I Love Flecktarn

Phoenix

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta admit I'm quite the flecktarn addict myself, been fascinated by it ever since first seeing uncle's uniform around the time it was introduced in the German army. I've managed to acquire a nice set of gear through him along with some tidbits from ebay, including a kevlar helmet, flak jacket, fallschirmjäger pants (more pockets than the standard BDU, which I've also got), and the regular stuff like shirts, parka, poncho etc...

The only downside I can think of is the high cost of flecktarn tactical vests, which I unfortunately don't own. There's one or two cheap IMO not so nice generic vests out there, but the KHS KSK vest, the Moskito standard issue vest and the new multidesign "infanterist der zukunft" vest are all in the 400 to 550€ category, and there are as of yet very little second hand items out there. <_< Maybe some day, if prices go down....I'd love to have the Moskito vest with the P8 leg holster.

One small tip for those who don't mind bothering with a little "Doisch" : try ebay Germany, lots of surplus army stock and gear from ex-servicemembers to be had there for a bargain. I've picked up stuff for myself or friends such as brand-new kevlar helmet with camo cover for 50€, like new flakvest for 22€, mint backpack for 10€.... Seems better like most prices I hear mentioned here, and most Germans are able to read English, so you only need to be able to understand a little German.

I got a black balaclaver for 2:50 (GBP) from a motercycle store, looks identical to the ones they wear in the photos Doc Newstead posted. I wear that with a field cap over the top, with mesh goggles I took of a sansie mask.

After I get a PAGST helmet and helmet cover ,I would like to get a gasmask. Does anybody know if the German gasmasks (check Flecktarn.co.uk's gallery) will be able to witstand bbs? It would be great for CQB.

Cheers.

That jacket looks very familiar, I've got 2 just like it ;)

Just a piece of advice on Flecktarn jackets... they will get quite warm in the summer heat... Based on my own levels of heat tolerance I can wear a Flecktarn jacket (with a t-shirt on underneath) up until it gets around 72F within reasonable comfort, anything past that is just asking for it. With a field shirt on and no load-bearing equipment I can usually stand temperatures up into the 90s. Field shirts are usually pretty cheap and would be worth your while if you like softing in the summer heat ;)

In my experience Flecktarn gear is very comfortable, briars and thistles don't stick to them like my woodland gear, and the jackets are practically windproof, even with the icy winds off Lake Superior, the only time it wasn't was when I was outside in freezing, wind-driven rain for over 5 hours doing some water testing for an engineering class

Welcome to the wonderful world of Flecktarn, enjoy :D

Very nice example you picked up there Scizz, looks almost like new!

Sound advice coming from Destrukto there though, a field shirt will be much more comfortable during summer. Depending on the climate where you live (and I have no idea what the climate in Ohio is like, I must admit), you might also want to consider tracking down a BW "unterziehjacke" (under jacket) for your parka for use during winter. It can be had for something like $20 online and with a shirt underneath will keep you nice and warm up to mild freezing conditions. ;)

You can pick up the jacket liner by itself for around $12 from Sportsmansguide, but when I ordered mine they goofed and sent me another Flecktarn jacket along with it :D

With the liner, the jacket will keep you very warm with a field shirt on underneath, even without the liner and just the shirt it's still quite warm.

With the liner and field shirt, I can stand temperatures down to about -20F

Without the liner, I can usually stand temperatures down to around 10F

But this is based off of my personal experiences and I have a higher tolerance for colder temperatures than most people so don't take it on face value

My climate tolerance is quite good actually. I just need to find something to match it in the form of pants. It looks very off with US BDU's on under it.

I am thinking the jacket will go well with my OD Seal 2000 vest though (Just wish I could find out if the vest has adjustable shoulder straps!), eventhough its the wrong country, but who really cares.

But, I dont come to Michigan for the dead/dreary sites, I come for the family!

I have a bunch of family in the UP.... baraga to be exact.

So how does the Fleck fare in the deep south?? or is it kind of sketchy?? I know it fares better in a Michigan summer than the cotton US BDUs and I was the only one comfortable wearing full gear in August when it got up to 85F...

I just hope I don't end up in a hospital in Birmingham this summer :blink:

Get a 3L camelbak and you should be fine, just roll the sleeves up some. Ive foudn that by rolling my sleeves up I cool off alot faster it seems. As far as blending in, it blends in pretty well just about any time of the year, as theres still alot of green around here in the winter. Even then, in the dead winter, it works alot well than US BDU's, or Desert camos. The only thing that could beat woodland fleckarn in the fall is desert flecktarn. Everyone comments on how well it blends in, even when I am moving!

Just wondering, what exactly will you be in Birmingham for? If you get a chance you could drive to our field in Dawsonville GA (30 mins north of ATL) and play with some guys I know)

I'll be in Birmingham for a summer job, I know it's a long way from Michigan, but last summer I couldn't even get a job at a fast food joint, so this summer I decided to head to Alabama where I've got family and a job already lined up working in a saw mill..

I might have to make a little trip out to Georgia if you guys hold an op or something along those lines ;)

Cheers, maybe I'll see another Fleckie on my travels this summer ;)

I hope you have educated your group in the way of the Fleck, wouldn't want them to not see us or anything ;)

unfortunatly no, they have not seen the educated ways, but insist upon the barbarisms of Marpat, and even tri color desert in the woods. Only hicaps are used, thats how I got all my locaps, people just throwing em away. We do have soem good games tho, and locaps vs all hicaps makes for some very intense night games.

Now, Longhairedhippy might be out there, nad in flecktarn possibly. My firned has flecktarn, but no gun yet. Also, alot of the Georgia Tech guys use flecktarn, so there may be more than jsut me, but so far I'm the only regular.

desert?? and I thought alpenflage in the snow was bad... well at least the ones in MARPAT are attempting to conceal themselves :rolleyes:

Anybody throwing away AK lo-caps that I should be aware of?? ;)

Maybe I should pick up some more AK mags, they seem to like to shoot a lot eh?

Georgia Tech... oh the irony... I'm transferring to Michigan Tech next year :)

At least they follow the ways of the Fleck and not the barbarisms of MARPAT, woodland, or desert ;)

Don't tell me that the barbaric ways of the Armalite are present down there too... :(

Oh well, I guess there needs to be 2 different reforms... get rid of that MARPAT/woodland ###### and get real camo - Flecktarn... and replace those Armalites with AKs and H&Ks :D

webbing support pads can be got from Flecktarn.co.uk (they have most everything flecktarny) but the one in my photo above is the cheap SAAV that Flecktarn.co.uk sell (£27.50 i think) and it works very well! and straps are all padded for comfort ^^

Wibb I love your G36K I give it a A+. Your Fleck set up is top notch. Oh and I just bought the Commando Sweater, Flak Jacket, Field Jacket ,Pants, Black Pistol Belt and Blackhawk Holster for my Birthday. And Wibb dont get a Kevelar Helmet they are not original. Instead of buying a SAAV like every body else, I am going to buy a Camo Chest Harness or a Blackhawk DOAV or a RAT which they called them at Cheaper than Dirt pictured below.

Wibb I love your G36K I give it a A+. Your Fleck set up is top notch. Oh and I just bought the Commando Sweater, Flak Jacket, Field Jacket ,Pants, Black Pistol Belt and Blackhawk Holster for my Birthday. And Wibb dont get a Kevelar Helmet they are not original. Instead of buying a SAAV like every body else, I am going to buy a Camo Chest Harness or a Blackhawk DOAV or a RAT which they called them at Cheaper than Dirt pictured below.

Archived