Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) Battery Primer

infected

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont really want to trawl through 20 odd pages of text so i shal ask my question.

Can I install a 7.2v Li-Po battery into my current 9.6v configuration, fully upgraded internals.

Thanks alot

Edit - To FaRKle - a plugged in a 7.2v li-po into my P90 which was running a 9.6v configuration bosted the ROF a noticable amount.

I dont really want to trawl through 20 odd pages of text so i shal ask my question.

Can I install a 7.2v Li-Po battery into my current 9.6v configuration, fully upgraded internals.

Thanks alot

Edit - To FaRKle - a plugged in a 7.2v li-po into my P90 which was running a 9.6v configuration bosted the ROF a noticable amount.

If you're that lazy, I doubt you'd take care of a lipo properly.

But to answer your question, you can. I had a drop in ROF in my KWA M4 (380 fps) vs 9.6v. But if you take the time to READ you'll learn much more.

Hi peoples, I am gonnay do a super noob ignorant lack of search post. So apologies in advance.

I am now using 11.1v li-ion firefox batts in my ak's, they are VERY good, my kalash and vfc's can handle them very very well.

I am just wondering about the charger, I have one of those really ###### small ' auto balance charger ' thingys. I start to charge and rig up my meter, the voltage seems to skip between three different voltages which differ constantly. Now I assume that to be the balancing thing doin its stuff on the three cells. I know I want a 12.6v peak on the pack when its fully charged..

It can go way above, or way below. and changes all the time.

What am I lookin out for in this instance of keek chargerdom ?

I will be spending the cash very soon at my local hobby shop for a proper lipo charger to suit. But in the time being.... help :)

Thanks people.!

Thanks alot

Sure. Heck you could put a 22.2v lipo in there if you wanted too. There are things to consider, and I'd end up rewiring the article to talk about it all. Just because your setup is fully upgraded doesn't mean it'll last. I've been running a bone stock Dboys SCAR on a 7.4v 30C cell for months, but other than bad shimming, the most important bit was already taken care of by DBOYS.

If you don't have proper AOE, your rig could die a painfull death. OF course, if you're already running a 9.6v the 7.4 shouldn't make much of a difference. Heck, if you had a good 9.6v the ROF might even drop a tad with the 7.4v

BTW, it's 7.4v not 7.2v if you're talkinga bout a lipoly. They are 3.7v per cell.

Thanks alot. I just plugged in the 7.4v li-po and the ROF is much higher than when i was using a 9.6v has more of a kick as well. I was going to re-wire to 14 AWG in a few weeks time.

At the minute my P90 is MOSFET & 7.2v li-po and full guarder & systema internals with 14 AWG wireing. Been the past 5 months been brillaint hasnt had a problem.

Can any one reccomned what lipo would be suited for a A&K M249 Para please i looked around but can't find any reccomedations.

Well, what are you looking for out of it? Mine is a high ROF. I'm running a G&P M120 motor, 350fps spring, systema high speed gears and an 11.1 25C 2200mah ThunderPower Lipoly. this fits easily in the handguard and lasts me all day long. You could probably put a larger 7.4v lipo in the handguard if you wanted to.

just finished reading the articles lad, outstanding work.

id been humming & hawing about making the changeover to li-po & mosfet for ages but thats made my mind up.

im currently using a stock dboys cqb sd wit a fire fox 9.6 3000 mAh in a crane stock and have never had an ounce of bother with it but i have always wanted burst fire & a faster trigger response.

over here the limit is 328 with a .2 i.e. 1 joule.

my question is, am i better off upgrading the motor, gears, piston ect first or just going li-po & mosfet and wait for things to fail?

im not after insane rof & cant do high fps, i just want quick trigger response & 3 shot burst, along with all the other benefits of li-po.

im guessing these arent suitable due to hi voltage & low fps set up:

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1881

http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1770

i know theyre cheap shít but im on a very tight budget, global economic turndown and whatnot.....or shud i just stick with my original battery & try sqeeze a mosfet in....... somewhere

thanks

I'm not a fan of the firefox batteries myself.

One thing I will tell you is that a mosfet doesn't give you 3 round burst. A microcontroller does that. I don't make microcontrollers, but there are a few guys out there who do.

