On budget!

Lucchese

my m14 question is for this reason-

my local site restricts all guns to 350 fps. given this restriction obiously i cannot

upgrade a boltie to sniping power. i really want an L96 style rifle but ive been told

many times now that the accuracy difference will be neglegable and at

the given power level i will be better off with an AEG. Unless i can find some proof

that a bolt action rifle with upgrades within this power level is consistantly more accurate

than an AEG then im strting to sway towards thier recomendation.

also does anyone know how much FPS is affected with heavier ammo?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a rule of thumb, just assume that the power will always stay the same, so the heavier the ammo, the lower the fps. Anyone feel free to elaborate by going into bb acceleration times etc etc?

Taking this assumption and the fact that a .2g bb travelling at 100m/s (328fps) has 1J of energy/power/whatever, you *should* be able to work out what the fps would be using a heavier bb.

This all relies on you knowing what the rifle chronoes at with .2s though.

that system does not help determine practical range

its irrelevant now someone sourced me a good analasis of what i wanted

http://www.cybersloth.org/airsoft/trajectory/07-B-07.htm

it basicly says that the heavier round although slower leaving the muzzle

will retain more energy in flight and therefore travel further and

reach the target a little faster

I was answering this question:

also does anyone know how much FPS is affected with heavier ammo?

and this one:

Taking this assumption and the fact that a .2g bb travelling at 100m/s (328fps) has 1J of energy/power/whatever, you *should* be able to work out what the fps would be using a heavier bb.

Feel free to thank me for the link, in your own time :rolleyes:

To answer the OP, if the limit is 1.3J for all RIF's, you could do worse than an M14, depending on which brand you can get you might want new internals to upgrade the sock AEG. The SL8 Is supposed to be a nice AEG sniper as well but I dont have any first hand experiance with it, other than it is very pricey however you go about getting one.

no offence but your profile seems to show limited experience with bolt action rifles, they are a different animal to aeg's....

To your first point, How can you tell someones experiance on variouse bits of kit by what they currently own? I used to own an XBOX360, but just because i now only game on a PC doesnt mean I dont know the inns and outs of oblivion.

and the 2nd. The Spring BA Rifles fire a BB in he same way an AEG Fires a BB, it is the skills used to get you in a position to make the most of that delivery system that are different.

Explain Please?

Doesent A Spring/Piston force air to propell a bb?

thats what I thought too....

Here is my two bits.....

You can operate in a sniper roll with a AEG or a bolt action rifle, but I doubt you can do either on a budget. AEGs tuned for high velocities are expensive and usually don't last. I tried once with a G3 and the mechbox lasted one full day, about 3 standard mags and it cracked the front of it right off. I have a Tanaka M24 which wasn't exactly cheap either. I live in California so the mild weather doesn't hurt gas performance all that much. Either root you go being a sniper isn't cheap and my advice to you would be to save you cash up and increase your budget.

Not so, Taking prices from RSOV

An AGM M14 is £39.99

Element 300% Torque Upgrade £17.99

OK, it wont be as good as something you spend thousands on but it will be pretty nifty.

You will strugle taking an AEG up as high as you like due to the added wear and tear on the mechanical parts.

And as for a budget, If I had to get only one gun to cover all eventualities it woiuld have to be an AEG. You can cover most possabilities with a decent Long and back up pistol, Its a lot harder with a 500+ fps sniper rifle.

As I've said, you take an AEG that is native full auto or has the built capability to be full auto over the 1.35j mark, you are then in a dodgy legal area.

You will remain legally dodgy even if you mod it to semi only.

As airsofters in the UK, we should ALL be mindful of the law and how it may apply to us, bearing the recent pressures on our sport in mind.

As I've said, you take an AEG that is native full auto or has the built capability to be full auto over the 1.35j mark, you are then in a dodgy legal area.

You will remain legally dodgy even if you mod it to semi only.

As airsofters in the UK, we should ALL be mindful of the law and how it may apply to us, bearing the recent pressures on our sport in mind.

Agreed but the bloke who was originally asking is in portugal. Any more than 1.3J in the UK is asking for trouble. And even using a 1 ft/lb fixed semi/ BA is dodgy.

The only way to stay in the clear is stick to a TM MP5 for everything.

• 2 months later...

may i ask a realy dangerous question, how much better are sniper weopons than aeg's at closerr ranges, as most of you are saying that you engange within AEG range, at which range its almost guarunteed to get a kill with an aeg, even if he spots you, whereas with a rifle you only have 1 shot. dont get me wrong, im a devout sniper, its just on my last game i had a go with an aeg, and i used my scope for spotting and then used the more reliable automatic fire to take em out.

how effective are sniper weopons compared with AEG's?

i havent realy seen a sniper ever get more kills than i have on a rampage with an AEG, how can you actually manage it when you are fireing a single plastic ball through a very large expanse of air, when 200 are coming the other way.

you will probably hit me with the "dont get seen", but i dont see what difference is between a sniper in a ghilli suit and a AEG with binocliers and a ghilli suit, obviosly a sniper has great range, but anything above an AEG range and the target usually ignors the hit thinking it a single rebound!

please forgive my ignorance as im a bit of a newbie around here, i realy dont understand sniper tactics in airsoft (but i understand their significance in real world situations where you have a accuracy to a mile!)

Not so, Taking prices from RSOV

An AGM M14 is £39.99

Element 300% Torque Upgrade £17.99

OK, it wont be as good as something you spend thousands on but it will be pretty nifty.

Understatement of the century.

It will not be 'pretty nifty'.

Out of the box, it will either work, or it won't. And the percentage chance that it won't is worryingly high compared to a proper A.E.G.

You will then have to re-wire the thing, scoop out the absurd amount of grease, and re-shim it.

The finish will be ######. The quality will be ######. The accessories you'll get will be ######. And seeing as only a n00b would buy a cheapsoft with the intention of seriously upgrading it to a sniper performance level, 50% of it might even be in a shade of luminous green. And that, my friends, is ######.

And after a few hi-caps worth of BB's it will break anyway. Which is also ######.

The exception to this is the BAR-10, seemingly the only decently upgradeable cheapsoft out there, and even that is ###### when you can buy the real thing for not much more.

Ben.

It's not only the cheapsoft thing... I think also, the skills you need for 'sniping', or general marksmanship in airsoft you can only really attain through cold hard experience, which is one thing we all know 99% of n00bs lack.

Thus, that is why you don't see airsoft snipers holding cheapsoft A.E.G.s.

:D

Ben.

Archived