Magpul PTS BAD Lever

somegirls

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still don't understand why the PTS stuff costs as much, and in some cases more, than the R/S version...

Do we really have to get into the economics of this again? When a company (Magpul Industries) makes hundreds of thousands of units of a single item on a monthly basis, and then you have another company (Magpul PTS) making almost the exact same product but only a couple thousand every few months ... the fact that the second company is able to make the product at almost the same price is remarkable. It's simple economics, when you produce a product in large quantities, your unit cost is lower. So one could say that Magpul Industries is in fact ripping the customer off and getting a higher profit margin and Magpul PTS is selling things at about the right price and getting a much smaller profit margin. As for those saying the PTS plastic isn't the same as the RS Magpul plastic, you're right. It's industrially considered a grade below RS Magpul plastic, BUT it's still a grade ABOVE the plastic used in RS VLTOR Products. I have no doubt that this will come up again though. <_<

Back on topic, glad to see the PTS version is out. I wonder how it'll work with various airsoft guns out there. I know my RS BADs won't work on my VFC SR15s without modification to my VFC bolt release.

Do we really have to get into the economics of this again? When a company (Magpul Industries) makes hundreds of thousands of units of a single item on a monthly basis, and then you have another company (Magpul PTS) making almost the exact same product but only a couple thousand every few months ... the fact that the second company is able to make the product at almost the same price is remarkable. It's simple economics, when you produce a product in large quantities, your unit cost is lower. So one could say that Magpul Industries is in fact ripping the customer off and getting a higher profit margin and Magpul PTS is selling things at about the right price and getting a much smaller profit margin. As for those saying the PTS plastic isn't the same as the RS Magpul plastic, you're right. It's industrially considered a grade below RS Magpul plastic, BUT it's still a grade ABOVE the plastic used in RS VLTOR Products. I have no doubt that this will come up again though. <_<

Back on topic, glad to see the PTS version is out. I wonder how it'll work with various airsoft guns out there. I know my RS BADs won't work on my VFC SR15s without modification to my VFC bolt release.

True and most people must realize that not all people live in the USA and some of us live in country's with VERY restrict gun laws. In my country for example even airsoft is very regulated and an airsoft replica must and is treated by the same laws as a real weapon. Nearly all accessories are illegal to import to the country and virtually impossible to buy overseas, so Magpul PTS and other airsoft grade replicas are all we can get our hands on and even then i have to buy them within EU territory because importing them from US, HK or whatever would just be a major pain with customs :\

We didn't, and I am pretty sure no one else was going to jump in with a paragraph giving their opinion on the matter.

Then why is it people keep throwing out these pointless jabs when the subject has been done to death? I mean yeah, I get it, times are tough and most people inherently are cheap and the entire airsoft market has been turned upside down by the advent of ACM products. But sometimes the saying "you get what you pay for" is true. People only complain about this particular issue because either they don't understand the economics behind it ... or they just don't like the truth of it.

If magpul would care about economics they'd just sell the rs bad lever to airsofters.

Do we really have to get into the economics of this again? When a company (Magpul Industries) makes hundreds of thousands of units of a single item on a monthly basis, and then you have another company (Magpul PTS) making almost the exact same product but only a couple thousand every few months ... the fact that the second company is able to make the product at almost the same price is remarkable.

Is somewhat true, but PTS is producing in china were the wages for worker are a dozen times lower than in the USA where Magpul produces their RS parts.

So I'm 100% that the production costs are a lot lower in the end that the real steel one, Magpul just wants to make some nice money of airsofters.

No biggy, evey company does.

Economics, BBBBBBOOOOOOORRRRRRIIIINNNNGGGGG !!!

What's Peoples thoughts on the B.A.D. then ?

From the videos and reviews I have seen it seems to be a great solution to what is a slightly flawed design, its not really got much use in the Airsoft world but hey, I'm still going to try and get hold of one to PIMP my gun.

Elias

on a GBBR it has the same purpose as on a real weapon.

Oh yeah I do agree, I have a PTW so it wouldn't just be pure eye candy if I get one.

I think where it really comes into its own is aiding stoppage drills, and you wouldn't really do those type of RS drills with a PTW or GBB, thats what I meant by it not having much use within Airsoft.

Saw it with my own eyes today. It was $250 hk dollars in the shop. Thats about 23 quid? Looks very good. Quality is so much more superior than the Element copy.

I was told by the sales that it fits Systema and WE with little to no modification. As for WA system, the bolt catch might need some sanding.

on a GBBR it has the same purpose as on a real weapon.

Perhaps more; the WE really doesn't like when you load a full mag with the bolt closed. Best practice is to swap mags with an open bolt, and without a BAD lever it's a pain at best and impossible not to take your strong hand off the pistol grip.

Oh yeah I do agree, I have a PTW so it wouldn't just be pure eye candy if I get one.

I think where it really comes into its own is aiding stoppage drills, and you wouldn't really do those type of RS drills with a PTW or GBB, thats what I meant by it not having much use within Airsoft.

Perhaps more; the WE really doesn't like when you load a full mag with the bolt closed. Best practice is to swap mags with an open bolt, and without a BAD lever it's a pain at best and impossible not to take your strong hand off the pistol grip.

QFT

Since the bolt doesn't lock back automagically when you pull and let go of the CH, we have to lock the *bramston pickle* manually with the bolt catch/lock which is *badger*s because as kojak said we have to take our trigger finger to do it and use both hands to complete de operation.

With the BAD lever is much simpler and fast to do both initial reloads and reloads and thats exactly why i'm after one!

End of the day it's going to make anything you do with your weapon that involves the bolt catch quicker and easier. You'll be able to keep your weapon hand on the grip at all times and manipulate anything else you might need to (charging handle mainly) with your reaction hand, you'll have the mag catch, selector and bolt catch all within your control with the pistol grip still held.

Personally that's a big plus because I'm used to always operating a weapon that way from using the L85, and generally I think it makes more sense than cocking your weapon with your 'strong' hand. Certainly seems to be the way the magpul guys do it, hence why they came out with this I expect.

You're still paying like 30 bucks for what is essentially a bent strip of metal welded to a bolt release. Think about how much these cost to make...what, like 50 cents? a dollar? And yes you have to pay for R&D and manufacturing costs, sure, but as somegirls said these are made in china where wages are a LOT less

In any case I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, these are still neat

Must say, I think there's a huge double-standard at work in airsoft.

If you try and tell people there's a difference between Element and Systema internals, or that chinese gearbox shells are kinda poor, or that JG36s are a second-rate copy of the Marui design you get a bunch of people whining that you're an elitist snob etc.

Slap a Magpul label on it and suddenly that all goes away. :unsure:

It all kinda reminds me of how, when replica EoTechs first came out, all the wannabe's were bleating about how it ruined their fun cos an EoTech was, up until then, a badge of speshul-ness.

Anyway, I'll definitely be fitting these to my GBBRs cos, as others have said, regardless of whether you use it in clearance drills or not, it's always gonna be handy to be able to operate all the M16 controls with one hand.

I'm also tempted to stick one on my ICS M4 just to upset the wannabe's. :P

Archived