You don't have to replace those parts in your gun, but you can. The most important thing is that your shimming is right on. I ran my Dboys SCAR for several games, with it in stock condition on a 7.4v lipo with no ill effects what so ever. In fact is looked nearly new inside and the piston had almost no wear.

If you want fast trigger response, a mosfet is a must have, and an 11.1 might not be a bad investment. Your limiting factor in full auto (ROF) will be the rpms of that stock motor... they aren't very high at all.

Hello

A friend of mine bought the same 11.1v 25c thunder power lipo infected has, it is amazing!! makes his completely overhauled cyma Thompson sing

He's running...

Guarder sp120

echo 1 version 6 shell

guarder metal bushings

Guarder polycarbonate piston

Guarder aluminum piston and cylinder head

Guarder m4 length cylinder

Modify reinforced high torque gears(MUCH better then guarders)

Extreme Fire Wiring

Infected's mosfet

Deans

and a Matrix 3000 Motor (torque model)

Guarder tappet+nozzle

Guarder steel spring guide

No AOE correction Because I don't feel like destroying his piston by accident

MY question is does anyone see any weak points in this setup?

Thanks

So a 7.4 Li-poly will be just as good, if not better than, an 8.4v NiMH?

I'm thinking of getting one to replace the stock battery that will come with my D-Boy AK-74.

Will a li-poly give me a bit faster trigger response? Or do I really need a mosfet?

If someone would please direct me to a 7.4v stick-type li-poly battery for my D-Boy AK-74 that would be cool too.

A 7.4v lipo will perform better than most 8.4v packs. You'll likely get better trigger response given the ability to put down more current, but a lipo is really need or you could char and burn up your trigger contacts and you'll either end up with a low ROF, or a worn out trigger switch. How long that will take is anyone's guess.

I'm not a fan of the firefox batteries myself.

One thing I will tell you is that a mosfet doesn't give you 3 round burst. A microcontroller does that. I don't make microcontrollers, but there are a few guys out there who do.

You don't have to replace those parts in your gun, but you can. The most important thing is that your shimming is right on. I ran my Dboys SCAR for several games, with it in stock condition on a 7.4v lipo with no ill effects what so ever. In fact is looked nearly new inside and the piston had almost no wear.

If you want fast trigger response, a mosfet is a must have, and an 11.1 might not be a bad investment. Your limiting factor in full auto (ROF) will be the rpms of that stock motor... they aren't very high at all.

nice one, thanks for the quick reply, i may as well be better off leaving the set up alone then as its not given me any trouble so far, im happy enough with trigger response & ROF at the moment & honestly wouldnt want any higher ROF.

ill just go lipo for my next gun.

does the micro-controller need to be used in conjunction with a mosfet to achieve 3 round burst?

what dont you like about firefox as a mater of interest?

airsoft only became legal here two years ago so were fairly behind the rest of the civilized world when it comes to technology.

id say the vast majority of airsofters here use a screwdriver,pen ect.. to get the 2 pin factory charger plug into our 3 pin 220v sockets & charge them overnight or untill they get too hot.

The micro-controller is the brain that controls when the gun shoots and when it doesn't. That gives you the three round burst. The mosfet is.. well a mosfet. Most guys who make the microcontroller boards also have mosfets on the board as well. They are a good bit more expensive though.

The firefox batteries just aren't proven, and we don't know who's making them. There's no track record either. I prefer using batteries from companies that have a reputation in the R/C world, as those radio control guys really beat their batteries up a good bit. On top of that.. all these "Airsoft" batteries are surrounded by so much hype that turn out to just be false dreams and smoke and mirrors. I just ordered another ThunderPower pack myself (literally just ordrerd it). The guys at Rclipos.com have the 2250mah 30C 7.4v for only 49.99 SHIPPED. Pretty good deal here in the USA for that battery.

If you want fast trigger response, a mosfet is a must have

It also depends on what motor you have. Some motors you won't notice a difference in trigger response between a 7.4v lipo and 7.4v lipo with MOSFET (Magnums), but other motors (notably the more voltage hungry motors) you'll notice a difference. Actually, some voltage hungry motors (such as the SRC Ultra High Torque/PEUSA motor) get better trigger response and ROF off of a 9.6v 2700mah battery than a 7.4v lipo with MOSFET.

I've found Magnums to be very versatile motors that work very well with lower voltages (7.4v and 8.4).

Archived