BB Grenades?

chopook

I had an idea for a BB grenade.

You'd have a pile of BBs built into a container in the top half.

You'd have an electric motor attached to a sort of miniature "fan blade" in the bottom half.

When activated the motor would spin up and the BBs would drop onto the fan blade and be flung far and wide.

I'm thinking that the whole thing could be made about the size and shape of a flashbang, maybe a bit bigger.

1. Place hand in bag of BBs

2. Close hand around a amount of BBs

3. Remove Hand from bag

4. Use a throwing motion while opening your hand

5. Rinse and repeat

Is this acceptable in a skirmish? I've never seen it done, but surely it's cheating? Say the enemy are behind a wall, and you can't get in a position to fire at them, surely you can't just lob a handful of BB's over the wall?

Is this acceptable in a skirmish? I've never seen it done, but surely it's cheating? Say the enemy are behind a wall, and you can't get in a position to fire at them, surely you can't just lob a handful of BB's over the wall?

i was told this didnt work. but i still yet to try it and see what happens :assassin:

Thanks

Jas

Gee whiz, the pyrotechnics you're allowed in the UK is staggering considering all of your other restrictive laws! Here in Canada we're not even allowed firecrackers, let alone a device that will intentionally expel projectiles at you. Plenty of other awesome fireworks but nothing suitable for quasi-offensive purposes, and certainly nothing that explodes that you can throw (mortar launched reports only).

Seen it done before now, site owners jammed and he started throwing hand fulls of BBs

I threw individual ones last time ;)

I ran out of ammo, I'd given my last few to my mate (damnit!), so I picked up ones from the floor and lobbed them while yelling madly. Was fun, but didn't work ;)

My idea for a grenade would only shoot maybe 20 or 30 of them, if that. It would basicly be a canister, split in two. It would have a spring in the middle, very strong spring. In the middle would have some sort of cloth material, of appropriate length to be taught when the canister was opened. It would be a square shape, and to get the BBs in would be a tad difficult. Haven't worked that part out. Maybe pour them in from the top. Anyways, once you get the BBs in, (or maybe this part owuld be before the bbs..) you would lock the two halves together. To lock them, you would push down and twist it. Then for the timer, it would be an egg timer. As the time went down, the grenade would twist and unlock itself. Unlocking at a fast enough pace would bring the cloth to a very nice taught. If you go take a peice of cloth and put a bunch of BBs on it, put a little slag on it so they sink down, and pull in opposite directions as fast as you can then you can replicate this effect.

The overall look would be like a modern smoke grenade, with handle and pin. Pull pin, release handle, timer starts going. I think it could be adjustable in time, but not in the field (unless...that's possible with real grenades?).

I think it could work, but would require some good engineering and quality parts. Would probably be pretty heavy and couldn't be thrown directly at anyone too hard. Have it painted bright red, or some other color, in order to find it.

As far as the motor and 'fan blade' idea goes - forget the electric motor and just use a tightly wound spring.

You could also have multiple 'blades' stacked on the shaft that could propel the bbs.

I don't know if you can get the overall velocity from a device like this though.

• 3 months later...

I made a gas test piece, and it worked well. Problem being that it will be difficult to make, and therefore expensive. This one uses a bunch of "barrels" in an array. Think of a WW2 pineapple grenade or mills bomb, and each raised section contains a barrel, each barrel holds between 3 and 5 bbs, held in by a rubber stop- like a hopup rubber. Inside is the gas reservoir and slip pin activator. I used the idea from a type 82 Gammon bomb (real weapon) for the creep spring.

I made a partial section (only 5 barrels), and it worked fairly well. Just took me about a day to get it right, so I will have to come back to this idea at a later time.

I also tried something very close to what Tripod suggested. It used a pair of springs on a cross-shaped hinge. What would happen is the pin would be pulled, once it hit something with any force, the inner "cross" would pop the outer casing. It would hold about 2-300 bbs, and threw them fairly far.

Its structure failed on the 4th test, mostly as I made it in about 3 hours, and I don't think the epoxy had made it to full strength yet. This will be attempted again, sometime in August, as I am very busy at the moment. Oh- and it was a bit bigger than a flashbang, more close to the size of a smoke grenade. It can be made about any size, as the idea is very simple, really. It just happened to be the size of stuff I had lying around.

I AM going to make this work, as I enjoy the milsim part of airsoft. Real-cap magazines, real tactical movement, and all that- and to it right, you gotta have grenades! Life without BOOM ani't worth livin'... ;)

Robert

Archived