How do you arrange your pouches?

Coldgunner

Been playing about with various setups on my vests. I can't seem to get it absolutely perfect as to full mags location and dump pouch for empties. Also locations for tools, wallet and any pyros. Apololgies if this has been done before but does anyone have any advice? I'm an ambidextrous shooter with a tendency to use the right arm.

edit: just realised this is in the wrong section, would a mod please do the honours?

I like to have my dump pouch on the left side of the vest so I can reload and dump in one fluid motion. Additionally I usually put utility pouches to the right because I don't use them as often as I would a dump pouch. This of course would be reversed if you are left handed.

Indeed. Primary and secondary mags on your weak side, bangs and utilities on your strong side. So you have the weapon in your strong hand and ready to go as soon as its reloaded.

Also hanging the dump pouch over your left *albatross* cheek helps, since your hand drops to thier naturally, then back up, past the mag pouches, draw a fresh one and reload.

Pistol pouches can also go chest or belt mounted, on your weak side, if you've got too many primary pouches taking up the weak side of your vest.

In the end its what works for you, but i've found the above things quite handy.

Pretty much what they said - I have my mags going all the way from my left on the cumberbund of the vest and it covers the entire front portion. FA kit is on the right part of the cumberbund. Dump pouch I keep on the left side of the cumberbund below the mag pouches.

When reloading, I pull out a fresh mag using my index, middle, and thumb, take out the empty mag using my pinky, ring, and palm, slam the fresh one in, and dump the empty one. This way I'm ready to fire sooner. If I'm behind good cover then I'll take the time to take out the empty one, draw a new one and put it in.

Some great advice in this thread for those of us who don't know Jack about vest usage.

One horrendously noob question though, can someone please define weak/strong side? I.e, I'm right handed, would my strong side be my right, or my left?

Right handed = right side/strong side and vice versa.

Just like everyone else, On my FLC I have my mag pouches and utilities on my weak side (right side for me, since I'm left handed), and my canteen, grenades, and a sustainement pouch holding a few extra mags(just until I get more mag pouches on my weak side). basically, anything you won't need your rifle at the ready to grab (I.E, water. your not going to be shouldering your rifle and taking a drink at the same time are you?) goes on your strong side.

On my Weestatch, since I don't really have a choice iwth mag pouches, my utility goes on the weak side and anything else on the strong side.

Should there be any change when using a G36c?

I found that when I fired I was holding the foregrip with my left and the pistol grip with my right, but when it came to reloading I actually had to hold the entire gun in position with my left(Foregrip) and use my strong hand to fully grab the mag/mag release (I hate the G36 mag release) and reload. It felt good enough, all my mag pouches were on my strong side, but somehow I think I can improve.

Ideally, when I get my STANAG magwell, I'll be using my middle finger as my trigger finger, and my index can swivel between safety and mag release, so that I'm always capable of shooting, even during reloading, and my other hand can be free to feed loaded mags into the magwell.

It depends really lol. Ill give you a for instance on a Weesatch. Rifle ammo goes in center, pistol goes far left, bib is for small utility(Multi-Tool, Flashlight, etc) and any kind of map/comms info pouch. Radio would go left as well, just enough that it can be messed with when the time comes. Right side i reserve for general utility(Canteen/Nalgene, Medical Pouch, GP pouch). My dumper is on my belt on rear left. Pistol if rig mounted is on right side

I know alot of people say weakside for mags but i find its easier to grab from the centerish region rather that go for them mounted as far left as possible. When i get the opportunity i reinsert empty mags into the pouches and i check to see which ones have been used based on whether they are flipped up or down, so when i have to do ammo check i can just glance and see.

Gun to gun there shouldnt be a big difference in pouch placement to enhance reloading. Everything except armalite style reloads in a similar fashion with the latch on the back of magwell(im sure ill eat my words for not thinking of everything). For some guns its going to be slower when you are making sure to put the magazine in the dumper. G36 is weird because its a back latch but it sits up in the magwell like m4 instead of being rocked in place like a g3 or ak47. The latter two if you are doing a speed reload just knock the empty out of the well with the fresh one.

what weapon do you use and what style of play do you use mostly?

i ask becuase i use an M4, and the mag can be dropped with one finger (right handed) while having the spare mag ready in your left hand.

this is great in the real world cos you would leave the discarded mag where it falls, obviously you want to collect your empty... which is where you have a few options depending on style of play, if you are like a beserker and charge in alot, you have to weigh up the risk of potentially losing mags or an unscrupulous sort finding it and not returning it, if you hold back and pick your firefights, you will usually have cover and be able to collect the fallen mag.

your best bet is carry as much ammo as you have and change mags regularly and refil regularly to avoid getting caught with your pants down... i use an old set of chest webbing with velcroed mag pouches, i find it to be the best compromise as it is ambidextrous and also holds mp5 mags and g3 mags etc and is much faster than messing about with clips or buckles.

Well, I got a battle belt set up with four M4 pouches on my immediate right, and my dump pounch on the immediate left. I carry 3 weapons, MP5A4, gas mp5k and a TM mk23. The Mk23 sits in its holster all day and is barely used, I put the gas mp5 mags to the left of my dump pouch, and my pouch for my bb bottle almost behind me. The Mp5k hangs on a single point sling and dangles down the front or back.

I use this set up because I can then reload my aeg in 3 motions:

1. Use left arm to put empty the the dump pouch

2. using the same arm, grab a mag from my immediate right

3. put mag in aeg

between games I reload and shuffle mags about so that I have the full ones in the easiest pouches.

I enjoy using the gas smg, but its not suitable for a main, I may not bother with a sidearm the next game.

You've done the opersite of what people suggested.

Primary mags on the left side.

The dumper can shift around and hang over your left *albatross* cheek if it gets in the way where it is.

I'm still playing about with it, gonna swap them round later and try that way.

Place your pouches in conjunction to where your hand falls naturally, how you shoot (kneeling, laying down etc) and what won't bang about when you move.

Ideally, have spare mags on your weaker shooting side, so you can hold your gun and reload, and think about having your radio pouch (if you have one) on your back, because once it's set up, you may not have to fiddle with it again.

But it is purely an individual thing.

I've got my M14 mag pouches (5 pouches x 2 mags) situated on the left side of my vest, with a dump pouch situated a little further near my left *albatross*-cheek.

On my right side, i've got 2 pistol mag pouches next to my M14 pouches, with an M249 ammo pouch for storage (BB bottle, food, iPod for extreme tunes, etc.) underneath my left armpit.

Then i've got an Admin pouch above my mag pouches for my nametape and a couple morale patches, with a few little things inside of it.

And the back of the vest is mostly covered by a Hydration system, so there really isn't anything I can do back there.

Archived