uk sf

jonarthur

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That statement is overused and has lost its meaning.

Could I wear a cowboy outfit and use 2 Colt SAA's and call it a SF loadout?

If you want to do an accurate impression of any sort, you should base it around some kind of reference picture - and not just slap on whatever you can find in your wardrobe and call it a SF loadout because "SF can use whatever they want".

Way to be an arrogant jerk about it.

You know what I meant. Within reason. However, I see people posting things that if you don't have then you aren't doing a proper impression. Which is stupid. Someone uses a molded style holster, and you tell him thats wrong and he needs some leather holster? Thats incorrect, if he wants to use a molded holster he can. There are only certain things that you should wear to do a proper impression, but most of it really doesn't matter.

Whatever, I am not gonna argue. Its pointless.

If you posted something relevant to the thread rather than a generic statement then maybe I wouldn't of been a "jerk" :rolleyes: .

I do see the point you are making but it doesnt really work as it just spirals out of control.

For example you dont like x piece of gear so you get something else, then you don't want to get x holster because you prefer y holster etc etc and by the end of it you have something completely different to what you were aiming for.

I think the key to airsoft impressions is to be iconic.

If you do what is *realsitic* its very easy to get into arguments.

For example if i went to a skirmish site in dpm combat trousers and shirt , with a mk6 helmet and sa80 but wore a polish assault vest and civvy walking boots, occasionally using an Ak for the odd game i'd probably be told my British Impression was wrong and i should get some PLCE or an ops vest.

However what I just described as kit is *exactly* what my friend Jason (Capt. Jack on phoenix and asc-uk forums) wore for his second tour of bosnia.

He wasnt 'special forces' he was Queens Dragoon Guards doing foot patrols.

In reality on operations soliders have a lot of free reign over their kit as long as they dont get caught with it around baracks on on inspections or try and use it in the UK.

Similarly when i was in the Staffordshire Regiment my OC Mjr. Purlsow (ex 22SAS) said 'I dont give a stuff what it is, if its green and it works and you dont look a tw*t you can use it'

There you go, not specualtion, fact.

And thats not even SF thats the freedom line inf units have, so imagine how much free-er that is for lads in faster units.

Whats dictates what you can use is availability, if an SF unit get posted somewhere very fast its highly liekly they will use local or regualr army kit as thast what will be in stores and avaialable to them.

Myself when i do a brit loadout i do the sort of kit that is more or less all issue kit with some common customisation just to make it look *obviously* brit inf.

It's the same for my WWII loadouts, photo evidence shows 6th uk airborne wearing german padded splinter parkas and using mp40s but it just looks confusing if everybody did that... i stick to the denison.

People on this forum need to start remembering the thing about an SF kit is that.

SF wear whatever works. I mean there is a lot of *beep* they have in common, but thats because the thing works really good.

I hate it when people say this. Just shows they have no idea what they're on about.

They can wear some tat that normally you would not expect, however, people that usually say this then wear completely the wrong stuff, and generally look like dorks.

It is best to aim for a "loadout" from a particular photo, rather than simply saying "zomg the sas kan war tutuz".

Misfit you are a generally grouchy man.

Anyways, Gadge. What I am just saying is when Tangman was saying "For example you dont like x piece of gear so you get something else, then you don't want to get x holster because you prefer y holster etc etc and by the end of it you have something completely different to what you were aiming for."

You may end up with something totally different, but you still ended up with all things you picked, and all things you are comfortable with. So how is that a bad thing.

I understand what you guys are saying, but you can still accomplish looking like a certain branch of SF and wearing things you are more comfortable with. It just takes more thought.

With SF stuff you have to think about whats on issue, whats around that they may have heard of and picked up, what works, what doesn't etc etc. As well as all that you have the issue of resupply as well.

Its not totally beyond the realms of belief that a UKSF lad would be wearing UK issue desert DPM, with an Eagle industries CIRAS that he bought from the American equivalent of the PRI/NAAFI shop, with a claymore bag and a pair of say Oakley, meindl or converse desert boots he picked up on ebay.

