Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lost a bit of an odd piece at a game today... you know that little lever that you push down and over to remove the barrel? yeah well the little lever part fell off. think I could just get a screw from like home depot and pop it in there? Or does anyone know where I can buy a replacement?

Lost a bit of an odd piece at a game today... you know that little lever that you push down and over to remove the barrel? yeah well the little lever part fell off. think I could just get a screw from like home depot and pop it in there? Or does anyone know where I can buy a replacement?

I'm not sure where you can get a replacement.

If you are not worried about the aesthetics, you can use a screw with the proper threading, or just leave it off. The only time you need it is when you want to separate the barrel from the upper receiver. I just do this with a punch or small screwdriver when needed.

So I need a bit of help or to at least just know I'm crazy and asking to much....

I have a JG AUG Military with a few upgrades to it. please read the following:

Bravo 6.03mm tightbore barrel M16/AUG length.

Prome Soft type (the purple one) bucking and nub

Gearbox was shimmed by someone known as old man

xtremefire SW-SF Mosfet

And I think that is it but I may have forgotten something knowing my memory....

Anyway, so my issue is I can't seem to get this thing to shoot even 100 feet. I measured from my door the end of my my backyard and its about 85 feet. to the tree in my neighbors yard is about 95 feet. I fall and just hit the base of my neighbors tree. Now this is with my hop up all the way on pretty much. Does that sound right to you? doesn't seem right to me.... I am using .25 BB's and a 9.6v 2300mAh battery.

last I chrono'd it with the BB's I am using now it was pretty consistant at 325 fps with the hop up on. if I recall right with .2 and hop up off it was shooting 360-370.

If you need any more information please just ask, or if you have any useful input. If you have any witty input like "well you should of bought a CA", I'd rather not hear it. Thank you.

So I need a bit of help or to at least just know I'm crazy and asking to much....

I have a JG AUG Military with a few upgrades to it. please read the following:

Bravo 6.03mm tightbore barrel M16/AUG length.

Prome Soft type (the purple one) bucking and nub

Gearbox was shimmed by someone known as old man

xtremefire SW-SF Mosfet

And I think that is it but I may have forgotten something knowing my memory....

Anyway, so my issue is I can't seem to get this thing to shoot even 100 feet. I measured from my door the end of my my backyard and its about 85 feet. to the tree in my neighbors yard is about 95 feet. I fall and just hit the base of my neighbors tree. Now this is with my hop up all the way on pretty much. Does that sound right to you? doesn't seem right to me.... I am using .25 BB's and a 9.6v 2300mAh battery.

last I chrono'd it with the BB's I am using now it was pretty consistant at 325 fps with the hop up on. if I recall right with .2 and hop up off it was shooting 360-370.

If you need any more information please just ask, or if you have any useful input. If you have any witty input like "well you should of bought a CA", I'd rather not hear it. Thank you.

I'd suggest taking out the hopup unit and adjusting the hopup up and down. Look down the barrel and see if the nub is correctly engaging the bucking and making to protrude depending on the amount of adjustment.

I have shot it with the hop up all the way off. it falls a little short of the tree. I have looked down the barrel as adjusting the hop up all the way on and all the way off and the nub is engaging the bucking. I figured out part of my problem though, my battery was almost dead. still though it seems to fall short. how much range should I be seeing out of this thing? and barrel I do clean but all I have to clean it with is paper towel at the moment.

Yep it is actually the JG cylinder and piston but when I compression tested it it didn't leak down at all. was rather surprised. any other ideas? oh also on a side note... I know these things can handle a 120 spring no problem, what would I need to change out to go higher though?

Hop bucking leaking or not soft enough to spin the bb ? I use a guarder clear in mine and have brilliant range60 Mtrs . But I do have a tm as a base gun . Am using a g&p metal hop unit though as the tm one was leaking air

Mike, a possibility is that the gearbox is drifting back away from the hop up, causing a gap between the air nozzle and the hop up rubber.  To remedy this, you can add some material between the plastic plate and the rear of the gearbox to keep the gearbox interacting with the hop up.  I have heard people using tape, pieces of Velcro, or sorbothane/rubber.  Hope this helps!

Mike, a possibility is that the gearbox is drifting back away from the hop up, causing a gap between the air nozzle and the hop up rubber.  To remedy this, you can add some material between the plastic plate and the rear of the gearbox to keep the gearbox interacting with the hop up.  I have heard people using tape, pieces of Velcro, or sorbothane/rubber.  Hope this helps!

will give this a shot and let you know, is there a way to actually see if it wandered back though?

