I Love Flecktarn

Phoenix

Do any of you flecktarnies own any Arktis gear at all?

Mmmmm, they've got some VERY Gucci gear in their new super-duper catalogue. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about a pair of their combat trousers and their hot weather shirt in Flecktarn (would all go nicely with my BW ripstop Recce smock).

The other seriously tempting possibility is to switch over to Arktis DANCAM kit. :wide-eyed:

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you can get desert and some arctic flecktarn on www.flecktarrn.co.uk

Hmmm........I think we need to differentiate between the generic designation of flecktarn and "flecktarn" as part of the German system of camouflage here. As already mentioned, "flecktarn" means "spot camouflage" which is a pretty generic designation that could be applied to any camouflage composed of "dots". Sticking to the official Bundeswehr designations though :

-Flecktarn is a dot camo pattern with colors ideal for woodland use,

-Würstentarn ("dessert camouflage", but often referred to as "Tropentarn"/tropical camouflage as well) is a dot camo with colors ideal for use in arid environments,

-Schneetarn is again, a pretty generic designation that could be applied to any camouflage intended for use in snow, but in the Bundeswehr refers to a camouflage composed of white with green "splashes". It certainly isn't related to any dot patterns.

So while you could choose to call any camouflage composed of dots "flecktarn", when you are referring to Bundeswehr camouflage the word flecktarn only and only applies to the woodland dot camouflage. For what its worth... ;)

Hey, call them whatever you want, just trying to clear things up. :) For conformity's sake I'd at least stick to only labeling dot patterns as flecktarn, the German snow camo has, as already mentioned, no similarity whatsoever to da fleck.

Well, theoretically, it can be used to indicate any shape. Fleck is the German equivalent of "vlek" in my native language, which translates as "smudge" or "stain" in English, and those come of course in all sorts of sizes and shapes. :D

I think you need to see the word flecktarn in a broader context, ie what type of pattern it has been traditionally used to describe, rather than attempting a exact translation.

Archived