still looking for the right sniper rifle

loki7491

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can hit an ear????????????

& folk think I'm good. :)

I'd rather go for center of mass, less chance of going wide, high or low. ;)

Unless someone has really peed me off, then & only then, no, I can't tell ya, not on the open web.

But I tell ya this, at 50m & 500fps, they fall to the ground every time. & it ain't the spuds. :blink:

Greg.

Nipple?

Hitting an ear is fair game with a VSR (or it was with mine at 50m) but I couldn't guarantee to hit a nipple I couldn't even see :)

/offtopic

Has anyone suggested the trusted and tried method of actually borrowing one of each type of rifle for a couple of games? Thats got to be about the cheapest and more reliable method of actually finding out what gun suits your needs....

I'd think more than twice if a n00b who I had never met before, came up to me and asked to borrow a highly upgraded/expensive sniper rifle.

Ben.

So would I - it is however an option once you get to know people which was the position I assumed he was in :)

Heck, even a few shots in the field before the start of the game could be enlightening if he's really not sure....

Nipple?

Not saying.

The results are so painfully devastating, I wouldn't like to be held accountable for putting it on an open forum. :waggle:

I discovered it by accident & have chosen to use it just once, to a really annoying blatant cheating *beep*.

On both occasions the players were floored for over a minute. Although they shortly recovered, it is quite frightening to see.

I'm a bit of a crash test dummy & would never do anything to a fellow softer that I have not experienced myself. So, after the first, 'accidental', shot, I got a trusty friend to 'do it' to me. I was prepared for it, so didn't end up on the deck, but I tell ya,,,,, it was a shocker. :wide-eyed:

Greg.

Heheheh Trasher, I'm just interested to see how fast a 500 FPS VSR can cycle.

OK, I just tested this very useless and uncool thing for you.

This is a ~550fps rifle with the M40A3 stock.

3 shots under 5 seconds without really trying. From the shoulder.

I can't remember a single engagement after ~3yrs of sniping, after shooting hundreds of people, where I had to fire that fast.

You can't miss fast enough to hit the target. ;)

I can't remember a single engagement after ~3yrs of sniping, after shooting hundreds of people, where I had to fire that fast.

I can. If you are on the move, rather than camping, it happens all the time.

Best example I can give you recently was 9 players who were kind of hiding behind a bush at 50m, just out of 328fps aeg range. This had caused a bit of a stale mate as neither team could advance down this open road without coming into range & being instantly hit.

So, up I wheel & took out 8 of the nine in as many seconds. They were all just kind of milling about & as they realized what was happening, one of them managed to do a runner.

Another, aforementioned classic is staking out a bend in a road at about 50 or 60m. You can often catch entire squads out, by waiting for them to all come into view & then work from the back.

In both cases, speed & target selection is essential. Take out the smart looking ones & loaners first. Never the point man (unless you can get him on the goggles :D . It's nerve racking, but pays off. Sometimes I leave it so close that the spotter/protection team have to 'do' the closest guys as they are within M.E.D.

Often the coms conversation are fun '2 coming into view, take 'em', 'no, wait'. '4 more now, do some thing', not yet, wait'. 'Fugs-ache mate, do it will ya', 'hold it, hold it, I'm going to go left to right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now!' :D

Greg.

I emptied a mag from my VSR in under 30 seconds at an urban site a couple of years back and wheeled half the enemy team (silly, silly stacked up individuals) off to the deadzone.....but its very, very uncommon for me to have to even consider that sort of shooting and these days I prefer an AEG for Urban......

Which goes back to the OP really needing to decide what suits him the most rather than our collective epeen flexing :)

I can. If you are on the move, rather than camping, it happens all the time.

Well, I'm "on the move" type, but usually I take out large, clueless crowds with the Mk23... Or shoot a couple guys with the rifle, then just sit back and watch the show. :D Most players tend to freeze under sniper fire, or they try to "outstalk" the sniper, so I have plenty of time to shoot stationary or slow moving targets.

And sometimes tieing up whole squads for long periods (I remember 2-3 hours in one case) is better than sending 'em all back to respawn.

Also, my A.I.C.S. uses a VSR HOP and barrel, so I'm only going to miss as much as you ;)

"Take out the smart-looking ones and the loners first" is a tactic I also use.

I tend to spend half the time roaming around on the flanks, until I find a good position, and then I'll camp it.

I think it differs, because Trasher, I'm not sure what kind of game you play normally. At my regular, sometimes in the the morning we'll have a long 2 or 3 hours multi-objective, scenario-based game, that uses all of the site. That's the time you can camp, and pick you shots.

