How do you arrange your pouches?

Coldgunner

When you put all the magazine pouches on one side, how does that coop with weight? Isn't it heavy with all magazines on one side?

Does it ever get front heavy or do you use a HAWG/similar or camelback/similar?

By the way, this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

I, personally, like my mags at my center-left so I can easily reach them with my weak arm. I do also, at times, shoot with my left but mostly right. I put tools, water, BB's, and everything else that I wont need on the field on my back. I 'd put all pyros, mags and suck on my front and the rest off to the far sides or back, the sides can be very useful for magazine placement but as an ambedextrous player, you might want to put them more towards the center and pyros right next to them(close to your throwing arm).

Everything you are not going to need on the field that you might need to use off the field, like tools, socks, BB's, etc. can be stored on your back. Comms could be places anywere but I'd mount mine on the front, gotta get some tho :P

I put all my mags as close to the centre as possible, evenly placed on both sides as i am an ambidextrous shooter (i change my firing hand practically every few seconds without thinking about it, people tell me im wierd). I have my grenades/utilities on the outsides with grenades on the left as i like to throw left handed. (my leg mounted grenades are on the right though, and my spare ammo is on my left leg :wacko::blink: dont worry it makes sense to me :) )

i have never been fond of dump pouches, i suppose 8 years of the drill :"open pouch, remove magazine, place in pouch, remove fresh magazine, place on weapon" is too hard to shake.

Ive tried to use dump pouches, but i always forget that it is there.

Darkchild

I'm right handed. I put a row of M16/M4 shingles all the way across my plate carrier. Four in the front, three on each side. I will naturally draw from the front, all things being equal, but I like to keep some on the left for when I'm laying out prone. The right side, mostly, is extras. If I don't have time to reload the empties when I put them back, then I'll swap the empties around to the right.

I keep a few utility pouches on either side, mounted on the shingles, for tactical snacks, dead rags, reloaders, and general nonsense.

Agree on need of a picture. Not a PC but still same concept:

Gear.jpg

Gear2.jpg

Gear3.jpg

(I'm right handed and right is my strong side.)

Mags on the weak side and utility pouches on my strong side. This done because with mags on your weak side you can use your strong arm to hold rifle/pistol stable towards target. Utility pouches are not used a much compared to mags changes and are place on the strong side of my rig. Dump pouch by my left side of my *albatross* simply it become constant moving motion to change mags. Grab empty, drop in dump, grab new mag, load rifle/pistol; best situation all my weak arm does is swing back and then forth back to my gun. Once you got your arrange good, you should be able to drop mag and load a new mag without taking your eyes off target down range with either rifle or pistol.

I tend to go for two basic patterns of setting up my webbing.

CQC - Moving fast and more likely to be shooting from the weak side - Plate carrier or chest rig. Mags to the front and utilities to the sides so it's a very ambidexterous arrangement.

Patrol - more likely to be wearing a bergen and hitting the dirt - Chest rig or belt kit. Mags on the weakside, although I usually have two on the strong side incase I have to reload in an awkward position or off-handed. Utility/grenades onn the strong side.

Can you reach that pouch at the back easily?

When I have my belt on the back utility pouch is more to my right and is easily reach if need and not straight back. I also think it would be also important if you get to know the shape and feel of items placed in utility pouches. Once you get that knowlegde, hopefully, you will never pull out something and be suprise at what you get :D

What mag pouches (far left) are those for? AK? P90?

They are HSGI Universal Mag Pouch (UMP). Fits 3 m4/m16 or 2 ak or 2 m14 or 4 mp5. Like them for later on I don't have to go pouch buy if say I decided on a new gun platform. There is a good deal on ak47.net from a private seller.

after doing what people have already suggested, then think speed

a reloading man is a dead man, right? so, reduce that chance.

move your hand down to your mag pouch... how is it oriented? now, move your hand back to the rifle. how is it oriented?

thing about angles. me, i have my magazines brass down, pointing toward my strong side (unless im NT using magpuls, in which case they point toward my weak side). when i go down to reload, i loop my middle finger through my magpul. then, it pull up and right before i put it in the rifle, THATS when i eject my spent magazine. so, there is a TINY gap where my rifle has no ammunition in it. i then pick up the mag when i get a chance, or kick it to safety. alternatively, when you pull your mag out, instead place it on your magazine thats in the rifle, forming an L shape... the brass is forward, pointing down. then, hip the mag release, and with your weak hand, remove the spent mag, and while still holding both in an L shape, rotate, and place new mag in. a bit slower than the first option, but retains magazines 100%

an alternative to the L reload would be the staggered reload; same thing, bt when you place the spent mag on the mag in the rifle, place it up high outside the rifle, so you can grab the mag thats in the rifle. then, hit the release, pull both mags down, and place the new mag in the rifle. you are then still holding the spent mag, so place it in your dump pouch.

avoid placing spent mags back in mag pouches, use a dump pouch. if you dont have a dump pouch, place spent mags in pouches differently, such as brass up so you see there is no ammunition left.

any magazine or round should be on your weak side or center. primary mags take priority for space, and should always be placed in the best position. use muscle memory to "remember" with your hands where stuff on your rig is, and reload without looking. take your eyes off the target, and you are dead.

utility pouches should be on your strong side, as well as backup weapons. frags and bangs should be more torward your strong side, but still reachable with your weak hand.

i think that covers it...

0802081557-1.jpg

when using a NON AR type magazine/rifle:

for any rifle, never take your firing hand off the rifle to reload. so, try using the new magazine to remove the spent mag from the rifle. faster than removing the spent mag, placing it in a pouch, and then reloading. also, reduces time that you rifle is dry.

this is one of my first times trying a speed reload with an M14:

th_MOV00183.jpg

-Joe

They are HSGI Universal Mag Pouch (UMP). Fits 3 m4/m16 or 2 ak or 2 m14 or 4 mp5. Like them for later on I don't have to go pouch buy if say I decided on a new gun platform. There is a good deal on ak47.net from a private seller.

I might have to get me a few of these, so I don't have to have a million mag pouches for 5 rifles.

Does anybody have any good hints for getting mag pouches to stretch a bit? I used my black double M4 mag pouches for my G36 mags for a bit, but now I'll be using STANAGs in my G36c, however the mag pouch is very tight around the mags, to the point where if I pull one mag out the other mag in the pouch also gets pulled out. The pouches are ACM ones, not sure if that'll make any big difference.

Does anybody have any good hints for getting mag pouches to stretch a bit? I used my black double M4 mag pouches for my G36 mags for a bit, but now I'll be using STANAGs in my G36c, however the mag pouch is very tight around the mags, to the point where if I pull one mag out the other mag in the pouch also gets pulled out. The pouches are ACM ones, not sure if that'll make any big difference.

Leave the mags in there to stretch the pouch or if the pouches are like Eagle Industries pouches, you could cut the elastic strap.

Alot of people cut the elastic. The Elastic is for either 1 of two things. DBT pouches have an interior leatherish liner and elastic because they are designed to be jumpable(like out of airplanes). Others like Eagle are designed to have good retention for when only 1 mag is left in the pouch.

My recommendation is to cut it.

Archived