As for weapons, then it could be anything from diemacos, or HK53s through to SA80s and Gimpys, as they're UK issue weapons. I've heard the rumours (may be fact for all i know) about the SF blokes having refurbished Aks and the like, to deal with the problem of ammo supply, but its unlikely that they'll be toting a FAMAS, a SAA or a 98k mauser :P

Then theres the question of personal preference. The 6004 is in my opinion, probably the best holster out there. But if you've been using a viper drop leg with no problems on ops for the past 6 months, you'll probably keep using it.

Another thing is body armour. You tend not to see brit SF types wearing body armour in all but the most recent pictures. But hell, if i was out there i'd want every inch of kevlar i could get... so its not out of place for a MICH or a vest to be worn in a loadout, as Darkchild has pointed out several times. These people aren't generic, they use what works for them, but within a set of parameters.

basically there are a few guys that have posted on here that know what is used/worn but for the most part have been ignored in favour of the trendy "must have this piece of gucci kit" airsofters.

Best bet is stick to very basic for any brit SF loadout as that is exactly what they do !

As said ACU was given by the US for use in Afghan by the regiment but generally only the trousers were kept as the shirts were generally binned in favour of a windproof smock (DPM)

. I've heard the rumours (may be fact for all i know) about the SF blokes having refurbished Aks and the like, to deal with the problem of ammo supply,

Some of the tattiest looking AKs have been seen in Squadron armouries but they are unbelievably immaculate inside !

They are quite comprehensively stripped and rebuilt but kept look nasty on the outside

I have a friend who was in bos with 23 SAS who used an AK.

A lot of kit depends on the role.

If your role is to sit in an OP and remain unobserved for a very long time then exfil to your RV you are not going to be wearing body armour or a helmet. Its just pointless weight.

As i've said coutless times, the main job of body armour is to stop shell fragments and sub vleocity fragments *not* bullets - and to hold you in one piece whena bullet does tear you up.

If you're not expecting to be facing artillary or mortars (i.e. a recce patrol) you wont take it.

If you're trying to look like normal lads on patrol you'll wear all issue kit. You may even be dressed as the local troops in local kit to really blend in (notice a lot of sas lads in GW1 in complete arab dress a scene which mirrors 60 years earlier when both SAS and brandenburger commandoes wore local kit both to blend in and to cope with the rigours of the environment)

(notice a lot of sas lads in GW1 in complete arab dress a scene which mirrors 60 years earlier when both SAS and brandenburger commandoes wore local kit both to blend in and to cope with the rigours of the environment)

Mainly because the issue desert kit was completely inadaquate at the time but also to better mix with the local population ;)

Good point Gadge on the body armour but as I said ,sometimes these guys think every impression must have the latest plate carrier and molle pouches everywhere when in actual fact a basic AK chest rig or PLCE/Allen belt kit is often the chosen form of load bearing equipment (that that just isn't gucci enough :P )

Personally I think for a 5.56mm loadout the Issue ops vest is hard to beat in most ways and is still very popular in most theatres of operation with SF lads

Hi first post so..forgive me for butting in, but it has been pointed out to me on other forums by guys who wouuld know that these photos are of the SFSG, prior to it's official formation

sasconv02.jpg

1 Para

basra1.jpg

RAF regiment CSAR team during the helo shoot down in Basra

uksffrontusspecopsrear.jpg

possible a RM strike company member or 1 Para working with Navy SEAL's

I have no reason to doubt the guys who said this, they are confirmed ex military (Army and RM)

• 8 months later...

Its gear discussion its meant to be kept going...

or so i thought...so whats the issue exactly?

Yes he revived it, but its like the Seals, MFR, Marine, Army, Ranger, and Buindswher(spelling?) threads, they are threads that are important to those obssesed with gear.

Because he didn't bring anything new to the discussion, no photos or information.

Also, there's about 5 other threads about UKSF on the first page of this forum, with much more modern information and photos. This thread isn't like the Navy Seal one, because there's already a thread on the first page of this forum about UKSF with much more up to date photos and information, there was no need to revive the thread. :|

• 4 weeks later...

this thread has been raised from the grave, WWOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Yeah i asked my SF liason about kit when i ran into him the other day. UKSF has recently bought a huge contract with Paraclete and they are now the sole brand that is worn in terms of LBE.

Dont take that as gospel but it is straight from the horses mouth so im guessing its pretty accurate.

Darkchild

• 2 weeks later...

Archived