Then in the afternoon, we sometimes do fast, timed-respawn, rolling assault games, which is where you need to be moving lots, and lots of targets present themselves in a short space of time.

That's where the ammo starts to get used a lot.

Ben.

OK my 2pennies worth, ICS m16, guarder improved hop rubber, Bigout H nub, madbull black python innerbarrel, a spare upper gearbox for sites with lower fps limits. one of these > http://unconventional-airsoft.com/store/ to round it off.

DMR/sniping setup right there.

could in theory be done under £425

Then in the afternoon, we sometimes do fast, timed-respawn, rolling assault games, which is where you need to be moving lots, and lots of targets present themselves in a short space of time.

That's where the ammo starts to get used a lot.

My regular does that kinda game a fair bit too. I remember one where me and another 2 snipers were basically knelt behind a fallen log in pretty much full view putting down shot after shot at the assaulting team. Was more like Roarke's Drift than an airsoft game.

Fun though. ;)

OK my 2pennies worth, ICS m16, guarder improved hop rubber, Bigout H nub, madbull black python innerbarrel, a spare upper gearbox for sites with lower fps limits. one of these > http://unconventional-airsoft.com/store/ to round it off.

This would be my favoured suggestion - its a good one :)

1, Most players tend to freeze under sniper fire,

2, or they try to "outstalk" the sniper,

3, And sometimes tieing up whole squads for long periods (I remember 2-3 hours in one case) is better than sending 'em all back to respawn.

1, Yeah, now you say it, I have to agree. I take back what I said about not shooting the point man. Often, I find that if he falls to covert fire, the rest do freeze up instead of diving for cover. EAGs cause 'em to scatter, but the anonymous hit causes a kind of frozen curiosity as they try to figure out which way to run.

2, Yeah :D , seen that one too. Done it too :rolleyes: . A thankless task.

3, Now, I don't do that but must agree it's a good tactical move. I might try it next time I'm out. Very cunning. ;)

Greg.

Nice idea. Going electro is a good starting point for a budding sniper. Having a semi is easier than having to cock manually.......oo-er.

Site limits are usually a little lower for semi only aegs. Eg: GroundZero is 500fps for bolties & 425 for semis, so less range, same minimum engagement distance.

Check your site for fps limits.

A cheaper option is a CA M14+spring. Upping the trigger response will involve re-wiring with 16swg, including a fet & deans connectors. Possibly go lipo (not necessary as the stock will house a large conventional battery). Perhaps a More powerful motor if you are going over a 120 spring or about 420fps. Possibly as little as £300 including Madbull tight bore. The stock internals will be fine all the way to 500fps but you may choose to replace them with nicer bits. Unlike the ICS, you won't be able to change the spring in less than a minute. More like 15 but hey, you get a cheaper, cooler looking gun & a much better hop. (Aug style).

Greg.

I think it differs, because Trasher, I'm not sure what kind of game you play normally. At my regular, sometimes in the the morning we'll have a long 2 or 3 hours multi-objective, scenario-based game,

2-3 hours is not a game, it's speedsofting! :P

We use large sites (=whole military compounds) even for urban/CQB and very large areas for woodland.

Minimum duration for games is around 5-6 hours (with no pause/lunchbreak or whatever) up to multi-day events.

It just means that you can utilise more disparate tactics than camping one spot or getting half-way through a stalk and having the game end - it actually allows you to set up OP's, relay information, and perform some of the other tasks that should be part of the role beyond chucking BB's.

I've always preferred Milsim games because I hate hi-caps and those who use them and at that point Airsoft stops being speedball - it actually requires people to consider the game rather than running from A to B hosing indescriminately.

I use hi-caps in my AEG's, retard.

Also, anyone who uses a VSR is also using hi-caps, as even the standard mags hold 30 or so rounds ;)

Also, midcap and locap users are just as bad - only they have to go back to the regen once they've sprayed all their ammo, because they need a speedloader to fill all their mags lol

Ben.

Retard? Oh, a big man on the internet insulted me - I'm so broken up.

I don't actually and never did load VSR mags (For which there are 55 round hi-caps if you want to split hairs) or other springer mags with a full compliment of BB's and I use PSG-1 mags in my MSG. Feel free to try and defend the use of Hi-caps all you wish but if your initial move is to insult someone who differs from your point of view I don't actually care much about your opinion - that said I'll just address your last point as you think its so pertinent.

Of course Lo-cap and Mid-cap users have to reload, but they don't spray 500 rounds into the scenery for every mag spent because they're either inept marksmen or fail at stalking.

Edit:

None of this is relevant to the OP so apologies for the Offtopic. People wishing to continue to insult me can feel free to do so via PM.

Archived