Any WWI experts?

SilentScope

So I asked in the weapons section of my favorite *chan website and got some amusing responses like LOL hit it with a hammer LOLOLOL, but nothing really useful.

Ummm WTF is this? I found it in my great grandfather's attic. He's been dead since before I was born, he fought in WWI, never talked about the war, let alone this thing. My parents dont give a *beep* about it and so it's mine now

I thought it was a chemical shell because of the weird fuse, some internet people said it was a lighter, which sounds like BS because this thing is like too big make a good trench art lighter and weighs like 3lbs. Who would carry around a goddamn lighter like that?

It is about 33mm AKA 1.3" diameter on the back

It says "Guerre 1914 - 1918" on the side, which is French for "war" and the years are the years WWI was fought (durrrr)

Inside when you unscrew the top is a wire and some string. IDK what that is about

IMG_3395.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

Here is a better size reference

IMG_3427.jpg

someone help me find out what this is worth so I can sell it for cheap liquor

Definitely some sort of shell I think with the stampings for a commemorative purpose. I want to say the protrusions are some kind of impact detonator, but I think thats a bit far fetched.

Hmm... I'll give an educated guess. (I'm no ww1 pro, but was intrigued)

On ebay this appeared:

Frence rifle grenade

Now of coarse it's no rifle grenade, but The fuse is strikingly similar telling us that I may be an explosive shell (since rifle grenades explode lol) So it could be an HE shell. (Chemical unlikely since they have there own unique fuse.)

When i first say the tip it reminded me of a more modern version of the fuse. The MOAB another high explosive! Which has hole in its tip were rod like fuses are put.

MOAB

Okay now onto what gun it was fired with.

We know that the casing is usually larger than the shell itself so I looked for any french artillery that had a 33mm or slightly higher and found this:

France 37mm gun

Date seem to match and its the only gun I could find that fits the shell.

Hope this helps

yeah it looks like a shell that has been turned into a lighter..

try unscrewing the bottom, use pliers maybe, and fill it with zippo fluid or something, if you like...

and i'd keep it, it seems like a nice, if a bit quirky, memory of your grandfather

Hey thanks for the help guys, I was only kidding about selling it. My roommates think it looks cool on the shelf so it's going to stay there unless on the off chance it is worth a lot, in which case I'll keep it somewhere safer.

I see what you mean about it possibly being a desk lighter, Doc. It wouldn't be too far-fetched because this thing has a great center of gravity, so I could see it as an upright lighter on a desk. It would explain the commemorative markings. If it is a lighter, then it is missing its flint wheel which kinda sucks.

Tom, the shell uncrews only here into two pieces, where I have the red line:

untitled1dv0.jpg

There is no way in hell it is coming off. I'm pretty sure a machine put it on there, because there is hardly a line. Pretty damn good tool work for something that is meant to blow up, but I guess artillery is an exact science.

I'm pretty sure the two brass bands on the bottom are to ensure pressurization in whatever shoots it, assuming it's a shell.

So, I got smart and measured the diameter of the brass rings, rather than the back, which was dumb. The shell is 1.5" around, exactly. My calipers say 38mm on the dot, NOT 37.

I think I'm going to take it to a couple appraisers here in NYC if I can find any

Many thanks for the help guys!

yeah it looks like a shell that has been turned into a lighter..

try unscrewing the bottom, use pliers maybe, and fill it with zippo fluid or something, if you like...

and i'd keep it, it seems like a nice, if a bit quirky, memory of your grandfather

tick tick tick tick tick BOOM!

Archived