Helmets?!

Zitrix

Helmets for alot of things are more trouble then they are worth, but so is most airsoft kit :P

I have a Ukrainian sphera helmet and its the one of the more impracticable bits of gear I own. However, its also pretty sweet so thats all good ;)

When I skirmish down at the "rock", I have worn a helmet and it has helped, as the site is a stone quarry and is pretty hard, and banging your head is quite easy, and it hurts quite a bit, so a helmet isn't a completly stupid idea, although to be honest, you only need a cheap skateboard helmet and spray it black to make you look 1337.

edit: changed russian to ukrainian.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually run around without anything covering my head, and it has worked out pretty good so far, but I'm going to use boonies and caps in the future.

A helmet is big, heavy and HOT, but certain impressions do require it. I've had a norwegian issue helmet, but I hated wearing it while I was in the army, and probably would have during a skirmish. I tend to get more than hot enough as it is, and then my glasses fog up

I think if you want a helmet for practical reasons ,get a skate helmet . The repros are very light, but I found that it affects my hearing .Everything sounds a bit echo-ie ,especialy in cqb. I sold my repro. I do have a nam helmet with all the obligitairy trinkets ,even has some shrapnell in it. I skirmished it twice. It was real heavy .2nd time I used it a bb hit right in one of the button holes ,It rang like a bell .It gave me the worse headache ever .So go for kevlar not steel if you want a real one :D

+1 for using a helmet is necessary, especially in CQB.

Bunker , Epsom, our first game ever: it was one of the last games (so all the tunnels were filled with smoke from pyros thrown in previous games) and my team mate made a dive towards a little cover . Unfortunately because of poor lights and smoke he miscalculated the depth of the shadows and rammed the wall at full speed (240 lbs guy we are talking about). He bounced back from the wall (it was funny like hell to watch) but he survived without any bruises thanks to his helmet. On the helmet there were some deep and scary looking scars from the impact.

Woodland game, chobham : I was hiding behind a tree and waited the offendis to come. I concentrated on the right side of the tree when I heard some noise from the other side. I quickly did a 180 and managed to head-butt a beautiful, thick branch. Thanks to me helmet, all I had to do was dive again into the floor to dodge messengers of the house of the flying BBs and curse like hell.

So, I keep my helmet on.

I'd say that if you do a lot of indoor / around building games you should get a helmet. I was under a ramp going to the upper level of a farm house, and when moving closer to get a better fov I hit my head on one of the concrete supports for the ramp... Luckily I was wearing my M1 steel pot. Even then I could tell it was a pretty solid hit.

If you play at ucap and you're my height a helmet comes in handy.

Also when LFU used to use their 432 they used to insist on folk riding in it having helmets.

We mainly do wwii now and they just look right to be honest.

I cant remember seeing you in a lid mate. All I had was one of those plastic things yith had.

This may sound kind of stupid, but does anyone know if a helmet will at all fit on this mask:

http://www.protopaintball.com/SwitchFS/features.html

(Note that I have an earlier version WITHOUT the removable visor)

I'm looking to buy a helmet and want to know if I should get a new mask to go with it (Most fields around here require full face protection or a mask)

I'm glad I wear a helmet. At the site I was playing yesterday there is no bang rule, so one of the opposition snaeks up behind 3 of us and since the one of us is mainly obscured by the bodies of the others, deliberately goes for a raking full auto burst across the backs of our heads at 2-3 metres. Ironicly the obscured guy wasn't hit, but walked 'cos he said he should have been hit and it was just dumb luck be wasn't. I took a couple of bbs in the neck, but most went across the helmet, but they really hurt.

Archived