Tanaka S&W 500

snowman

Ah well, it was difficult to know how much you knew of Tanaka's range and there are other posts saying "Ah, shucks, if it ain't metal, it ain't a real 'volver, cousin Daisy", so I thought it worth pointing out that it isn't going to happen.

As far as I know, no-one ANYWHERE makes a full metal revolver, though.

Totally agree on the midnight blue finish, though. My M29 is the loveliest airsoft thing I've ever seen.

Cheers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe HFC currently do a full metal revolver range (either that or its false advertising on the part of the ebay sellers who I've seen selling them) but I can't imagine they are anything other than rubbish for skirmishing or even display.

I remember spotting aftermarket metal kits for the tanaka redhawk not too long ago at UN, but the price was a little bit on the high side.

still, worth it for that perfect display piece.

and here's a heart breaking story- an m629 midnight got sold on ebay only last week- I missed it by a hair. A hair I tell you :( I'd happily double the price the guy took for it too, but thats auctions for ya...

That would be false advertising - I believe the HFC revolvers have a metal cylinder and MAYBE a metal barrel but I sort of doubt it. Either way, you get what you pay for. UNCo still has a variety of metal kits available it seems, nice of them. Fair number of ways to make a full metal M29, though I don't think its in Midnight Blue which is what disappoints me.

And to alay your fears for that eBay auction - that gun sld for $175 off eBay says the seller. I was watching closely too and couldn't believe it went for $90. Seller mentioned he had a silver model available for $155 but I wasn't interested - might want to check it out.

So, if you want an off the shelf (rather than converted) metal gun, you will have to stick with Taiwanese GBBs from KJW and HFC.

Cheers.

That's not the problem, the problem is that you can't make it full metal, no matter what you try. Atleast any TM, KSC, or WA pistol can be finished off with aftermarket parts, but not much is offered in the way of metal frames and barrels for revolvers.

That would be false advertising - I believe the HFC revolvers have a metal cylinder and MAYBE a metal barrel but I sort of doubt it. Either way, you get what you pay for. UNCo still has a variety of metal kits available it seems, nice of them. Fair number of ways to make a full metal M29, though I don't think its in Midnight Blue which is what disappoints me.

And to alay your fears for that eBay auction - that gun sld for $175 off eBay says the seller. I was watching closely too and couldn't believe it went for $90. Seller mentioned he had a silver model available for $155 but I wasn't interested - might want to check it out.

twas a killer wasn't it? I hate it when ebay allows its sellers to settle up outside of the auction area- I know there's perfectly sound reasons for it, but I have my selfish hat on today...

and $175? would still have paid double for it...Been my dream revolver ever since they released them, but off course never had the money until now, when, like all good airsoft companies (see the TM g3a3 Debacle, the Maruzen grip version M870 Occurence, and the now-infamous WA SCW Bulldog Incident), tanaka hacked my bank account, realised I had the cash, and promptly stopped production.

ok, I know this isn't what actually happened (well, i don't, but admitting to it would be to admit my fears are correct...airsoft is trying to drive me mad. mad I tell you...), but thats how it feels sometimes...

had a near-heartattack when I checked on the availability of of 8mm m1 carbines for my next project- all out of stock! the horrors! Now Marushin are in on the game too! SWINE! but wait... phew, back in stock...

There are some serious cylinder binding issues with this gun. I got mine yesterday and this looks to be a design flaw on Tanaka's part. At first I thought the gun was locked until I tried the key but it was because you needed to use alot of force get the cylinder to turn.

The rest of the gun is typical Tanaka quality and there are some nice features carried over from the real steel. It is also seriously big, you really don't get a good idea just how big until you have it in front of you.

I'll post more details once I have a solution to the cylinder issue in my revolver tech thread on the tech page, assuming it hasn't been pushed completely off the forums by more "what am bestest gun" questions.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Google translated from First's Website

In stainless steel specification furthermore large force! 

