Tanaka S&W 500

snowman

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed I have -Seems to be chrono-ing around 310 fps with 134a at 20C - Below my V-Comp, but maybe that's tweaked...

Big, feels a bit light (although it's over a kilo), but nicely balanced.

Great finish, although the metal slide plate looks a bit at odds with the frame and barrel (ABS, of course). Nice operation, but, of course, no kick :(

Cheers.

Indeed I have  -Seems to be chrono-ing around 310 fps with 134a at 20C - Below my V-Comp, but maybe that's tweaked...

Big, feels a bit light (although it's over a kilo), but nicely balanced.

Great finish, although the metal slide plate looks a bit at odds with the frame and barrel (ABS, of course). Nice operation, but, of course, no kick :(

Cheers.

I've found my M500 to be very sensitive to cylinder temperatures, and the first shot always comes out weak. Did you let the cylinder warm up before firing? After firing 14 shots rapidly (to try and use up the remaining gas) I chronoed it and it was a measly "tree-vo cey'm-sheist" FPS on green gas, but found it nearing "pyat'-zerro-zerro" on green gas, .2 BBs, warm cylinder, and hammer leaf spring cranked all the way up. Oh, FPS figures are in Russian, because I don't want to get busted for bespeaking "high" FPS figures, so find a russian speaker to get you the numbers ;)

In a nutshell, 310 FPS sounds a bit low on 134, so I recommend letting the cylinder warm, fire the first round, then begin chronoing after that. You can also turn the leaf spring screw on the handle to lower/raise the FPS.

Well the gun was gassed and in my 20C+ loft all day, so I reckon it was warm enough.

I fired 30-40 rounds and all were in a similar range. My PO fired 300fps on green gas, which is roughly what I'd expect, at the same time.

It's quite possible, though, that the leaf spring is cranked to a low setting.

Actually, this (if confirmed by more tests) is probably quite good news for UK skirmishers as it means you can safely skirmish the 500 on 134a.

Cheers

OK - Just tested my Tanaka revolvers at 15m (best I can do).

Compared the S&W M29 6.5" with the S&W M500 - Both used 134a gas and .25g BBs and it's about 18C this morning in the garden.

Firing at a 10inch x 12 inch box, the 500 put all 6 rounds in a 6 inch grouping, but near the bottom of the box (below the aimpoint, which was the centre). I haven't touched the hop-up, so I guess this can be compensated for.

The M29 only hit the box twice. However, rather than veering off left or right, the issue appears to be an overly strong hop-up, with the shots flying straight, but veering over the box in 2/3rds of the cases. I haven't touched the hammer spring, so I cannot say if this can be compensated for.

So, I think it's true to say that the 500 IS more accurate than the 29s, but the issue with my 29 (at least) is a hop-up that requires heavier than .25g BBs, which HAS been observed by other reviewers.

Cheers.

Yes, I remember when I tested my M629 Performance Center V Comp etc etc, using .43g BBs and green gas @ 13 degrees C, @ 20 meters range, it seemed like the .43g ammo was only slightly too heavy for the hop-up - most shots hitting the lower part of the A4 sheet I was aiming at.

.36g BBs would probably have resulted in a straight flight path.

If the M500 can produce straight flight paths with lighter BBs, then I think that's only a good thing. :) Carbon coated Straight BBs are expensive, and quickly leave a layer of carbon filth in the barrel.

Archived