My CA SCAR arrived this morning! ! !

ellis2260

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice contribution to a thread if I was an anal person I'd neg rep you, but I'm not anal so wont. See pointless posts are a big waste of time.

It was an honest question from a newbie. I read in a magazine about an airsoft convention in the States, and it included a picture of the SCAR labelled "the convention saw the long-awaited SCAR". I also noticed it's above-average price, so I was left wondering.

This, being a thread about this particular gun, in an airsoft forum, seemed to me like an appropriate place to ask my question.

I'm really surprised no one in Arnie's has written up a new review of the SCAR yet. AEX's review is certainly comprehensive, but it's good to get a second, detailed opinion.

What´s so special about it? To my untrained eyes it looks like a regular, ugly AEG...

First off, it's the SCAR - the newest toy that U.S. Special Forces will be getting (that actually makes it to full-scale production). That alone gives it a bit of allure to Airsofters wanting to emulate the bleeding edge of modern militaries.

Second, it's a new player in the market. Many people use and own AR variants, and those wanting another type of AEG that's not their AR will find the SCAR-L and SCAR-H appealing.

(I would imagine having another rifle that can accept AR mags is also a factor. It is for me – I’m planning to delegate my trusty upgraded M4A1 to a backup primary role once I buy a black SCAR-L. Having a rifle use similar AR magazines and a similar 9.6v mini battery that looks significantly different than an M4A1 is a big plus for me.)

Third, from what I've gathered, it's a seemingly good external replica for the price, given the amount of high-quality plastic and metal used to make it. Those who have modded TMs and CAs to make them more like their real-steel cousins can attest to the economic cost. Having a near-perfect replica straight from the Styrofoam makes it, in the minds of some, gives the SCAR a special “practical” value.

Finally, the internals seem to be more reliable and efficient than previous CA gearboxes. What used to take a 9.6v mini to operate a motor firing .20g 6mm bbs at 330 fps now uses only an 8.4v. There have been at least two reports of broken tappet plates on Arnies, though I don't know if that's because they are lemons or indicative of lacking quality control.

With those four reasons, I understand why some are calling the SCAR the next AR-15 of the market. First, it was the MP-5, then it was the M-16, now, it’s the SCAR. ^_^

Archived