joke about differences, you poke fun. Well, maybe you don't.

I really can't be arsed to explain it any more, hopefully most people reading this will see my point and not skim over it just so they can break it down and attack my argument piece by piece.

There's a reason people like Ricky Gervais, Billy Connolly, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, etc etc. are considered funny, just watch their shows and try not to laugh, Eddie Murphy's white american accent is a classic, am I to get offended when he does it? am I buggery!

Now I'm off to play Wii and find humour in my friends misgivings.

hbc.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stealthbomber, if you are actually stating that the term Gay comes from southpark.. well, I don't know what to say. How about No.

Are you really saying that you don't understand what I'm saying?

Of course terms like "queer" and "gay" existed to describe homosexuals and have done for probably a hundred years.

However, Southpark popularised the idea of making use of the word "gay" to describe anything bad.

If you really can't see the difference (and why this usage is more insulting towards homosexuals) then it's probably best if you just stop posting about it. :)

Well, I understand what you are saying, I just think it's bull *beep*. When I was a kid it was well-used, before southpark ever reared it's head.

Your a minority, most people can never understand your reasoning for doing what you do, most people have a stereotypical view of your appearance and behaviour.

Yes, that's right, your a perfect insult!

Saying that Southpark did it is beyond stupid.

Well, I understand what you are saying, I just think it's bull *beep*. When I was a kid it was well-used, before southpark ever reared it's head.

Your a minority, most people can never understand your reasoning for doing what you do, most people have a stereotypical view of your appearance and behaviour.

Yes, that's right, your a perfect insult!

Saying that Southpark did it is beyond stupid.

Eh? :blink:

I'm going to assume you don't understand the difference between "your" and "you're" to make sense of this post.

In which case, you are STILL not understanding what I'm saying.

If you say "You're queer" or "you're gay" to me then it's a direct insult. It's aimed at me. I can respond by saying "No, I'm not" or "Pfft! So what?!".

If, however, you spend your time saying that everything from a low-standard computer game to a bad movie is "gay", surely you must see that, by inference, you are comparing bad things to gay people on a continual basis?

Aside from anything else, don't you see that you are being subverted by anti-gay rhetoric?

You are being led to link bad things with homosexuals.

You are being desensitised toward insults on homosexuals.

As I said, try substituting the word "black" for the word "gay" every time you make a derogatory comment and see how long you last before you upset a black person.

While it's true that homosexuals have adopted the word "gay" to describe themselves, I think you'd have to be pretty stupid to try and suggest that using the word "gay" in a derogatory way has no homosexual inference.

When you call a sh*tty PC game gay you are saying "That game is as bad as a homosexual" and that is not a very nice thing to do. :waggle:

You're

correct in that using 'gay' to describe things is particularly base and moronic, and is only entered into by teenagers. I do understand what you're talking about now, though you didn't make it obvious at first as there are many different levels to which one can approach this.

I was not talking about kids, this thread is about JC and his referal to gay stereotypes in describing automobiles. Anyone who says "Dude that's so gay" at the drop of a hat, is an idiot. However I thought that was obvious to anyone with a lick of sense, it doesn't even require debate. I assumed we were debating whether it's ok to take the micky out of anyone for their differences to yourself, I say it is, when used appropriately.

Oh. Seems we here in Duckland beat you to it by good ten years or so. I recall people using the word "pedalski" ("gay") as an insult in early 90s.

But Yanks are notorious for being slow. ;)

Dude,.......................you realize you're Polish? :P

Everyones talking about stereotypes and such,........just thought I'd mention that.

All in good fun. :D

But seriously, No Southpark did not "invent" the negative use of "gay".

They did coin the phrase "HellaGay" though. :P

Ahh, but in the UK we don't make the difference that you guys in the States do TV is TV, the way it gets in your house doesn't matter so much. Oddly enough though I think most swearing on British TV comes from HBO.

And as for nudity, we have something called the watershed, which means you have to stay up after 9pm to get any decent nudity. And we trust that parents will show some responsibility in their child-rearing and decided when to send their kids to bed..... it's not as if we've got nude Blue Peter or anything.

HBO is an optional station that can be restricted. Alot of your advertisements involve nudity as well. Stuff like that can't be easily censored to children.

As far as the Watershed, I know about it. But I also know it's not strictly followed. Full-frontal female nudity is often seen at much earlier times of the day.

6th - Bugatti Veyron

:huh:

Quite possibly the most awesome piece of mechanical automotive engineering EVER and it is in that list. If that car isn't seen by all as the most macho car about, this world really has taken a trip down the ######.

and yes, I have intentionally avoided the main line of debate at hand in this thread :P

Archived