■ TANAKA < S&W M500 stainless steel model > Pegasus revolver 

As the largest revolver, with the actual gun and carries out the debut of impact with the gas cancer/gun in the M500 which the stainless steel model additional line-up.

It is close with plating whose shelf mosquito proud material feeling is high, with the image of the actual gun, raises also force substantially.

May 14th of 2005 sale schedule

Someone at Tanaka is keeping tabs on me - May 14th's my birthday! :)

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

happy days!

I love my chrome tanaka 6" python, but I can't hit the side of a barn with it. from what I've heard so far, tanaka have finally made an accurate revolver, and now its in chrome. and its huge :)

Curses. does this mean the end of my colt python?!

• 2 weeks later...

Is that right? I saw it on GnG, but I wonder if they've simply muddled the description (and, likely, price) up when entering a number of guns.

I had an order in STRAIGHT away, but no response yet....

Cheers.

Hrm, I don't normally deal with gunsNguys, but WGC and DEN haven't got back to me yet about the silver M500, and I'm selling my black M500 locally in a few days....

What do they have the silver M500 listed as? Hmmm...I'm getting my M29 in on Mondayish, I think it's time to blow some greenbacks on another M500 :) Snowman, would you take a few nice pics when you get yours, please?

Personally (and I've dealt with all 3), I ALWAYS prefer GnG over the other two - Faster to get stuff in the post in my experience.

It's listed as a Tanaka now - They fixed the site.

Don't worry photos will feature, I'm interested to see how good the silver finish is as I had a few minor issues with the 8" 629, but the V-Comp's is flawless.

Cheers.

Snowman..."quick" off topic questions...the only HK retailer that I haven't dealt with is GnG. When I convert their HKD to USD on the internet currency conversion, is that the price that I will be paying? Sometimes when I do that, their prices don't seem that cheap. How are their shipping quotes compared to others? And lastly, how do you go about paying them by Paypal? thanks.

Snowman..."quick" off topic questions...the only HK retailer that I haven't dealt with is GnG.

When I convert their HKD to USD on the internet currency conversion, is that the price that I will be paying? Sometimes when I do that, their prices don't seem that cheap.

I guess so, of course I convert to UK Pounds, so if the US$ is weak I don't see that.

How are their shipping quotes compared to others?

Pretty much identical to the UK.

And lastly, how do you go about paying them by Paypal? thanks.

When you order, they send a quote (like Den or WGC), which will have a US$ value, too, you can then just tell them you want to pay via Paypal and they'll give you the e-mail address to send it to.

Cheers.

OK - It's here!

I'm at work, so I can't tell you how it shoots or post any pictures, yet, but...

If you haven't seen a 500, the thing is incredibly big. It makes a Raging Bull look a bit puny!

On the positive side, S&W used the K frame grip on the X frame, so it's quite easy to hold (smaller grip than a .44 Magnum 29) and reaching the trigger is no problem.

Mine exhibits no issues with binding as Cerebus reported on his black gun, so maybe he was unlucky. The hammer and cylinder work like clockwork, with a light but very positive action. The trigger FEELS quite light, but I haven't got anything to compare it with to hand.

Whilst the box felt quite light (1.4Kg) the gun feels reasonably good in the hand. Although, it's fair to say the 1.1Kg Tanaka 500 is a whole 1000g lighter than the real thing!

Finish wise it looks very good. I had a 8 3/8" Model 29 and there were very faint brush marks (at least, they looked like that) on the barrel, when examined closely. Giving the gun a once over, there's no sign of any on the 500.

To the eye, the gun really DOES look like stainless steel.

The grips are fairly good, but creak a little (Hogues), so I'm already tempted to get some wood grips - Where are you, Seth? :)

Full review, of course, to follow on my website in due course.

Cheers.

That figures, god just doesn't want me playing with guns.

Well I'm glad to hear yours works ok Snowman. Would you be able to compare your 500 with my photos, particularly the cylinder / crane unit, I'm curious to know if there are any design changes, although since Seth also had no real issues with his it would seem that I got the lemon.

Chris

Archived