Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are missing the point here, FRS is a UHF range, specifically 462-467mhz, you can find Sabers that are in that range, or any radio for that matter and program them to FRS freqs.. Those bubble pack radios are UHF radios, the limiting factor is broadcasting power. Legally you are not supposed to operate over .5 Watts in the FRS range, and you can't operate outside of the FRS/GMRS range without a liscence, but most people don't seem to know that or don't care.

I'd reccomend running over to the wiki page a doing a little more reading.

I was wondering about the legality of operating a UHF/VHF on FRS freqs since I see so many people with UHF/VHF like Sabers and other high powered radios that not everyone can afford. It just seemed like a waste to get a radio that you could only use to talk to one or two people.

Alright dude, you seem to lack a basic understanding of this concept. Here is some basic reading....

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/family-radio-service-frs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-way_radio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkie-talkie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF

http://64.180.99.208/frsfreq.htm

The only issue legally within the FRS spectrum is broadcasting power, you cannot exceed 0.5 watts on FRS channels, most programmable radios have programmable output power as well, so problem solved, however it is not like the FCC can detect you operating at over 0.5 watts, so most people don't exactly follow the law.

Second any programmable or freq. select radio that operates within or as long as it covers the range of 462-467 mhz ( Sabers can be found that cover this range, as well as Icom radios, XTSs, ect. ect.) can be programmed or set to FRS Frequency channels to talk to non-programmable UHF radios in the FRS range like motorola talkabouts, commonly referred to as bubble pack radios.

If you want to operate outside of FRS as many people do its a easy test and a $25 fee to get a liscence, however its not like the FCC can readily check this, so many people operate without a liscence.

I find the best bang for the buck radio to be the Wouxun KGUV-3D, VHF/UHF, only around 110, easy programming with a cheap cable and makes setting up other Wouxuns easy with the also cheap clone cable, standard packs last a while and you can also get AA battery packs for emergencies. Broadcast and Receive is pretty good with the stock antenna setup out ranging some similarity priced ICOMs from my own experience atleast.

Have a quick question rerencing the US MBTIR, I was looking at the PTTs on Px-Airsoft and noticed they had two sepearate modles of the u94 the 009 and the 011, I'm looking to hook up replica headsets and later on my read headsets (invisio m3, and I realize they both have the option for real or replica headsets so I would need to different PTTs) but don't know which PTT to select, any advice welcomed.

right now I'm just setup to use a thales handset, a soudtube hearpiece, and a broadband TVAS, but new toys make all the difference.

not drunk, just typing on this damn ipad...god I need a computer I can travel with.

no, what I'm curious about is the difference between Px-Airsoft's 009 and 011 U94 PTTs is, they both have options for different impedence (you can get both made for real or replica headsets), but they are different prices, is one better than other, are they slightly different versions of a U94 ect. ect.

FF, the 011 PTT is made by Emerson (slotted screw heads and Nexus trades). The 009 is made by...someone else; Element/ZTac maybe? I have the equivalent of the 011 with a Talkabout plug; it's fairly nice plastic - at least not just cheap ABS - and the button doesn't really have any "click" feel to it, it just goes down. I'm pretty sure a friend of mine has the other style; if he does, I can get a side-by-side comparison in the next few days if you'd like.

(For what it's worth, his is broken, which is why I don't know if he still has it or just chucked it in the trash.)

I can say there's a very noticeable difference between my unknown-brand replica U94 and my real MSA one. Both have continued to work without fault for as long as I've had them, but the MSA one is noticeably heavier, the clamp is sturdier and "grippier," and the button clicks down in a much more tangible way (which you may or may not regard as a plus, as above). I got it for around $20 on ebay, so if you're worried about breakage I'd say you should do the same.

Alternately, some of the newer Peltor and TCI PTTs have internal impedence detection and switching, at least this is what I've been told. If you're willing to spend closer to $200 you could have one solution that works for whatever.

(PS, I definitely wrote "Let me see if you understand the question," when I clearly meant "Let me see if *I* understand..." in my earlier reply above, hope that didn't throw anybody)

(PPS - still definitely looking for an answer to my question about how the dual comm QuietPros actually work, if anyone knows!)

I've got a question about the QuietPros... I've seen a couple up for sale now that are supposedly the dual comm version... but they still seem to have only one cable, and one port on the PTT unit itself! So, uh, how does that work?

Most of the units I've seen listed for sale only have one of the two connector cables included with the item. Mine, for example, came with only the cable with the PRC connector, while my single comm Nacre's each came with the XTS/Jedi connector. The PRC connector cable screws into the small port on the bottom of the unit, while the XTS connector cable twists onto the larger port. If you are looking at a dual-comm, they all have a switch on the top of the unit to switch between radios. I've seen some single coms listed as duals, probably because the single comm units have both connector points on the bottom of the unit, so be careful.

Can anyone tell me, what the cheapest radio is, that will work along with a Nacre QuietPro comm. setup?

Something in the Jedi-series family, probably a HT1000. I run mine with an MTS2000. FYI, Jedi-series Motorola radios and the newer XTS series use the same connector, the XTS may have additional features that the older Jedi-series radios don't, IDK.

How many people that play in the US use thier UHF radios all that much?

I use my UHF radios at pretty much any large event, sometimes just to keep track of ppl as they respawn, but it gets used.

• 1 month later...

no, it works on the same impedance as military commo, mine works with my Peltor PTTs, my TEA PTTs, and my U94 clone meant for real headsets, but it does not work with my repro PTTs meant for my repro headsets. That's why battle rhino sells their own PTTs. I will say for $30 its pretty nice little piece of kit.

frogfish, can you provide any more details on them? Things like audio quality/how robust they are?

I'm interested in them, but put off by poor experiences with similar in-ear comms which have been half decent at receiving but had terrible output (fuzzy/loud/static).

Hi, after getting tired of research how to adapt real steel MSA sordin to Kenwood 2-pin Woxoun :) Which is pain in the *albatross*...

So I have a solution to verify :) I need some other radio that works (or can work ) in PMR 466 frequencies.

I think to buy Motorola Saber I or II with UHF + buy replica PTT (with SABER plug) from HK that should work + RS MSA SORDIN (with TP120).

Question - does Impendence is matching in SABER II and MSA Sordin???

Can you program SABER II? Does ASTRO SABER works with MSA SORDIN?

Archived