Zoxna Airsoft: GM-1 Mine

uscmCorps

From Airsoft-News.eu

Guys from Zoxna Airsoft (site is Spanish only) sent in news about their product. Their design ensures 360 degree coverage, and it is made of aluminum, so there is no doubt that it is durable. For in-game demonstration, click here and here. Technical properties:

- Duraluminium construction

- BB capacity: 216 BBs

- 360 degrees coverage, BBs cover approximately 6 meters in radius

- rechargeable with green gas or similar

- patended

- price 125 EUR.

zoxnamine1312dk0.jpg

Looks pretty robust. Wouldn't want one of those thrown at me, but as a booby trap device (check out the videos), it's pretty cool!

I agree. There is quite a delay before it 'explodes' in the first video. I guess that would be good for a grenade property, but as a mine, it kinda sucks.

Agreed. There is clearly something internally taking place that intentionally delays the detonation. If that can be adjusted, even if with something as simple as an allen/hex key, then that would make this a strong contender. For a mine, you basically want 0 seconds of delay because you don't want the target to have time to react. Moreover, if someone was running and tripped this mine, the likelihood that it will detonate and hit him with that delay would be utter fail.

With all that being said, I'd find it really hard to believe you couldn't adjust the delay. Also makes me long for the Airsoft Innovations hand grenade to come out sooner.

I don't wanta come off as a hater, because it's great to see people designing stuff... But, the delay is too long so it fails as a mine, and it looks like it could bean someone if tossed as a hand gernade.

Also, it's 360 only if it's standing up straight.

as a hand grenade = fail

Well don't forget that they never referred to is as a "hand grenade". It's clearly labelled as a "Mine". If they can give the user control over the detonation timing, (i.e. dial it to zero seconds), then they have a decent, albeit expensive, product. But considering they are calling it a "mine", having any delay beyond 1 or 2 seconds is a bit unusable.

Using a stop watch I timed the length of detonation time.

First video:

Detonation #1 = 3 seconds

Detonation #2 = 4 seconds

Second video:

Detonation #1 = 17 seconds

Also came across some more videos of this mine:

* Pull pin + valve release demo

* 360 degree spread demo (11 second detonation time)

* Strength Test

* Grenade toss demo (5 second detonation time... but hard to say as we never saw the pin pulled)

TBH, I'm now highly skeptical as to whether or not this thing has an adjustable detonation timer control of any sort. From looking at the video that shows the pull pin + valve release, this is what appears that they have engineered:

1. The pin is used to hold the gas valve down.

2. The valve inherently wants to push out due to gas pressure within the grenade.

3. Perhaps a compression spring is within the grenade housing pushing against the valve as it tries to push out. As the force of the spring isn't as strong as the force of the gas pushing on the valve, the spring gives, but does so slowly causing a delay in detonation.

4. When the valve has pushed far enough out, gas escapes through holes pushing the BBs outwards.

This is essentially the same as a gas M203 grenade, except instead of using a trigger/hammer setup to push the valve open on the M203 'nade, instead they allow the inner force of the gas pressure to push the valve open.

If this is all true, then the time taken for pin removal to detonation would basically be determined by a compression spring of some sort (possibly an AEG one that's been cut down). So different springs would yield different detonation times. But as we all know, springs aren't always consistent in strength and can therefore lead to inconsistencies in explosive timing if used in this device.

On the bright side, if given all this is true, you could hypothetically remove the inner spring and your detonation would be instantaneous!

On the other hand... it's possible that there isn't any springs in there at all. Instead, perhaps the valve is being pushed out by the internal pressure and the cause for the delay is the result of friction the valve is encountering as it pushes out. That being the case, you could hypothetically put a strong spring in there to accelerate the valve pushing out, however the caveat to that, is that the valve may be pushed so hard against the pin before the pin has been pulled, that pulling the pin may prove difficult and any trip wire may be detected or get snapped prior to the pin can be pulled free.

Very interesting. All conjecture of course.

However, it does make me want to go buy a Gamma BB Claymore and some detonation remotes.

hmm, nice. looks good as a CQB room clearance grenade.

That is for sure!

The main "problem" I see about this thing is the construction that could cause injury if drop on someone´s head, it is a duraluminium block being thrown to a room or to the other side of a corner, better sending it rolling through the floor than flying, also you would avoid scratches using this metod.

The good things are:

1 That realy it has 360º coverage much more possible than any other devide previously seen for airsoft.

2 It is heavy duty metal.

3 Will not break landing like others with plastic bits that I have seen.

4 Comes straight to be found in the battlefield easilly or painted at home in the colors you prefer.

I would prefer to have had any news about this "locally" before discovering them in the international forums to be able to talk about first hand impressions but maybe they decided the "local" airsofter would not spend so much money for a grenade and are focused in the international market :/ who knows

It looks great, shame about the time delay - I suspect they copied the Deep Fire pressure delay system here: That system works by releasing a tiny (adjustable) amount of gas into a small chamber, the pressure builds to a point where it just pops open the main valve. That's all good and fine but it's very prone to temperature/pressure differences making the delay unpredictable.

Madbull and Airsoft Innovations have gas grenades in the works, I think I'll hold off buying until I see what those are going to be like.

I am waiting on Airsoft Innovations grenades....Those look promising..... People should put like a foam on the outside like nerf/sponge balls so that they can be lobbed. Yes it would still hurt but not as much as taking it straight on. But year.... IT IS SHINY! but I feel there are better options for mines like those claymores.

Archived