"You are the HERO!" Fighting Fantasy books...

rhino

Was just mooching around on the internet and decided to have a look at some of the things i had when i was younger. Found THIS and the complete list of them HERE

God, were they really from the 80's onwards? I remember playing Island of the Lizard King and Scorpion Swamp at school! Ye-Gads! Anyone else remember these? (I remember they used to sell them Ex-rental from the Library for 50p each...)

Gonna have to pop down there in the morning and try my luck... :D

Was just mooching around on the internet and decided to have a look at some of the things i had when i was younger. Found THIS and the complete list of them HERE

God, were they really from the 80's onwards? I remember playing Island of the Lizard King and Scorpion Swamp at school! Ye-Gads! Anyone else remember these? (I remember they used to sell them Ex-rental from the Library for 50p each...)

Gonna have to pop down there in the morning and try my luck... :D

god yes, I could never be bothered to do them so I just read them, hours of flicking back and forth. Good fun though.

Ihad em all as a kid then gave them all away as xmas presents to mates a year later.

I nostalgically bought about a dozen from charity shops about eight years ago.

The have recently re-issued them and i have a set of four (they changed the original order weirdly)

As an English teacher i foist them on to low attention span boys in library lessons, they tend to love them.

A as child i could never get out the maze in warlock of firetop mountain, i was convinced it had a typo in it!

*A* finger... i resorted to toes and other appendage s some times so i could back track after getting mutilated.

I played them as a kid by always being lucky or alway winning fights and not bothering with dice.

When i had a nostalgic re-try i did them properly and they were much more fun.

These books changed my life in a way...

I read these, got em all, tried to write my own, got given a copy of runequest by a freind of the family .. spent the next four years in mates houses or garages playing RPGS and paining figure instead of being bored and setting fire to bions or drinking cider.

Played RPGs at uni, did a stint in Hm forces (with a sometimes embarrassing 'Space Wolf' logo tattoo).. left forces and cos of my lifelong love of fantasy games and literature got a job as a comic, novel and magazine editor with GW!

At GW i got into airsoft with a load of the other guys in a big way as it was such a 'gaming' culture.

So it definatley set the ball rolling and had me working in a creative gmaing or writing industry most my life.

The Undemokratik Republik of Stoke on Trent. Where even the hubcap thieves get stolen.

Im not kidding on the packratting...I actually asked at the tip yesterday where I could get rid of 30 gallons of old cooking oil we have saved up...

Oh, I have a lot of the 'Make Your Own Adventure' books and some of the Knightmare ones too.

Like I said...never throw anything away...

My house - pic taken a couple of months ago...

Sinclair005.jpg

ZX81 not shown...

Oh, if anyone remembers the Troll Games...I got 2 of them somewhere. And 2 Dark Future box sets...

:punk:

Mines in a box in my living room right now!

Gotta be honest, Island of the Lizard King, Forest of Doom, Deathtrap Dungeon, House of Hell and Scorpion Swamp were up there as my favourites (i even remember the 4 part Sorcery series that's mentioned in the book listings. You could play them all as seperate books or as all 4 as one continuous story.

On another note, i remember (vaguely) there was another series similar to this where you played a Ninja. I remember one part in one of the stories where you had to fight this monster that was compiled from parts of many men and was called Everyman (Legion) and it kept following you everywhere.

Anyone remember these?

EDIT: Found 'em...

Way of the Tiger series That's another set i'm gonna have to keep an eye out for now...

Christ guys, this takes me back to primary school - i used to read these things when i was 8-9 years old!!!

Robot Commando was my first one.

Deathtrap Dungeon was probably my fave, but the creature on the front (Bloodbeast?) always gave me the creeps...

Christ guys, this takes me back to primary school - i used to read these things when i was 8-9 years old!!!

Robot Commando was my first one.

Deathtrap Dungeon was probably my fave, but the creature on the front (Bloodbeast?) always gave me the creeps...

Aye, that was the Bloodbeast. Fun to fight.

I've got a few of these now after getting rid of the original ones years ago. I've got Freeway Fighter, Robot Commando, Seas of Blood and I'm fairly certain there's a fourth...

Used to have a whole load more. We even had Warlock on Firetop Mountain as a text adventure on the Spectrum 48K.

Aye, that was the Bloodbeast. Fun to fight.

I've got a few of these now after getting rid of the original ones years ago. I've got Freeway Fighter, Robot Commando, Seas of Blood and I'm fairly certain there's a fourth...

Used to have a whole load more. We even had Warlock on Firetop Mountain as a text adventure on the Spectrum 48K.

I still have The Hobbit for 48k ;) Never did like that game though.

I have ran after school warhammer and d&d clubs for the last two years or so.

I get more interested kids than i can cope with to be honest.

All sound lads and lasses as well.

Myself n a friend did something similar at lunchtimes back in secondary school.. I was the Space Hulk Master!!

Archived