Learning how to machine

tosuzu

I've always found that the best way to learn is to just do it.

Practice/experiment with offcuts and scrap pieces before you attempt to make anything final.

Certain things you'll need to read up on, like cutting angles and cutting speeds for various materials, and getting to know what tooling to use for which application, but in the end, there's nothing like actually getting on with it for learning.

There are plenty of guides around on the web, for general machining, and many helpful people on forums just like this one.

It can be a bit daunting when you see just how many different types of tools there are, and the many variations of similar tools.

Just read up as much as you can beforehand, and avoid the 'wot am bestest cutter' type questions if you do join a machining forum ;) .

ummm i wouldnt advise you to just get the lathe and start practicing without knowing what to do as you will more than liking break the cutting tool. which is a pain in the *albatross* to replace, just go onto youtube or look on google would probably be your best bet.

mick

I've been taught the lathe and mill before. I'd say it helps to be taught the 1st time wot to do, and then its a matter of practice. I reckon the teaching is important because there are quite a bit of safety "dos and don'ts" to be aware of when using the mill or lathe. Also, some things kinda can't be learnt off a video or a book, so best see if u can find an old hand at the lathe somewhere to give u a couple of lessons 1st.

If you have friends or family that have machining skills, ask them for advice and or materials. My dad is a former machinist, and he gave me some of his old machining text books. Here are some safety pointers off my head, but as a disclaimer, I never machined anything in my life yet and I am not responsible if you still hurt yourself.

1. Don't were any loose clothing that can be caught by the machine, secure all long hair, don't wear ties, long sleeves, etc.

2. Have a first aid kit, a phone, and a fire extinguisher handy in case of accident

3. Eye protection is a must

4. Never gather metal shavings with your hand or a vacuum, use a brush and dust pan. Metal shavings can cut you and can catch fire if exposed to heat *depending on what alloy, but best to play it safe*

5. Never drop any measuring tool, especially calipers because they will give you an inaccurate reading

6. Never keep sharp objects in your pockets. *referring to the compass style tool, forgot whats it called*

7. Do not operate machinery when drowsy, using medications, under the influence of alcohol, etc

That's all I could think off the top of my head. Good luck.

Check your local colleges to see if they offer courses in CNC. Having a certification will help you get a job in the reemerging manufacturing industry. I learned welding and metal fabrication in the late 80's and 90's. Then attended local smithing classes and learned from a bunch of old tymers smithing metal.

///ed///

I do hobby milling occasionally. There are some sites that help you to calculate RPM based on material, end-mill diameter etc. However I was unable to find the proper RPM calculation method. 2 mm deep cut on High carbon steel, with a 10mm diameter HSS endmill gives me 2500 RPM. (20 SFM * 3,82)/(10mm/328mm/foot). I think it should be around 600-800 RPM, but I don't know for sure. The vibration is normal and there is minimal "whining" at that speed. When I crank it up to 2000 the table starts to move around and the sound is just unbearable.

Actually I would appriciate a little help there ;).

- Use some type of special milling/drilling lubricant. Less noise, higher RPM and higher cutter life.

- Lock any axis you don't move during the next milling process. You need to lock the Z axis almost all the time.

- Get a decent vice. It is very important to get a very firm grip. Cheap "machine vices" are ######. One broke the minute I bolted it to the cross table.

- Measure twice ;)

I remember learning in school.

I wouldn't advise messing with the machine. If it looks expensive, it probably is, so if you break it...

I'd look for someone to teach you the basics, be it your father, nextdoor neighbour, guy across the street, or whatever.

Ben.

If you have friends or family that have machining skills, ask them for advice and or materials. My dad is a former machinist, and he gave me some of his old machining text books. Here are some safety pointers off my head, but as a disclaimer, I never machined anything in my life yet and I am not responsible if you still hurt yourself.

1. Don't were any loose clothing that can be caught by the machine, secure all long hair, don't wear ties, long sleeves, etc.

2. Have a first aid kit, a phone, and a fire extinguisher handy in case of accident

3. Eye protection is a must

4. Never gather metal shavings with your hand or a vacuum, use a brush and dust pan. Metal shavings can cut you and can catch fire if exposed to heat *depending on what alloy, but best to play it safe*

5. Never drop any measuring tool, especially calipers because they will give you an inaccurate reading

6. Never keep sharp objects in your pockets. *referring to the compass style tool, forgot whats it called*

7. Do not operate machinery when drowsy, using medications, under the influence of alcohol, etc

That's all I could think off the top of my head. Good luck.

To add to these

NEVER leave a chuck key in a drill or lathe. They can fly a considerable distance if you turn the machine on - if you aren't in the way......

Always hold the part to be drilled in a vice, never the hand.

If you are changing from drilling/machining aluminium to machining/drilling ferrous metal, ALWAYS sweep up first. Aluminium dust and ferrous dust makes thermite. Thermite can easily burn through steel plate.

Sorry Tom, its powdered Aluminium and powdered Iron Oxide that make thermite, not just aluminium and iron. Simple REDOX reaction. (sorry, 'tis my line of work and i'm a bit retentive about such things lol)

**edit**

The "Workshop Practice" series of books - you can find them on Amazon - are quite useful.

Oh yeah, just remembered something else. Get on first name terms with your local scrapyard. My one does industrial scrap as well as cars and has been a very good source for cheap lumps of aluminium and steel for quick 'n dirty projects that don't require materials with a known specification. And before anyone asks, no, I wont tell 'em the yard I use lol

MIT has a series on machining.

http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/24-how-to/vid...-machine-shop-1

It should get you started.

As I'm sure other people have said, it will take alot of practice. But more importanty. Motivation.

I have a garage full of tools and haven't make near the amount of stuff that I want to.

Make sure that you do your homework prior to spending any money. Be sure to haunt the various machining forums out there.

-Deviant

Sorry Tom, its powdered Aluminium and powdered Iron Oxide that make thermite, not just aluminium and iron. Simple REDOX reaction. (sorry, 'tis my line of work and i'm a bit retentive about such things lol)

Doh! Yes, quite right. I should have said if you use a linisher to finish off these metals. A friend warned me about this when he managed to burn a hole through his work bench........ :P

In America it may be easier to get hold of ' The Home Machinist' similar to 'Model Engineer' in the UK, but written from the American point of view (good old Imperial measurements :D ) and lists of suppliers.

• 1 month later...

as a professional engineer and machinist i would seriously advise taking some courses before attempting

to use workshop machinery, especially a lathe. breaking cutting tools and drills is one thing, tearing off your arm

because you didnt follow saftey precautions is something noone wants to happen.

Archived