• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lower pic in FL_Racer's post shows an A2 to which someone has thoughtfully attached a Finnish made BR Reflex suppressor.

Given that it's an A2 it's not one of the very few privately owned L85s out there so it rather has the look of an overly keen member of HM Forces who has taken the purchasing of his own kit a stage further than the usual fancy boots and Buffalo shirt that most indulge in.

The fact that BR manufacture their suppressors to fit a wide range of military weapons as a straight swap for the flash hider means that it could all be done without having to trouble the REME armourer once, and returned to the armoury at the end of a days playing without any sign of tampering and the risk of a b****cking.

I can't imagine however, that there will be many letters to the Daily Mail complaining about 'our boys' buying their own suppressors before deploying on ops though.

So all in all, both pics are very definitely real steel and probably not strictly what Lance Jackass was looking for

Actually 5.56mm is at the lower end of the calibre spectrum for BR, they go all the way upto .50 BMG stopping at most major calibres on the way, and fitting a range of military hardware including MG34 and Maxim MGs.

It's dangerous enough having people shooting at you, you might as well protect your hearing if you can!

Command and control in a fibua/obua environment is hard enough without the added complication of ear defenders, especially since every unit and sub unit has as least one meathead who's in a world of his own even without the isolation brought about by ear defenders.

It's all to easy for sections to become virtually 'fire and forget' when assaulting, which is fine when operating with an attritionist doctrine that places emphasis on large numbers of organic assets and allows commanders a certain slack in maintaining control, but the manouverist doctrine adopted by UK forces demands commanders maintain a tight grip on their limited resources. I would be loathe to add impediments to my message getting down the line.

That said the active ear defenders used on arty gun lines would offer a solution but, considering what an important addition they make to safety on the gun line, both in terms of safety at the actual gun line and by association down range, the fact that the last time I worked on a gun det they were scaled at 1 pr. per gun highlights that priority lies with cost considerations rather than operational effectiveness.

Ear defenders reduce operational capability, simple as that, but the fact that exposure to gunshot levels of sound on just three occasions will start permanent damage to hearing means that there exists a duty of care as well as purely selfish organizational motives to address issues of noise levels.

Just because a particular technology or solution has not been examined previously is not a good enough reason to dismiss it, this attitude in combination with the forces' ethos of making up logistical shortfalls through sheer human effort has effectively given our tacit approval to the continuing pattern of reduced budgets during periods of increased commitments.

Oops, that wasn't intended as a rant at you Lance Jackass, although it probably looks that way.

I feel quite strongly about the issue of the right equipment for the job, and the fact that often it is made all to easy for innovative and practical concepts to be smothered at birth by bureaucrats with little understanding and even less interest is fraustrating to say the least.

So apologies for any offence I may have caused, and I will allow this thread to return to it's original course.

Well im deaf in one ear so im pretty biased with ear defender issues lol. The active ear defenders are great, sounds like youre talking into a microphone though.

Its not going to happen, but if every squaddy had them, it would be a lot easier. Except when the batteries die mid fire fight.

• 4 months later...

ladies and gentlemen, please observe,

academy L85a1, no upgrades aprox 7000-10,000 rounds through it. still works fine.

note the RIS on the top with a blue light (second picture). broken flash hider, hollow scope, plastic body, only 225fps w/ .2g, commonly double feeds on single shot (about 7/10 of shots), short full auto bursts cause the gears to grind as the spring returnes

but i love it :):D:)

ED-SKaR.jpg

Picture2.jpg

way hay nice thread, i really want to say though the slaggin the real SA80 gets in over the top as i fire LSW's nearly every month being a sergeant in the Army Cadets and all this ###### about the rifle being unreliable is not at all true to avoid stopages just cock the weapon properly and keep it oiled and clean and its fine...

hmmmm, i have VERY strong plans to order a quality L85 from Fareast, just waiting for some paypal verification and to discuss the purchase with my bro (who i brought the ca249 with).

so who knows, there may be some pics of a top quality L85 soon...........

screamin_weasel: the L85s sold by FarEast are MMC classics which have been gutted and had the internals replaced by gearboxes (a crime if you ask me :angry: ) however this is my collection of original classic L85s enjoy.

10006032es.th.jpg10006131na.th.jpg

10006058sw.th.jpg10006079hv.th.jpg

Some pictures of the L85A1 Carbine

10006148xd.th.jpg

10006043aa.th.jpg10006088zu.th.jpg

Some pictures of the L85A1

10006158qv.th.jpg

10006093mx.th.jpg10006106ef.th.jpg

if you need anymore photos just ask!

my Sa80

DSCN5150.sized.jpg

DSCN5152.sized.jpg

DSCN5160.sized.jpg

DSCN5148.sized.jpg

DSCN5158.sized.jpg

Academy Sa80 based, Upgraded V1 gearbox, Famas adjustable hop-up unit installed, modified magwell to hold Standard sized M16 magazines, R/S Sa80 front sight installed, and i'm making a rail for the rear R/S sight to mount onto. Barrel Mounted Surefire 6P with remote pressure switch. the whole gun has been repsrayed to give it a much more real steel look.

- Maveric

Edited by Maveric

L12170015.jpg

L12170014.jpg

For those that don't want gas but would rather have a AEG then here is the pricing.

Gun; L86 LSW: £525.00

Shipping; EMS: £40.00

+3.7% PayPal = £20.90

Total: £585.90

L85A1 £390.641

Shipping £40.00

+4% PayPal= £17

Total: £447.00

Please do not complain about the prices as it includes the internals of another brand new gun and also a very high quality MMC weapon with alot of custom parts and even with shipping its still cheaper than all other companies offering the same.

Here's a few pictures of my SA80.

It's an Academy L85A1 which has had one or two modifications throughout its life.

Internally, it's still using an Academy gearbox. It's had CA gears and piston fitted along with the spring out of my Marui SG1 and a Systema bearing spring guide. The motor has been swapped for a genuine Marui EG560.

There's a Systema Hop-up and a 6.04mm TN barrel too.

It shoots at about 300fps and it's accurate as hell. It's better than most Marui guns.

Externally, well, I'll leave you guys to see if you can spot the changes for yourselves. ;)

P1010007.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010006.jpg

L12170015.jpg

L12170014.jpg

For those that don't want gas but would rather have a AEG then here is the pricing.

Gun; L86 LSW: £525.00

Shipping; EMS: £40.00

+3.7% PayPal = £20.90

Total: £585.90

L85A1 £390.641

Shipping £40.00

+4% PayPal= £17

Total: £447.00

Please do not complain about the prices as it includes the internals of another brand new gun and also a very high quality MMC weapon with alot of custom parts and even with shipping its still cheaper than all other companies offering the same.

How can I get one of the LSW's in gas, do you supply them FarEast?