Misc Custom Machined Parts

dobey

Errr....

You do realise I'm in the UK, don't you? ;)

EDIT; Funnily enough though, We (my family and I) were going to come to Hawaii in July to stay with relatives from Hong Kong, who'll be holidaying there for a month or so.

Unfortunately I couldn't get leave for the dates needed <_< .

I was looking forward to seeing something of the Hawaii Airsoft scene...

You still seem to be my only option :P Dee's custom barrel doesn't respond to my e-mails. dobey still didn't get back to me with a PM, PowerEdge dumped their lathe a long time ago. ePowersports charges $100 for a tiny silencer adapter for the 8mm detonics (imagine what they'll charge for a barrel job!), and any other lead has led me to a dead end!

If you're willing to do the job, I'm willing to ship and pay :P

Sad you couldn't have made it out there though. It would've been interesting if I could meet up with the rather infamous Doc.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You still seem to be my only option :P Dee's custom barrel doesn't respond to my e-mails. dobey still didn't get back to me with a PM, PowerEdge dumped their lathe a long time ago. ePowersports charges $100 for a tiny silencer adapter for the 8mm detonics (imagine what they'll charge for a barrel job!), and any other lead has led me to a dead end!

If you're willing to do the job, I'm willing to ship and pay :P

Sad you couldn't have made it out there though. It would've been interesting if I could meet up with the rather infamous Doc.

Infamous? Me? :unsure:

We're going to try getting out there next year, depending on whether I'm still in the Airline industry, we could never hope to afford it if I weren't.

PM me with details of exactly what you want doing.

very nice little things you're doing doc!
Thanks Zen' :blush:

I can't wait to get a little milling machine in my workshop, I've just spent 3 days tidying it up and chucking out loads of junk, I'm a bit of a hoarder and hate throwing anything out. :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that the word your looking for is "famous". Doc would only be infamous for his work if it was of very poor quality and/or involved sucking out the living souls of kittens and children to power the lathe.

Which would be cool, and help to lower the "carbon footprint" of airsoft parts.

:D

A soul powered lathe? Right on man B)

in·fa·mous

1.having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city. 2.deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable: an infamous deed.

Whenever I hear/see the word 'infamous', it makes me think of that scene in 'The Three Amigos' when Martin Short (Ned Nederlander) is trying to explain what it means, to Chevy Chase (Dusty Bottoms) :D

same here. like hardcore. or badass. :P

back OT:

IIRC, it was you, doc, who did that cylinder head for adjusting AOE?

(apologies, my subconscious seems to want to go its own way lately :P so some questions are popping up late)

what material is that made of? some exotic plastic? aluminum? something else?

did you reuse the old buffer material? something else?

I made a spacer for the cylinder, yes. It sits against the cyl-head.

Cyl spacer

No buffer used, although it sits up against the original on the cyl-head so the original buffer should theoretically still do some good.

It didn't seem any louder, which I thought it might.

I also made an extended piston head for an L85 16 tooth piston conversion, the same thing could be done for AoE adjustment.

he he . . . for some reason i couldn't find the original post :( tx!

so, did you do this on the lathe? what material? or fashioned it out of a discarded cylinder head? thinking of doing something similar for a current project ;) and yes, the intent is for AOE adjustment. though that one you made seems a bit thicker than usual?

I used Black Delrin, it's similar to Nylon but a bit tougher, with a lower friction coefficient and it's nicer to machine.

I turned it on my lathe, just using a parting tool, and slotted the O/D for an o-ring.

I've found the usual AoE adjustment needs approx 4mm, give or take a little.

• 3 weeks later...
4mm and you managed to put an o-ring slot in :o tx, doc!

I've been asked to do a 3mm one now!

Think I may need to make a thinner parting tool :P

Another little piece I made today;

249Knob1.jpg

M249 upper stock pin knob.

I've machined a groove on the inner face and glued an o-ring in it, so it holds against the body and doesn't work loose.

The original (which fell off mid-game <_< ) had a grub screw to lock it to the pin, which needs a tiny allen key to do/undo, which kind of defeats the object of having a hand releaseable fastener :rolleyes:

I could use a replacement for the magazine release catch on my MP7, which I just noticed is broken and I'm very annoyed. Would that be possible?

I'm not sure, I'll take a look at mine later.

quite a small part, IIRC, but not impossible for the doc, methinks. ;)

is that delrin too, doc? or aluminum?

a bit OT: i imagine this would look much sharper . . .

painted_Post.jpg

. . . if i had the equipment <_<

:blush:

It's alloy, painted.

Er...What is that Zen'?

I am looking for a little help in converting my VFC AIMS into and AIMS-74.

And what I'm kinda stumped on, in particular is the muzzle-break.

Here's my first attempt... (Yes, I realize the AKM mags kinda ruin the whole 5.45 x39mm look)...

AIMS-74.jpg

But it's not really even close. (Big thanks to Tantal for this pictures and data!)

Rom74025.jpg

Technically I can put a real Romanian AIMS-74 front sight on it... but the threading for the Romanian compensator is 22mm (+ I believe), not 24mm like the AK74 threading is. It's also a bit longer than a standard AK74 style muzzle break.

More pics and information is available here:

http://avtomats-in-action.com/pro19.html

Because a muzzle-break can be sometimes "classified" by some as a "flash hider" it makes the chances of importing the exact item quite difficult and rare.

Which is why the front sight is semi-easy to find. No one has a 22mm threaded muzzle break for it. They're all 24mm (standard AK74).

I was just wondering if this was a custom machining project, someone might be interested in duplicating...

I am dying to see this rifle turned into an AIMS-74, but until I can find all of the necessary parts she'll have to reside as a standard AIMS. :unsure:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Lil...VFC_AIMS_v2.jpg

Thanks for reading. :)

--Xopek

Because a muzzle-break can be sometimes "classified" by some as a "flash hider" it makes the chances of importing the exact item quite difficult and rare.

how does that work? its impossible to even compare a muzzle break to a flash hiders as muzzle breaks INCREASE flash and noise in order to reduce muzzle climb. in fact, the AK74 muzzle break is known for being particularly blasty.

Archived