Which weapon types take 5.56 STANAG?

TheFull9

Evening all

Been meaning to post this up for a long time but not been quite sure how to phrase it up to now, doesn't seem to have been asked before.

Basically, I'm trying to put together a comprehensive list of different designations of weapons that all take 5.56 standard NATO type magazines and are available in AEG form. Obviously the main sticking point is how do you separate them out in to a generally useful list, as you don't want to have every single type of commercially available armalite there, but also want to be specific enough to be of some use. Also would like to include weapons that can be converted with some effort, but not where they're going to require hours in a work shop to make 'em work with stanags. It's a bit of a tricky question to answer I do appreciate, but hopefully those more knowledgeable than me will be able to point out anything I've missed.

So far I've got the following:

-Most AR-15/'Armalite' variants, M4s, M16s, CQB-Rs, SPRs, L119s, XM177s etc

-L85 series of weapons, including L86, L22, Carbine

-HK416 in it's various incarnations

-FN Minimi/M249 light machine gun

-SCAR-L

-G36s with a magwell adaption

-FAMAS with some work I believe?

-1 particular model of SIG 55x, though again I'm not 100% on that.

About all I can think of myself. Apologies if I've not explained myself crystal clear, hopefully you'll see what I mean.

Just a question, why is the SCAR L and HK 416 along with the AR-15's listed, but not the Diemarco? Surely "Armalite & Variations & Derivatives" would suffice, we all know what you mean.

*In theiry the Steyer AUG & Famas mags are Stanag, but jam, and the same go's for older AR-15 5.56mm mags (small 15/20 rounder in L85 with tracer used for target indication) but I have heard of them jamming.* Real steal, sorry.

Some Minimi take em, but not sure why you would, their is a kit for the P90 to take Hi caps but again, not sure why you would. Think that is about evefrything.

Just a question, why is the SCAR L and HK 416 along with the AR-15's listed, but not the Diemarco? Surely "Armalite & Variations & Derivatives" would suffice, we all know what you mean.

Fair question mate, as I say I spent a while trying to decide how to separate out the different systems, best I could explain is by them being based on sufficiently 'different' external parts. For example, as far as I know the SCARs, HK416s and an M4/16s all have variations in their inside parts as well as looking quite different on the outsides, whereas a Canadian military issue rifle isn't changed much from an American one. It's a lot to do with which weapons are easily available as AEGs to be honest, there are kits around to make a C8 for example, but far as I know companies like CA/ICS/TM don't produce large numbers of the things, which is the difference between it and the weapons I listed up top.

Yeah, I saw that, there are a couple of modded ones out there that can.

I have one but it's gas.

Lucky bugger

I think A friend of mine was forced to Modd his gas P90 to take Stanag

Oh, And the Minimi That can As far as I know are just the CA/A&K Minimi's

On the subjest of A&K, as a response to the popularity of the A&K Minimi wolf have knocked the price down on their TOP Minimi, It is now £500, meaning you can now buy 2 A&K Minimi's and have a £100 pound left, And did i mention it is a better gun?

Fair question. I'm not really trying to 'serve a purpose' to be honest, it's just me looking for other people's input, can understand why I may have given that impression though my apologies.

It probably sounds an unusual goal, but I'd like to try and keep all of my AEGs to using just the one type of magazine. Hence, finding out all the types of airsoft gun out there that take the same mags, gives me the most options of weapons to buy. Fair enough a couple of boxes of MAG mids for AKs (as an example) aren't going to break the bank, far from it, I just like the idea of being able to share the same magazines between all my weapons.

Cheers for the input to the guys that have, much appreciated.

Well our group was all standing around the other night and one fellow piped up he was all out of ammo. The circle all reached for mags, SCAR and various M4 variants to hand over.

Sadly he was the one guy with a AK so he then started the long walk back to the cars.

Bit of a no-brainer that one. If you were forming a team and wanted some weapons cohesion without a flat rule "Thou shall carry a M4" it would be useful to refer to a real world list of AEGs.