Mike, at least you can eliminate that one issue.  However, there are a lot of other variables to consider when tracking down your performance issues.  I know you have tested your compression with piston head and the cylinder assembly, but have you tested the nozzle to cylinder head compression?  Even then your air nozzle may not be contacting the bucking properly (improper length to create the necessary seal with bucking lips).  If you feel competent enough, you may shave about 1mm of material off of the front of the tappet plate to help with this.  Is your bucking sealing properly in the hop up chamber?  Is the bucking still viable (undamaged)? Have you taken a look at your nub recently? I've seen them flatten out and therefore do apply enough spin on the bb. Barrel clean?  Quality of bbs can affect performance as well.  When you say you can't hit the tree consistently, what distances are shooting? Are you talking about fliers or rounds dropping before they can make it to the tree?  It can be frustrating tracking down all the problems with airsoft guns, but if you isolate the problems and then eliminate the issue, you'll slowly resolve the low performance you're experiencing. 

I apologize for the long diatribe on isolating problems in your system, I realized I didn't answer your question:  How much range should you be expecting?  Well, it depends on some variables yet again.  I recommend taking a scientific (quantitative) approach in measuring your current performance, and as you isolate and resolve the issues, measure the gains/losses you make in performance. 

Well the bucking and nub are brand new prome soft type bucking. the nozzle is factory and I have not tested the nozzle to cylinder head compression, and I am uncertain as to how to tell if the nozzle is seating on the bucking properly. Barrel is clean at the moment, just cleaned it, I buy BB's from a local store that has there own name put on them, but apparently they come from echo1, I think, don't remember what they said. As of last shooting I hit the tree consistently, I just don't think it would of gone much farther. and that was about 120-130 feet I'd say, maybe a little less. I hear people taking all the time saying there gun shoots 200 feet or even 300, but I am just not seeing that here and that is where I'd like to be.

Well the bucking and nub are brand new prome soft type bucking. the nozzle is factory and I have not tested the nozzle to cylinder head compression, and I am uncertain as to how to tell if the nozzle is seating on the bucking properly. Barrel is clean at the moment, just cleaned it, I buy BB's from a local store that has there own name put on them, but apparently they come from echo1, I think, don't remember what they said. As of last shooting I hit the tree consistently, I just don't think it would of gone much farther. and that was about 120-130 feet I'd say, maybe a little less. I hear people taking all the time saying there gun shoots 200 feet or even 300, but I am just not seeing that here and that is where I'd like to be.

Most people saying they are shooting past 200 without an Rhop are either lying or they have good stuff int their gun. 

If they say 300ft, and they dont have rhop, call BS right away. lol. 

You should be getting at least 160 with a prommy bucking assuming the power is in the 350+ range. 

My suggestion is to take off the back gearbox plate, and plug in your battery, put a loaded mag in, and press the gearbox in while pulling the trigger.

That should at least clear up the issue relating to the gearbox drifting. 

What is an R-hop exactly? Never heard this term before. As for the gearbox drifting I solved that. I just don't know about the rest. like nozzle to cylinder seal, or whether or not the nozzle is properly seated on the bucking.

Its basically a special hopup patch that makes your range go nuts

• 2 months later...

Well I am back again.... Was thinking about doing some upgrades internally to the AUG. Still would like to get some more range out of it and such. I was just wondering what parts people recommend from experience.

Also, is boring up the cylinder worth it and how much of an approvement am I looking to see with that?

So far my upgrade list is: M120 Spring, Metal Ball Bearing Spring Guide, Non ported cylinder, Cylinder Head, Air nozzle, Piston head/Piston/O-rings if the compression with the new cylinder is bad. These are the parts I was thinking:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_63_634&products_id=25973&osCsid=54c663602cfb2527513efc9aa9ffed6a   Nozzle

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_611_333&products_id=32455 Spring

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_401&products_id=26876 Spring Guide

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_348&products_id=25869 Cylinder

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_347&products_id=25964 Cylinder Head

These were my ideas for Piston, and Piston Head:

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_75_393&products_id=26294 Systema Piston

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_75_393&products_id=26499 Guarder Piston

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_74&products_id=26509 Prome Piston Head

There is also this stuff.... It is some type of black rubber I have been told people put on the piston head. I know very descriptive but I was also thinking of doing that to.

Also does anyone recommend a good 6.01 barrel? OR should I stay 6.03? I am using a Bravo 6.03 right now, it isn't to bad. I want to polish it but I don't know how.

All input welcome, thank you.

Archived