'Real Steel' G36's

jamesandhistool

Well, I have, but I don't see how that is relevant. Instead of using that as an argument, I would rather refer to the videos that clearly show the cocking handle move when the weapon is fired. It doesn't take a person who's fired and handled the real ones to make that observation.

-Sale

Well, I have, but I don't see how that is relevant. Instead of using that as an argument, I would rather refer to the videos that clearly show the cocking handle move when the weapon is fired. It doesn't take a person who's fired and handled the real ones to make that observation.

-Sale

Lol, I'm sure only the first response was from someone who didn't really know. Even if you've handled it, doesn't mean you'd necessarily know if the bolt moved when fired now does it! :P

Maybe the cocking handle being connected to the bolt carrier would make it clearer initially as to what kind of malfunction you're dealing with? Like a simple ejection port jam, or an internal jam by looking at the position of the bolt carrier without inspecting the ejection port itself...? I'm theorising out on a limb here! :unsure:

Don't be retarded, if you have seen a video with it moving and can provide said video, why shouldn't you post?

Read my post properly, it states an 'answer' as in to simply make a yes/no statement, with evidence then yes of course you can then answer.

And HellsAngel yes I know, I said handled and fired on purpose knowing that you would actually have to fire it in order to see it moving.

I stand corrected. I have to admit that I just assumed it didn't becuase of the way that it's configured - and becuase all other HK weapons that I'm familiar with don't. Just goes to show that it pays to double check your facts before typing. ;)

I shall proceed to drop and knock out 20 for being so presumptuous....

And HellsAngel yes I know, I said handled and fired on purpose knowing that you would actually have to fire it in order to see it moving.

I was only teasing :) People are getting a bit snappy though!

Its true that no other HK rifles or smg's seem to have a moving cocking handle, so I can see where you'd be confused.

I personally think its a very nice feature, the bolt being held open and releasing with a smooth movement of the cocking handle.

It removes the need for a forward-assist.

And why/how would you use one for clearing malfunctions?

Actually I'll answer that one: You don't. If the cartridge doesn't feed all the way, the last thing you want to do is force it any deeper into the chamber.

-If the weapon goes "Click" when it should go "Bang", you simply rack the charging handle once and continue. (If the weapon has a bolt hold open device.)

-If the weapon still goes "Click", change the magazine, rack the charging handle and continue.

-If it's a more serious malfunction, like an FTE or double-feed, you remove the magazine, rack the charging handle twice, attach another magazine, rack once and continue.

If you start looking whether the charging handle is 1-2 cm back from where it should be, you're just wasting time. If you do any visual checks, it would be the ejection port (or magwell), pretty much regardless of weapon type.

-Sale

At a wild guess I'm thinking the assumption is that a cocking handle fixed to the bolt can aid with stuff like hard extractions due to being a bit beefier?

No idea if that's actually what Darklite's thinking though.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry, head cold atm, thinking process much impaired.

The L85A2 has the cocking handle attached to the bolt carrier, and you do indeed use it to clear malfunctions, in fact when you have a misfire and the cocking handle *appears* forward, the first thing you do it tap it to make sure it's all the way forward, if that doesn't work then there are other actions that I can't be bothered to detail, but the immediate action in the situation above is to tap the cocking handle, which wouldn't work if it didn't reciprocate with the bolt carrier.

Standard British Forces weapon handling, something that after three and a half years in the RAF, I'm somewhat familiar with.

Archived