Quandary

Pants of Death

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the USA, we have this saying "Innocent until proven guilty". In saying you don't trust people with the ability to defend themselves, you might as well say they don't have the ability to make their own decisions and shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Lord Blackgoat's country selector is down as France.

In France the court assumes you are guilty until proven innocent.

That puts his post in a better light I think.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Lord Blackgoat's country selector is down as France.

In France the court assumes you are guilty until proven innocent.

:huh:

So France is nothing but a giant holding cell, where you are held until you either escape or are called to trial to prove your innocence in one of the many crimes you're guilty of (from treason and mass murder to parking violations and ignoring stop lights)?

No, legally you are of course innocent unless proven otherwise...

But whatever the circumstances, if someone dies, someone else has to be responsible. It's called the "american syndrome" here, I think it comes from those massively stupid trials where people won lots of money from tobacco companies because they got cancer.

This leads to no one doing anything or authorizing anything to be done, by fear for being held responsible for the smallest problem, and is a royal pain in the butthole.

Of course, if you're a convicted rapist that is suspected of another rape, you'll have more troubles to convince the jury of your innocence, but isn't it the same everywhere?

And being a cop here isn't any easier, I've seen the job they had to do on the case of one of my former classmate who got abducted, raped, killed and burned (yes, we also have some serious psycos in France, and I don't give you all the details here) and the procedure is immensely heavy and difficult to cope with, the ###### could be freed for the smallest mistake in the procedure.

Please excuse my ignorance. I got a bit of information from a bloke and didn't check it out.

Apparently it was true during Napoleon's period of rule and thereafter for a while.

I also heard that France has 5 separate and independent police forces that cause a lot of jurisdictional issues.

No, legally you are of course innocent unless proven otherwise...

But whatever the circumstances, if someone dies, someone else has to be responsible. It's called the "american syndrome" here, I think it comes from those massively stupid trials where people won lots of money from tobacco companies because they got cancer.

This leads to no one doing anything or authorizing anything to be done, by fear for being held responsible for the smallest problem, and is a royal pain in the butthole.

Of course, if you're a convicted rapist that is suspected of another rape, you'll have more troubles to convince the jury of your innocence, but isn't it the same everywhere?

And being a cop here isn't any easier, I've seen the job they had to do on the case of one of my former classmate who got abducted, raped, killed and burned (yes, we also have some serious psycos in France, and I don't give you all the details here) and the procedure is immensely heavy and difficult to cope with, the ###### could be freed for the smallest mistake in the procedure.

OK. That makes sense. :)

Wait... is an American criticising another country's legal system? :rofl: :rofl: :lol: etc

:zorro:

404: Funny Not Found.

Or are you just upset that our judges and attorneys don't have to wear wigs in court?

No, I didn't misunderstand you. We have the law, and it's not really misused. Trust me, the CSIs are good at their jobs. And "self defense" killings aren't happening left and right.

Having weapons in society makes people tend to be a bit more polite as to not be such a ###### that someone feels the need to kill them.

EDIT: Not saying that people should be killed for insults or anything of the like!

The so-called "Frivolous Lawsuits " are way overblown by the media for an interesting story. I'll give an example here: The Mcdonalds Hot Coffee Lawsuit. What most people think happened here is, someone got burned by coffee, so they sued for millions.

What actually happened was Mcdonalds didn't want to have to make fresh coffee for orders, so they decided to make it extra hot. This way, they could get away with serving old coffee,and people wouldn't notice.

A spill from a normal cup of coffee is not really that bad, just a bit of pain. However, Mcdonalds extra hot coffee gave 3rd degree burns with virtually any direct contact.

Obviously, there were many complaints, mostly about burned children, sent in from parent and hospitals.

After this going on for some time, a lawsuit was eventually brought. The case that the prosecution made was essentially this:

Many people have been injured by this extremely hot coffee,just because Mcdonalds is just trying to save a few bucks. We aren't trying to put Mcdonalds out of business, merely to send a warning to stop injuring people.

Damages were awarded for the amount that Mcdonalds profits from coffee sale in ONE DAY.

How is that frivolous?

The so-called "Frivolous Lawsuits " are way overblown by the media for an interesting story. I'll give an example here: The Mcdonalds Hot Coffee Lawsuit. What most people think happened here is, someone got burned by coffee, so they sued for millions.

What actually happened was Mcdonalds didn't want to have to make fresh coffee for orders, so they decided to make it extra hot. This way, they could get away with serving old coffee,and people wouldn't notice.

A spill from a normal cup of coffee is not really that bad, just a bit of pain. However, Mcdonalds extra hot coffee gave 3rd degree burns with virtually any direct contact.

Obviously, there were many complaints, mostly about burned children, sent in from parent and hospitals.

After this going on for some time, a lawsuit was eventually brought. The case that the prosecution made was essentially this:

Many people have been injured by this extremely hot coffee,just because Mcdonalds is just trying to save a few bucks. We aren't trying to put Mcdonalds out of business, merely to send a warning to stop injuring people.

Damages were awarded for the amount that Mcdonalds profits from coffee sale in ONE DAY.

How is that frivolous?

Caveat emptor.

No, she sued based on the fact that no-one told her that cruise control wasn't auto pilot.

She got on the freeway, engaged the cruise control, got out of the driver's seat, went in the back and started to make a sandwich.

While the road was straight she was OK but at the first corner the RV went off the road and crashed.

[sarcasm]Luckily she was in the US and on the freeway so she was only doing 5mph.[/sarcasm]

No amount of clarification of details will get you past the fact that the US is the most litigious country in the world. There just has to be blame, no-one can be stupid or have an accident.

Alot of them don't make it through court, but the sheer fact that even get that far should be a sign that somethings wrong with the culture at least.

Mind you, the average advert break here in the UK now consists of..

Loan Advert - Accident Compensation Advert - Debt Advert.

--

Saying that, I'm still yet to hear an incident in this country where an insurance company sue's a brand of toasted teacake because they didn't inform buyers that the product could ignite if left in a toaster for an extended period of time. I've heard of insurance companies not wanting to pay out but that's rediculous.

No, she sued based on the fact that no-one told her that cruise control wasn't auto pilot.

She got on the freeway, engaged the cruise control, got out of the driver's seat, went in the back and started to make a sandwich.

While the road was straight she was OK but at the first corner the RV went off the road and crashed.

but thats an unfair lawsuit, she was just being cretinous. that'd be like sony being sued because they didnt say that blu ray disks cant be played on a sega megadrive, which is true, they dont but it would be moronic to assume so.

Archived