2 Tone AEG's info

kjm55

I've not been able to locate the information where it states in the VCRA, or even the amendments, that a brightly coloured RIF with the bright colour being more than 51% as being acceptable. Is the 51% to 49% a legal fact or is it something that has been assumed by airsoft retailers and wholesalers as being OK?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Section 38 of the act states:

(3) In determining for the purposes of this section whether an imitation firearm is

distinguishable from a real firearm—

(a) the matters that must be taken into account include any differences

between the size, shape and principal colour of the imitation firearm

and the size, shape and colour in which the real firearm is

manufactured; and

(B) the imitation is to be regarded as distinguishable if its size, shape or

principal colour is unrealistic for a real firearm.

What he said. A RIF that has one of the colours defined in the Act as it's primary colour isn't a RIF at all - it's just an imitation firearm rather than a realistic imitation firearm, so the sections of the act that apply to RIFs no longer apply.

Section 38 of the act states:

(3) In determining for the purposes of this section whether an imitation firearm is

distinguishable from a real firearm—

(a) the matters that must be taken into account include any differences

between the size, shape and principal colour of the imitation firearm

and the size, shape and colour in which the real firearm is

manufactured; and

(B) the imitation is to be regarded as distinguishable if its size, shape or

principal colour is unrealistic for a real firearm.

Ah gotcha! I'd read that many times over but it didn't click as I was actually looking for the words "51%" and all that. Many thanks for clearing that up.

Maybe this has been said before, but can one (ie someone not registered as a skirmisher) buy an M41A pulse rifle from zero one? Under that section thing about size shape?

Sorry about that had a brain fart, and yes purple and red was soooo 1973 my mistake.

no because for size to be relevant in establishing an IF it must not exceed something in the region of 7 cms long by 4 cms tall Even then a 1:1 scale model of a tiny real gun that was under 7cm long and 4 cms tall would still be a RIF as would a bright pink replica of what was a real bright pink gun (assuming such a gun existed).

Pulse rifle is roughly firearmed shaped is larger than the maximum IF dimensions and is not in an approved IF color therefore its a RIF. ..Well unless someone made a semi auto or single shot airgun power level version for collectors in which case it would require face to face sale to an over 18 but otherwise be unrestricted (phew!!)

post-13585-1195062409_thumb.jpg

post-13585-1195062383_thumb.jpg

post-13585-1195062363_thumb.jpg

post-13585-1195062330_thumb.jpg

Excuse the Rap4 pictures but using these as a visual guide, then I can't really see them 2 tone jobbies being that bad. Imagine that the stock is also coloured and you're on the way to seeing what they'll be like.

One thing I am unsure of though, if the magazines are coloured to make them 51%/49% and you take the coloured magazine off, won't that mean you're then in possession of a RIF as the overall colour is now more towrds a real colour?

I imagine they'll probably have the forward handguards, rear stocks and pistol grips coloured (hopefully).

Excuse the Rap4 pictures but using these as a visual guide, then I can't really see them 2 tone jobbies being that bad. Imagine that the stock is also coloured and you're on the way to seeing what they'll be like.

One thing I am unsure of though, if the magazines are coloured to make them 51%/49% and you take the coloured magazine off, won't that mean you're then in possession of a RIF as the overall colour is now more towrds a real colour?

I imagine they'll probably have the forward handguards, rear stocks and pistol grips coloured (hopefully).

PROB IS it says the bright colors got to be the primary color

Ah gotcha! I'd read that many times over but it didn't click as I was actually looking for the words "51%" and all that. Many thanks for clearing that up.

Thing is, principal is subjective, it doesn't necessarily mean 51%, as with most of the act, the actual decision on legal or not lays in the hands of the jury of any case where it's brought up.

Great isn't it?

agreed principal could well mean the main receiver of the gun as a minimum given its the principal part, however primarily tends to imply more of a percentage (not sure if 51 percent would be sufficiently over half though for someone looking at it from average distance)

Problem is, without measuring there's no way to be sure that 50.0000000000000001% has been painted a bright colour :D

Saw some of the 2 tones today, and they look good.

Remember, their purpose is to enable the sport to continue to survive by keeping UK retailers who've been active enough to find ways to continue their business post VCRA.

Think about it, if retailers go under, then there's fewer sources for our gear, fewer people are able to get into the sport, and it will die.

Xmas is coming up, parents can buy 2 tone for their kids (some parents who are against guns might be ok with coloured guns too) which gets in a load more new players.

Also, a new player who's strapped for cash can buy a two tone to play straight away rather than spend money renting.

The oppertunities 2 tones give are amazing, only restricted by your imagination

Id have thought if it required measuring to prove it then it couldnt really be classed as 'primarily' when its folks impression of it as an object that count. Then again I suppose we'd need to start using substantialy and majority and then the semantics would go on forever. hell it would be like watching paint dry :P

Why they cant just paint the whole bloody thing pink is beyond me lol If they seriously genuinely believe folks without a defence arent going to run out and buy a tin o spray paint to turn it back to the colours god (or at very least Colt and Kalashnikov) intended they've got a screw loose :D

Problem is, without measuring there's no way to be sure that 50.0000000000000001% has been painted a bright colour :D

Saw some of the 2 tones today, and they look good.

Remember, their purpose is to enable the sport to continue to survive by keeping UK retailers who've been active enough to find ways to continue their business post VCRA.

Think about it, if retailers go under, then there's fewer sources for our gear, fewer people are able to get into the sport, and it will die.

Xmas is coming up, parents can buy 2 tone for their kids (some parents who are against guns might be ok with coloured guns too) which gets in a load more new players.

Also, a new player who's strapped for cash can buy a two tone to play straight away rather than spend money renting.

No pics? Not even camera phone jobbies?

The suspense is killing me. Can you give us a sort of commentary as to which parts are coloured ect?

oh I know they have their uses for under 18s and new players. Just as far as I can see for all concerned a completely pink gun is just as good as a two tone with none of the debate about percentages etc required - if they intend to skirmish with it they can legally buy and paint it any colour they please, and if they dont itend to skirmish with it? Chances are a good few will paint them anyway (in which case you might as well give those buggers the hassle of illegally painting a whole gun as 50.00001% of one lol), and for the rest why encourage them as non skirmishers to purchase by making the IF colour requirments less unatractive..

Archived