I just got a 'bankdraft' cheque for 2000 pounds

H.U.N.K

As is the title, I just recieved a cheque from MBNA for 2000 pounds, emphasis on BANK DRAFT. What is this, some sort of con? If it it, its disgusting, they've just sent out a handwritten letter to this address, for me, with a printed cheque for 2000 pounds, no doubt for suckers to cash it in to THEIR bank only to find they OWE MBNA that money back...

Anyone got anything on this?

MYTH BUSTED.

Cheque was for an amplifer I was selling through internet. Buyer was a scammer who 'wanted to ship it abroad' and give me excess to pay for shipping.

If I was silly enough to cash it in I would have been 2 grand less well off and ampless. I emailed him telling him he was a piece of *suitcase* and I am aware of what he was doing.

Only thing I'm considering now is cashing in his cheque knowing that no shipment will come... Hmmmm.. ;)

I doubt I can though, he could reverse the roles and call me a con-artist when the 2 grand leaves his account and his scam never worked. I'll just destroy it.

As is the title, I just recieved a cheque from MBNA for 2000 pounds, emphasis on BANK DRAFT. What is this, some sort of con? If it it, its disgusting, they've just sent out a handwritten letter to this address, for me, with a printed cheque for 2000 pounds, no doubt for suckers to cash it in to THEIR bank only to find they OWE MBNA that money back...

Anyone got anything on this?

Who sent you this cheque? Sounds like it was MBNA from what you're saying. Bankers drafts are pre-cleared funds in the form of a cheque. Should be legit, unless it's from somewhere like Nigeria LOL

The ones the scammers send you are fakes. They look the part, and usually fool the bank. The bank gives you the cash, then the scammer asks you to refund it because their mother/cat/car died. After a few days, the bank find out it's a fake and want the money back from you, but you've already sent it back to the sender via Western Union. He has £2000, you have -£2000. Trust me.

The ones the scammers send you are fakes. They look the part, and usually fool the bank. The bank gives you the cash, then the scammer asks you to refund it because their mother/cat/car died. After a few days, the bank find out it's a fake and want the money back from you, but you've already sent it back to the sender via Western Union. He has £2000, you have -£2000. Trust me.

EXACTLY what he is trying to do.

And I am so glad I didn't just blindly cash it in like a doofus.

I don't see where the problem is. With a bankers draft the money should move into your account straight away. If they ask for a refund then no problem as the money is already in your account. If you sold through e-bay just tell them no, they entered into a contract to pay that amount of whatever you're selling and you have no legal obligation to refund them (unless the item isn't as described).

If you suspect it of being a fake then just get the bank to take a better look at it first and determine the truth before any money is moved around. Simple.

Read this bit again:

Your typical bank staff can't tell the good fakes, so they cash it for you. When it is found to be a fake (usually around 7 working days, when the supposed issuing bank receive it) your bank will want the cash back from you, because you are the one who's cashed a forgery.

Archived