A golden AK

Liquid_snake

Hey guys,

Well Ive had an idea to make my AKS74U gold, but I havnt a clue how to make it "shiny" kinda gold. Ive seen a few products around that supposedly give a shiny aftercoat but Im not certain on them as really Im no painter. I would be painting a metal surface (Im assumign that makes any difference)

Thanks for reading, and all help appreciated!

Its a CYMA AKS74U, the full wood and metal version. I was thinking fo just having it stripped down and painting it, then using some kind of...well Im not sure what to make it shiny and rebuild, electroplating-isnt that what cars get? (ie expensive?)

edit: I believe its made from stamped steel

paint is never that good .Guild is good, but you'll need a couple of books (£10 a book) to cover it and you may want a couple of layers. It'll probably cost about £60 in the end. You may want to get a quote from here, http://www.avonelectroplating.co.uk/ . The finish will be alot better,and tougher.

I'd get a full steel AK and then electroplate it with gold. I don't really know anything about gold leaf, but to me it seems that it wouldn't stay on something that sees as much use as an airsoft gun, atleast not for long. I'd propably try to do the plating myself, but that's just me. Depends on whether there are multiple diffrent baths involved, like in chrome plating.

even if your cyma has a steel reciever i'm pretty sure most of the front end is still pot metal. try to stick a magnet to every part of the gun, that'll confirm for you :)

electroplating would certainly be the best looking and hardiest finish though. it'd be well worth getting an estimate IMO

electro plated gold isn't all that hard wearing material. Its expensive esp when you add the polishing costs to get the metal up to snuff for applying it, and it wears like no tomorrow compared to chrome (or even brass or copper) plating.

In the mid 80s I did one of my custom scooters with gold rather than chrome plate and was worst idea I ever had. Took longer in terms of wages to pay for it than it actually lasted on the bike. Only lads who ever got on well with it were the ones who brought their bikes to shows in a van.

If you've got plenty of cash to drop on it and plan to hang it on the wall once its done then yeh consider it, otherwise you might want to look at some sort of modern spray on spectrachrome/fantachrome type finish (Im sure the tinted versions will have a gold lookalike in the range) Still not much more durable but a fair bit cheaper to get applied. Only issue with them is they could need a good few layers of build up that might not do the finer details much favours

Electroplating would definitely be the best, sometime I send in random coins to be electroplated so any metal could be electroplated. But don't necessarily go for the gold(no pun intended), but there are colors of chrome that look like gold and still retain a good finish albeit the gold-chrome is a bit darker in color.

Archived