Deep Fire Gas Grenades

Catman

Ok, got the Mk2 working. I hand-cycled the two core body halves probably about 100 times to work the main o-ring in. Then, I cycled the valve plunger probably about 50 times to loosen up its' movement. Both were stiff and held tightly when the grenade first arrived.

Just tested without the plastic body halves and the grenade actually worked. In a hurry because I'm running late for work, I reassembled WITH the body halves this time and a very small load of BBs. The grenade indeed worked, throwing off the body halves with the farthest one going about 3 feet in the air and landing on the hood of my truck. The other three scattered in roughly a 24" circle around the grenade.

I didn't really see the BBs fly out too much. They more or less were scattered in a 1-2' circle with some farther ones coming to rest about 4-5' away, but some of that movement *may* have been the initial movement of grenade sliding across the ground and not fully being static when it detonated. I also didn't fill up that many BBs into the grenade so perhaps that will make a difference.

I'll try to run it a bit more later tonight or tomorrow, using more BBs and hopefully longer fuse delay. Will try to film it also if I get a chance, but all I have is a digital camera that can take short movies, not a real digital video camera.

In both cases, after filling the grenade with gas, I let it sit for at least a couple minutes.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try giving the core some grease too.

I can't get the body peices to fly very far either - that's when they do fly off. As for BBs, you can only fill it up to a certain point before BBs start getting wedged or stuck in the top parts of the body making it impossible to put the last body segment on. The M26 takes a huge amount of BBs too, would be nice if they went somewhere when it goes *pop*. <_<

At this point it's more of a auidable prop; would be better off with a blank fire grenade or a pyro.

Oil (10W pure silicone oil) did nothing initially. I doubt grease would either.

Appears that only "breaking in" the o-rings by physically hand-cycling the parts is what made mine work. The movement of the two core pieces separating is much easier now, as the friction was just too great for the gas to overcome initially.

The Mk2 plastic body pieces seem to fit together with less side-to-side slop than what Catman has noted with the M26 version.

hehe I've removed the grease from mine and they're firing ok but I never had to break them in.

I'm hoping Redwolf will wake up read my emails properly and realise that they've sent me an incorrect product and promptly send out some MK2 body parts. Though I don't hold much hope for the MK2 anything has to be better than these M26s.

Oh, if it's all gassed up with the body on and you grip it too hard, does it go off in your hand? Because mine do - I think my only real hope for these grenades now is some aftermarket replacement body made by a 3rd party.

but I never had to break them in.

Yeah man, the top core fit really tight into the bottom core. Fully gassed up and the halves would not even seperate due to the friction.

Oh, if it's all gassed up with the body on and you grip it too hard, does it go off in your hand?

Hm, sorry, haven't tried that, lol. I usually don't try to contain things that like to "explode" in my hand. :)

You are talking about squeezing the body itself? I could definitely imagine that squeezing the plastic body pieces would cause them to flex and want to push the two core pieces apart, thereby releasing the gas, so yeah, I don't doubt you'd see that problem.

[...]

Hm, sorry, haven't tried that, lol.  I usually don't try to contain things that like to "explode" in my hand.  :)

You are talking about squeezing the body itself?  I could definitely imagine that squeezing the plastic body pieces would cause them to flex and want to push the two core pieces apart, thereby releasing the gas, so yeah, I don't doubt you'd see that problem.

hehe yeah, I did it by mistake the first time, was trying to hold the grenade in my hand with the thumb on the spoon.

Dear all,

This is RedWolf again on behalf of Deep Fire. Deep Fire has read this post completely and while we are late on commenting on some of the previous posts, it appears that everyone has figured out the answers. Deep Fire did mention to let the grenades sit for a while after charging to let the gas settle before detonating. Additionally, the hot water method of heating the core is considered by Deep Fire as insufficient to heat the gas chamber since it takes a bit of time for the heat to work itself into the core from the surface. So while the surface may be too hot to touch, the core may still be quite cool. Additionally, the gas can itself is cold when you fill it into the grenade. But by no means should you EVER heat a gas can because it is propane and could explode (causing injury or even death).

The colder weather also makes the plastic shells a little less flexible and therefore when they are more stiff, they may not blow away from the core easily. They are rubbery plastic consructed, and in dry climates, Deep Fire recommends soaking these shells in water every now and then overnight to keep them moisturized and flexible.

The grease problem is something that Deep Fire admits might be causing the problem since they apply sufficient quantities to ensure the seal remains tight even after the grenade sits on store shelves for a while. As you have figured out, wiping the excessive grease off will actually enhance the performance of the grenade.

Additionally we have had some customers in the US use RED GAS and REGULATED CO2 gas for high performance. While we don't recommend it, one of our customers used regulated CO2 and it blew the shells 15 feet in all directions. But in the process, he also snapped the plastic retainer portion on the top of the grenade. Obviously these grenades were designed only for use with GREEN / TOP GAS for safety reasons. The last thing Deep Fire wants is for someone to lose an eye.