Adding now, for me having mags that fit the SCAR, and 416 makes the day a bit easier.

yes i understand the benefit of magazine compatability. My confustion was more about the fact that this

thread seems a little unneeded (or at the very least should be placed in the noobie section for the ''my whole team uses m16'sand i want a more distinct but compatible gun''). Its fairly easy to tell what guns take stanag mags, just looking at a stanag compatable gun will usually let you know. Before buying

one of the more unusual compatible models (f2000 or FNC for example) it will come up as a selling point of the gun (i.e ''takes m16 mags!'') and saying that certain guns will take the mags ''with modification'' seems to go against what your trying to achieve given that with enough modification any mag could fit any gun.

Its fairly easy to tell what guns take stanag mags, just looking at a stanag compatable gun will usually let you know. Before buying

one of the more unusual compatible models (f2000 or FNC for example) it will come up as a selling point of the gun (i.e ''takes m16 mags!'')

It's more so I'll know what to actually look for in the first place, the Type 89 and FNC for example I would have never thought of, I've seen them up on websites of course but never looked at any detail as I assumed that they might well have proprietary magazines, as quite a few AEGs do.

saying that certain guns will take the mags ''with modification'' seems to go against what your trying to achieve given that with enough modification any mag could fit any gun.

As I said in the OP, there's modification and there's modification. Sticking a mag adaptor to a G36 is quite easily done, getting a thompson to fit a STANAG however would probably be quite a complex task, and not something I really have the time, equipment (or indeed freedom within Air Force laws) to do where I am right now. End of the day mate I don't want to have an argument with you about it, I asked the question and a few kind people have graciously replied to help me out, if the Moderators feel this thread is un-necessary they will move/delete it I'm sure, simple as.

AK's of any type with the adapter.

Have looked for such an adaptor briefly once, no luck though, who sells 'em?

It's more so I'll know what to actually look for in the first place, the Type 89 and FNC for example I would have never thought of, I've seen them up on websites of course but never looked at any detail as I assumed that they might well have proprietary magazines, as quite a few AEGs do.

actually, when you put it like that i understand your reasoning.

• 4 weeks later...
Airsoft AUGs don't take STANAG, the STAR FNC does take them.

The HK G41 does but there is no airsoft version.

i know ive seen an airsoft G41.

might be somewhere on these very forums, but it looked to be a home made jobby involving cutting up an armalite receiver and welding/brazing/whatever to a metal hk33 or G3 body.

but i dont think theres a retail version, as you say, which is a shame

There's a very easy answer to your question: If the real-steel equivalent shoots 5.56mmx45mm NATO-standard ammunition, then it just about always takes the M4/M16 type standard magazines.

The exceptions are:

* rifles based on an AK receiver (but there is a magwell adapter for these)

* rifles in the G36 series (again there is a magwell adapter)

* the SIG 550/551/552 series (no magwell adapter - but the SIG 556 does take M4/M16 mags)

* the HK33/53 series (no magwell adapter - the G41 did use STANAG mags but was never produced in quantity)

* the French FAMAS (no magwell adapter - but the F2 version does use STANAG mags)

* the Austrian AUG / Australian F88 (no magwell converter)

* Ruger mini-14

Finally, airsoft replicas also usually say if it will accept M16-type magazines.

There's a very easy answer to your question: If the real-steel equivalent shoots 5.56mmx45mm NATO-standard ammunition, then it just about always takes the M4/M16 type standard magazines.

The exceptions are:

* rifles based on an AK receiver (but there is a magwell adapter for these)

* rifles in the G36 series (again there is a magwell adapter)

* the SIG 550/551/552 series (no magwell adapter - but the SIG 556 does take M4/M16 mags)

* the HK33/53 series (no magwell adapter - the G41 did use STANAG mags but was never produced in quantity)

* the French FAMAS (no magwell adapter - but the F2 version does use STANAG mags)

* the Austrian AUG / Australian F88 (no magwell converter)

* Ruger mini-14

Finally, airsoft replicas also usually say if it will accept M16-type magazines.

Afaik the STEYR AUG A3 version seems also be able to use STANAG mags by using different stock group. It´s said that this wa a requirment of "some" nations military. But I haven´t seen any pictures of evidence yet, but it would make sense especially for law enforcement sales, they are clearly targeting ;)

In fact there are also STANAG "Lower" conversion sets avialable on the RS market.

http://www.abload.de/img/cdnn_2018_11071119umd.gif

Archived