Helmets?!

Zitrix

So whats the point in wearing a helmet. Besides the obvious of eliminating back of the head shots i dont get it. I have a Bolletype but iv never really used it, n was thinking of selling it or settling for a MICH but i wont if theres not much point in a game...or is there. I find whenever i wear it i just feel hot..coupled with the fact of a balaclava over my face!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because it makes you look awesome ;) I dont think there that heavy (i've got about 2 steel helmets) and much prefer wearing them to getting shot in the head (which is happening a lot recently <_< ) But most of all they top of impressions perfectly

What Fin said. And they are nice if you play cqb places where theres a chance you can bang your head against ######. where i play theres a lot of trees and brances and i have found myself running into them alot when you're in a firefight.

Now i wear a skater helm i found in some shop. OD green and its comfy to wear. Looks like this but its another brand:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/...oductId=2478651

And yeah they really add alot of character to a loadout :)

I'm still a newbie but I fully appreciate the use of a good Mil style helmet.

First CQB game - we lost a guy over the side of a staircase and he started to slide down a long, narrow metal ramp. Good thing he was wearing a helmet at the time, otherwise he probs would have smacked his head open on the ###### lying around.

Same game, metal rails and pipes hanging down from above, I'm six foot five, I'm glad I was wearing my PASGT, saved me from many large bruises and cuts.

Again, same game, was glad I was wearing my helmet when our team made a full on rush at an enemy position. I dived down behind a large wooden piece of cover - I wanted to continue the assault but under cover, so I put my helmet to good use and hit the barricade with my shoulder/head and rammed it forward.

Basically - I understand if you don't want to wear a helmet for outdoor games, but for indoors and for around urban areas I will always be wearing a helmet, if not then it'll be strapped to the back of my vest.

I'd consider my brain to be far more important than my eyes - so I'll take the time and effort to protect my skull as well.

What Fin said. And they are nice if you play cqb places where theres a chance you can bang your head against ######. where i play theres a lot of trees and brances and i have found myself running into them alot when you're in a firefight.

Now i wear a skater helm i found in some shop. OD green and its comfy to wear. Looks like this but its another brand:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/...oductId=2478651

And yeah they really add alot of character to a loadout :)

i agree there, when i was at first and only urban i slipped and fell head first onto a concrete floor if i hadnt had a helmet on i would have certainly caused some serious damage, and it really does complete some loadouts

I personally like the helmets. As others have said, they do help protect against the gaming environment as well as painful head shots, but they aslo add the extra bit of realism. It makes you look more like a real soldier as opposed to a normal hat or boonie, which generally are not worn by the majority of soldiers. I have a PASGT plastic copy helmet, which weights almost nothing, and then an M1 helmet which is steel, but you don't really get tired while wearing it. The only problems I have noticed with helmets is that your head gets hot (also normal with regular hats thought) and you may not always notice hits on the helmet, especially if it is in an intense situation and you are focused on something else (but this is normal also with your gear you have on, i.e. you wouldn't necessarily notice a hit on your ammo pouches or CamelBak setup).

This is airsoft. Apart from goggles, you pretty much wear what you want to really. Unless idiocity spread thru our ranks and everyone started using Bioval BBBmax.

Having said that, this is one of the reasons why you MIGHT want to wear a helmet. Of course if you're like me and don't really care about getting such injuries, then yes, there's no reason to wear a helmet, although a beanie for some protection might be good.

headshotlol540.jpg

Friend of mine got shot point blank to the forehead during the game. The BB had actually ruptured a vein or something that his forehead and caused his forehead to swell tremendously, much larger even than the one in Punkypink's photo. We actually started saying that he had a boob growing out of his forehead. :) Anyways, after some time the swelling would not go down, and he had to get a surgeon to fix it up.

Mind that where we play 400fps with .25 BBs is the limit, and this guy was within the minimum engagement distance and should not have shot my friend.

Friend of mine got shot point blank to the forehead during the game. The BB had actually ruptured a vein or something that his forehead and caused his forehead to swell tremendously, much larger even than the one in Punkypink's photo. We actually started saying that he had a boob growing out of his forehead. :) Anyways, after some time the swelling would not go down, and he had to get a surgeon to fix it up.

Mind that where we play 400fps with .25 BBs is the limit, and this guy was within the minimum engagement distance and should not have shot my friend.

Sounds like your friend developed a hematoma (head bleeds alot, so bruises become a much bigger issue) and probably had to have it drained.

I find a hat or watch beenie do wonders to take the sting off head shots.

The only problem I have noticed with helmets is that if the bbs hit you just right, your ears start to have the sort of noise in them. I don't know it in English, sorry. It happened to me one game: I was looking cautiously over a barrier and got hit two or three times - once in the eye protection and once or twice in the helmet, after that my ears had the noise in them. That said, I have yet to see anyone play without anything covering their head. Those that do are either very brave, very stupid, or a bit of both. ;)

i have several helmets, and their mostly for impressions etc, rather than any practical skirmish reason.

I have Ssh40 and Ssh68, a PASGT replica and a MICH replica although im thinkin of selling the MICH. Personally I dont see all the fuss about different suspention systems, different chinstraps etc, I get by in airsoft with the most basic helmet possible, it might be weird, but comfort wise i prefer my Ssh40 with its basic "leather" and string suspension to my MICH with its foam padding.

i have several helmets, and their mostly for impressions etc, rather than any practical skirmish reason.

I have Ssh40 and Ssh68, a PASGT replica and a MICH replica although im thinkin of selling the MICH. Personally I dont see all the fuss about different suspention systems, different chinstraps etc, I get by in airsoft with the most basic helmet possible, it might be weird, but comfort wise i prefer my Ssh40 with its basic "leather" and string suspension to my MICH with its foam padding.

I agree. My PASGT and M1 use the net with string at the top type of system, and it works fine for me. I have yet to have my helmet fly off or something due to bad set-ups, etc.

The only problem I have noticed with helmets is that if the bbs hit you just right, your ears start to have the sort of noise in them. I don't know it in English, sorry. It happened to me one game: I was looking cautiously over a barrier and got hit two or three times - once in the eye protection and once or twice in the helmet, after that my ears had the noise in them. That said, I have yet to see anyone play without anything covering their head. Those that do are either very brave, very stupid, or a bit of both. ;)

Definately a bit of both :P

the chinstrap that came with my MICH was trash. The straps were scraping and pulling my ears and it used brass lift-the-dot for the chin cup. Replica PASGTs (The one I used at least) was smaller than the real one and made my head look huge, since then I bought a real one. (Costs a little more than a replica)

I swear by my MICH (And IBH I guess....)

For ages I avoided lids, just wearing a boonie like everyone else, until I got into the whole impression thing, and to be honest I don't think I'd play without one.

I started out with the MICH 2000 and like everyone else couldn't get on with the notoriously bad chinstraps... but i dealt with it becuase I couldn't justify buying a new one. Then I finally moved on to the 2002... my favourite lid, a decent compromise between field of vision and comms, as my TASC headset sits under it much better that the 2000.

I did however use my tactical (bad) textiles skills and managed to re stitch the whole chinstrap properly without that mahoosive rivet and leather chincup, and re stitched it at an angle that it would sit on my chin properly.

The IBH on the other hand, I've always been a fan of, considering it was designed in the 90's before the MICH range it looks so futuristic, and the comms cut outs are awesome. And as good or as bad the suspension was, being of the orient it would not fit on my damned chin properly, as I'm sure they are designed for the caucasian in mind.

That and the lip of any lid will give a much better seal around my M-Frames/Radars/Gascans, which as awesome as they are at what they do, I always feel much better with the lip coming over the top of the glasses to create more of a seal.

So why wear a helmet:

a. They look awesome - and necessary for some impressions

b. They do provide protection from knocks and bumps you would expect from a skirmish, repro or not

c. They look awesome on your shelf when covered in both ridiculous and necessary accesories

d. What else would you carry your nightvision on :P

PASGT Helmet saved me from smashing my skull in on some solid scenery at one place I went. Courage under fire and all that, legging it forward firing back but didn't notice that rather large metal thing in front of me despite having played there a few times. It literally took me off my feet and I pretty much cartwheeled in the air before landing giggling like a schoolgirl. The helmet had a chunk out of it and I got mild whiplash but that is much better than blood everywhere and possibly fracturing my skull which would have been the alternative if not wearing the helmet.

a. They look awesome - and necessary for some impressions

b. They do provide protection from knocks and bumps you would expect from a skirmish, repro or not

c. They look awesome on your shelf when covered in both ridiculous and necessary accesories

d. What else would you carry your nightvision on :P

In a pouch?

You look cool.

I find it usable because it helps keeping my goggles in a good position. My MICH can move a bit due to impropper pads <_< but in a game, I don't find it disturbing, I just don't mind. Too caught up in the moment, I guess.

It acts as protection, feels cool, and looks cool.

I didnt think i would be needing a helmet, so at an op, all i had on my head were goggles. In the middle of the game, i was facing down, and got peppered on the head with a 400 fps AK. i dont know how far away the guy was, but IT HURT. so i picked up a MICH in the for sale thread :)

As in, you were wearing the goggles over your eyes, or you had them up on your head? I found that having a pair of x800s sitting on my forehead actually is ample protection against BB hits in woodland games, not that I ever minde BB hits much even those from 2 ft away :P (me am toopid u see)

As in, you were wearing the goggles over your eyes, or you had them up on your head? I found that having a pair of x800s sitting on my forehead actually is ample protection against BB hits in woodland games, not that I ever minde BB hits much even those from 2 ft away :P (me am toopid u see)

Oh, over the eyes of course. the refs yell at you if you take your goggles off.

Archived