CATMAN, sorry about the silly response from our sales person, who is not clued into your case. Our customer service rep officer is at service@redwolfairsoft.com and not at sales@redwolfairsoft.com

I have already reminded our customer service rep Benny to send you the MK2 shells for free.

thanks!

RedWolf Airsoft

www.redwolfairsoft.com

CO2 for the win!

Hehe yeah, I'm going to get some Red gas in a few weeks and I been wanting to get some CO2 for ummm other experiments :P

TBH I dunno if these grenades could stand up to much use on CO2 the two parts of the core are essentially held together by a threaded tube.

Some good news: Redwolf have told me that they've sent out a "replacement" (I assume that means MK2 body parts) so when that arrives I'll be able to directly compare the differences :D

What you guys really need to do is instead of having a bunch of bb's inside exploding shell sections, you need to make a rubberized cover that holds BB's inside of a bunch of holes all around it.

If it's rubber, it will be more durable, a bit safer (but not by much), and it will hold the bb's in place, while also providing an airtight seal to send them flying.

It won't look as good as a normal grenade but it'll actually *work* like one if you do it that way.

(basically the holes in the rubber cover would act like a bunch of barrels, except with 1-3 bb's in each hole, depending on what part of the grenade it's in (the middle would hold the most).

Also, the inner side and outside of the cover would have slightly smaller holes to keep the bb's from falling inside or out of the grenade.

Banken,

I have been thinking of a similar idea.

Why can't a grenade be made with the same function of a moscart. Holes around the outside that you put the BB's into and the core inside fires the gas out of the holes ?

Have the outer surface covered in a rubber layer and your good to go.

You never know perhaps madbull may pick the idea up one day and actually make one.

There's some more videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=kaman3chan

Four videos, two per grenade type, one for "top gas" (I think this is regular green gas or something) and red gas. I think the digital readout is the temperature in celsius.

Could be evidence for the temperature effect, but they just as easily could have taken many shots until they got the perfect clip. I think this because it looks like the sun light changes drastically in the fourth video, though this could just be cloud cover moving.

Lol, call me crazy but when I was younger I think, and I think, that I actually saw a grenade like this on some video. Now I don't know for sure but I think it was as you all have just recently described. Some guy held the grenade and I could see all the little holes and then pop, there are a bunch of bouncing bb's around the room. Now I'm saying this out of a dim memory so I may be wrong, but I think that I did see something like this, and If the navy is interested in a grenade like this for whatever reasons of training or what not, then it must be a idea that has some potential. I really hope that madbull will pick this up, they are pretty reliable with their gas shells and this could be some ground breaking event, a working grenade!!!

Lol, call me crazy but when I was younger I think, and I think, that I actually saw a grenade like this on some video. Now I don't know for sure but I think it was as you all have just recently described. Some guy held the grenade and I could see all the little holes and then pop, there are a bunch of bouncing bb's around the room. Now I'm saying this out of a dim memory so I may be wrong, but I think that I did see something like this, and If the navy is interested in a grenade like this for whatever reasons of training or what not, then it must be a idea that has some potential. I really hope that madbull will pick this up, they are pretty reliable with their gas shells and this could be some ground breaking event, a working grenade!!!

Called a "Stinger" and is used in CT operations.

You are right, I saw that too but it was a custom made thing that used a firecracker as the charge.

you could see the whisps of smoke after it had gone off.

That would be illegal in the UK and probably in the US too but I'm not sure.

Has anyone seen the weapon in Eraser that "sits up" then jumps in the air before it goes off?

Airsoft needs one of those.

You throw it, it rolls onto its heavy end then the gas fires the pellets out of holes only drilled in the upper hemisphere.

much more efficient than going off in a sphere.

I officially patent that idea as the weeble grenade.

Stunt

LOL that grenade in Erazer was the only decent thing in that move :P

Redwolf sent me some MK2 body shells the other day and I tried to fit them on my M26 grenades.... they don't fit properly, the plastic collars are wrong. In some bumf from Deep Fire it states that the body parts are interchangable:

You will be able to purchase MK2 and M26 type shells, which will fit either of these grenades you see here. Basically both use the same innovative gas core.
as found here: http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...tail?newsID=772

If you look at the pictures you can see the (massive) differences in collars:

MK2 Pic

M26 pic

I've spoken to Redwolf and they've promised to send me some MK2 collars when they become available.

I found that you can kinda get the Mk2 Body shells to work with the M26 collars...you just need to put the segments in upside down :blink: You wouldn't want to BBs or anything in it though as there are some big gaps between the segments. However they body segments fly much further and better than their M26 counterparts.

On a footnote: Someone convince me to buy the M72! I want to buy it (and do a review on it) but everytime I add it to the cart my fingers freeze up over the "Checkout" button <_<

Archived