Interesting ebay store

Stealthbomber

It's worth noting that these lasers are almost always class 3a or even class 3b, and when tested often exceed the power levels permitted under that classification.

Class 1 lasers are very low power, or housed in such a way that exposing the eye to the beam is almost impossible. Harmless.

Class 2 lasers are under 1mW, operating at a power level where if the exposure time is less than 0.25 seconds (the average blink reflex when the eye is exposed to bright lights) the chances of doing temporary or permanent damage is pretty much nilo (though you still shouldn't stare at the beam). Mostly harmless.

With class 3 and b lasers, the power levels could be such that exposure to the eye does temporary - or possibly permanent - damage to the retina depending upon levels of exposure, and possibly within fractions of a second. The 3b lasers should be considered particularly dangerous, and both can be harmful when shone at the eyes (how dangerous? Well, used by trained personel wearing goggles, for a starter).

And of course this being the wonderful world of different international standards, many devices which meet the US "Class IIIA" designation would actually be EU Class 3b devices!

In the UK there is legislation regarding the sale of laser pointers - class 1 and 2 only.

The Health & Safety Executive have this to say:

"In the case of Class 3A and the new Class 1M and 2M laser pointers, it is also necessary to ensure that viewing aids, such as magnifying glasses and binoculars, are never used by persons who may be exposed to the laser pointer beam." Whilst they go on to point out that this isn't much of a risk during a standard presentation, the same cannot be said of airsoft equipment, where your target may well have a magnifying scope.

After doing some careful reading on the subject earlier this year I binned my Hong Kong sourced laser pointer just in case (there was no way to tell if it was a safe class 2, or something more powerful).

Of course, because power looks good in a sales blurb, virtually all the laser pointer thingies sold on Ebay are at least class 3a or above. And frankly I'll not thank you if you shine one into my eyes. Why not use a 100% guaranteed safe red dot scope?

Consider they are located in Hong Kong. The other side of the world.

And if I buy another small item, they want another £11 for that item. Buy four small, light items and pay almost $100 US in shipping? No way. eHobby don't charge shipping like this, they let you buy items together to *save* on shipping. Last batch I got from them was a Guarder LTH, a Glock mag, a laser and something else and the shipping came to £15 total from Hong Kong.

1) Most of those shops put part of the price in the shipping costs so you go: "Wow, 12 pounds for an M3 scope!".

2) Does everyone here get combined shipping from ehobby? They tell me they only offer combined shipping to the US....

You have to e-mail them and ask for combined shipping, then when you get your check out e-mail, reply to them and ask for an updated one. Generaly what they do is charg you whatever the highest shipping charge is plus $1 per extra item.

You have to e-mail them and ask for combined shipping, then when you get your check out e-mail, reply to them and ask for an updated one. Generaly what they do is charg you whatever the highest shipping charge is plus $1 per extra item.

Well shoot. I've been giving them a hell of a lot of tips then. :mellow:

Archived