Radio Comms Thread

Fatal

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm currently running my Saber to a handmic, which I can keep down fairly low, but I'd like some sort of headphones to keep it quieter.  My PASGT precludes the use of things like sordins/comtacs as they simply don't fit, and I've run earbuds before, but don't like the loss of situational hearing.  I'm thinking of putting some helmet speakers in, such as those used in motorcycle helmets.  Has anyone here tried this?  Or, does anyone has experience with helmet speakers for other uses(like motorcycling) that they could share?  Thanks

The Chinese government tells me what I want, not you.  :D  Anyways, I haven't heard of those, they seem like they could work.  I can't say I'm the biggest fan of ear buds though, as having something on my ear isn't very comfortable.  Have you used those?  How do they feel?

• 1 month later...

Alright, I have a question I'd like to throw out.  So I have my Saber to PTT/mic to headset.  I'm thinking out how to add music into the setup.  I know I can't use a y-splitter because of the possible damage, but I'd like to hear the music, then have the signal from the radio cut in when it's active.  I would even be willing to settle for hearing both at once, though the former is ideal.  So what I need is like an automatic A/B switch?  Or an audio mixer?  I have some space, since the wires coming out of the PTT and into the headset are routed into my MAP, but I don't want something hueg like xbox.  Has anyone incorporated an ipod or something similar into their comms?

@Seraphim: I would imagine there's already some sort of switch already on the market that would perform as you want, but the tricky part might be getting adapters to work with all of the different components.  That said, if you have music playing, won't you lose the situational awareness that you were worried about losing with a regular earbud in?

I dunno, sometimes I don't like to play too seriously  :D

But really the music has to be rather a bit louder than I'd expected, so I don't think it'll work out.  And since my new team has their own special radios, it seems I'll use this same sort of set up to run dual comms instead

I found this which allows you to combine up to three inputs into a single output; given the cost, I think I'll try it out

• 1 month later...

Well, I went ahead and bought one. I'll be the test subject and see how it works out. <br />I got the Toy Soldier u94 for military headsets MSA/COMTAC with kenwood pins

<br /><br />You'll probably run into the dreaded impedance issue with those. I ran a set of MSA Sordins with a Quansheng radio, and had to get a pro quality ptt to get it all to play together nicely. Sure you can get them to work by messing with them, but why screw up the resale value on them. <br />If the ptt doesn't work, try srstactical.com.

Here is a little video review I made once I received the u94.

It seems to be working great.  No noticeable difference between the sound or loudness when using the MSA's and PTT or just the radio mic by itself.  I would say that this could be a viable option for those on a budget who are saving up for a Real u94. 
Just need to make sure you are buying the ptt with the amplification. 
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't suppose anyone has experience with Baofeng hand sets? Especially the UV5R that seem to be pretty popular at the moment.

Mine was fine for ages until the earlier this month when everytime I transmit it sounds like a wet fart. Tried without PTT and it's deffo the hand set. Looked through the settings and even tried turning it on and off by it still sounds like it has suffered through a particularly strong curry! 

They are cheap units, but I'd rather fix than replace if poss. I can try and record a video if required.

Thanks!

I don't know of anything purpose built for it with MOLLE but they can sit nicely in hydration bladder pouches, or alternately you could modify the existing holster type thing they have for them by cutting off the straps and stitching MOLLE straps on the back, that way someone can easily change the frequency if needs be.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing a few people mention Baofeng recently,

I was looking into getting a UV-5r off ebay, but looking into the legal implications.

yes it can transmit on PMR freq and has a low power setting, but is programmable and has a removable antenna.

According to what i've read on the subject this means you would need a foundation radio licence to transmit on it.

Is anyone doing this? or is it a case of "use it no one will check" ?

I'm running Binatone 950's with a throat mic at the minute, as they are cheap and got good reviews on amatuer radio forums. 

Up until I heard about the Baofengs I was considering an Intek 5050 for myself and keeping the 950's for my son and his friends.

cheers, Jim

Archived