Best GBB to start again?

Cpt. Winters

Hello.

Perhaps it's not completely accurate to call myself a noob, since I used to play on a regular basis a long time ago. But as I completely missed the evolution of airsoft in the last years, I think it's fair to post my question here.

The thing is simple: I want to start playing again, but with a GBB (it must be an M4). I got bored with the AEGs, so I'm looking for something more realistic.

Now, I know that obviously GBBs are not the best choice when it comes to select a primary gun for skirmishes. Anyway, as I said I want to leave the AEGs behind and try something different.

I need something realistic (good looking), durable and reliable. I know it's difficult to find something in the airsoft world that doesn't need maintenance on a regular basis, but I want it to be as user friendly as possible. Something just to shoot, have fun and that's it (beside a basic maintenance not too often).

Money is not a problem, but I don't want to spend 1000 dollars on an overpriced product like the Inokatsu Superversion 2011.

I'm iffy on the WOCs. If something messes up, the compounding part costs seem to compile pretty fast.
I've had pretty good luck with my used, 3 year old WE M4, and apparently all the new-gen ones are pretty great. All problems with it were thanks to human error, my one breakage was my fault.
I have a WOC as well, retrofitted with great bits, but the wear and tear is getting to it and it costs much more to replace the bits. WE is pretty no nonsense.

No experience with LM4s, never even seen one. They cost twice as much but people seem to love them, glowing reviews and all that.

Based on your post, I suggest you sit and have a rethink. I not trying to be condescending, but there's a few contradictions in you post which will need clarification.

First up, if you want a gun you can pick up, fire, and doesn't need a lot of maintenance, you need to look away from gas guns now! They need way more upkeep than AEG's. Second of all, you want something that looks good, yet balk at the Inokatsu, which in terms of looks is only really challenged by the Vipertech rifles.

Unless you want your return to airsoft to be plagued by compromise I suggest answering these questions:

1. Are you a gamer or collector?

2. When gaming, is rolling round a field looking like a Spec Ops operator the most important thing, or do you want to get bb's down range as efficiently as possible?

3. Do you want to spend a lot of money tweeking your gun after the initial purchase has been made so you can keep up with the rest of the field, or do you want to buy and play, and be competitive straight out of the box?

4. Do you love changing mags, having to pull the charging handle or hit the bolt release even in the most hairy confrontation, or do you like to send laser streams of pinning fire at your enemy?

Answering those questions will help you decide if you're ready for gas. IMHO, gas guns are all about the rifles, AEG's / TW are all about the game. People talk about how great gas guns are, and don't get me wrong, I love em' to bits, but when I'm playing, all that about recoil, and realism and having a gun that feels alive goes straight out the window, all I want is to place my bb's accurately and consistently on target.

I personally have a collection of gas guns, whilst my work horses are all AEG's, that way I serve the gamer and the collector in me without needing to compromise.

And yes, I have two of those over-expensive Inokastu 2011 Super versions ;)

Whats the general perception of the AEG version full blowback(shell ejecting for example) in comparison to GBBR's? Is there a compromise to be had with high power BB AEG's in comparison to the original posters interest in GBBR's?

Shell ejecting are not for skirmishing you cant play with it due to the cost of the shells and picking them up, people either go systema ptw, TM recoil or GBBR

Shell ejecting are not for skirmishing you cant play with it due to the cost of the shells and picking them up, people either go systema ptw, TM recoil or GBBR

That's a strange conclusive response to the question. How does Systema even come on the radar, or does Systema now produce a range of recoil / gas blow back rifles???

If gun model isn't a priority (or IS a priority depending which you prefer), then I'd have to say a GHK post 2011 AK... 

While that was a demo of the prowin mag and some custom parts, a stock gun can do just as well with the standard 5.45 style 50 rounds mag. It's so reliable that I bought another one 2 weeks after my initial one... now I own a 2012 AKS74U and an Americanized AK105 (now reassembles a Rifle Dynamics AK). With Samoon being a website that supports this platform fully (with all spare parts / upgrade parts available in stock most of the time), if you like an AK, look no further, but if you don't really mind, then this will make up for it in terms of performance. 

This gun sort of goes... "sorry but we don't do cool down". 

That's a strange conclusive response to the question. How does Systema even come on the radar, or does Systema now produce a range of recoil / gas blow back rifles???

Is there a compromise to be had with high power BB AEG's in comparison to the original posters interest in GBBR's?

My vote goes TM MP7. If you need more power, slap an extended tightbore in there and cover it with a suppressor.

Accurate, fast RoF, light and recoils like a *beep*.

IF you MUST have an M4, go with a WE open bolt - all the WA systems I've encountered have had so many problems. :(

My vote goes TM MP7. If you need more power, slap an extended tightbore in there and cover it with a suppressor.

Accurate, fast RoF, light and recoils like a *beep*.

IF you MUST have an M4, go with a WE open bolt - all the WA systems I've encountered have had so many problems. :(

Youre gonna need lots of mags with the RoF from what i know haha.

-Hawaiian

I would say go with a WE M4. theyre cheaper, and the parts are readily available should you need them.

I recently sold off my KWA LM4 and went back to the WE system. The LM4 will almost invariably develop a problem with double feeding and jamming during rapid or full auto fire. This will happen even if you meticulously maintain it. And when you try to get some info out of KWA as to what needs to be replaced,  they'll just shrug and pretend they dont know what youre talking about. And Ive looked at more then a few at work with this same problem already, as well.

Until KWA fixes their faulty rifle I couldn't suggest spending close to $400 on one.

The WE will occassionally break a part here and there. Usually a loading nozzle, hammer or bolt catch. and you just replace said part usually for around $10. Or get upgraded parts at that time. there are guides for small mods you can do to stop bolt catch wear as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived