The desert squaddy look

Lance Jackass

Okay im looking at getting a Gulf war style load out. Since most games in the UK dont take part in the desert though ive made up a mixed colour scheme which should look allright and be authentic.

So what do you think of:

95 ripstop jacket DPM (green)

Desert cammo shirt and trousers

OG t-shirt

Black boots

Possibly a desert cam body armour cover

95 pattern webbing

Desert cr@p hat

WOuld that be fairly authentic? Because ive noticed that when cammo is mixed the troop normally wear the desert cam trousers with a green jacket.

cheers

LJ

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay im looking at getting a Gulf war style load out. Since most games in the UK dont take part in the desert though ive made up a mixed colour scheme which should look allright and be authentic.

So what do you think of:

95 ripstop jacket DPM (green)

Desert cammo shirt and trousers

OG t-shirt

Black boots

Possibly a desert cam body armour cover

95 pattern webbing

Desert cr@p hat

WOuld that be fairly authentic? Because ive noticed that when cammo is mixed the troop normally wear the desert cam trousers with a green jacket.

cheers

LJ

Yep it sounds OK to meI like the desert with Green DPM look....

What reg are you going for?

• 2 weeks later...

If I was going to get desert gear right now (and my finger has hovered over the 'Checkout' button many a time with that in mind), I'd go for:desert trousers, desert jacket (shirt), desert hat, temperate body armour and temperate PLCE (in my case, OD belt kit).

I'd probably get desert assault boots as well, but that's just because I like 'em :P I already wear a pair of buff workboots out & about anyways (wearing them in that pic up there).

Just as a slight aside I've heard that the combination of temperate DPM (say smock or jacket) with desert dpm trousers has *supposedly* been found to work slightly better in terms of concealment/blending in than just plain desert worn all over..

Dunno if it's true or not but like I said, I heard it (from a friend of a friend who has a friend who's a brother of a friend of a friend's friend) :D worked quite well in scrubby desert particularly (needless to say!)

I've seen people wearing desert/temperate mix at skirmishes and it looked pretty good - they certainly didn't 'day-glow' in the woods..

Cheers

F

PS I was having a discussion with some guys a while back about kit shortages and the British Army.. As above, probably caused by kit shortage, it's proved to be a lucky result that it (allegedly) works well but we did speculate whether the lack of kit and the need therefore to A. Be tougher B. Improvise is one (not all but part) of the secrets which makes the Brits probably (no offence to anyone else) man-per-man the best armed forces in the world? When you think about British infantry stealing kit off dead French soldiers during the Napoleonic period because it was better you realise what a long, 'proud' history the Brits have of poor supply/ingenious scrounging..

But, I digress (hugely)... :D

The 50/50 DPM is great. Just going into detail can i get some explanation of why and when its used (although i guess its normally used in scrub or savannah type environments i guess...or if deserts havent been issued totally yet lol)

On another note as a desert thing has anyone ever noticed that in the Early 90s you seemed to occasionally be able to see british troops with L85s that had desert colour handguards but now you never seem to see them?

Archived