still looking for the right sniper rifle

loki7491

hi guys and gals.....

i need to draw on your combined experience.

a while back i was looking to lay my hands on a sniper rifle and was steered away from the PSG1, cos although it looks good, that is pretty much all it has.

after some consideration and thinking sensibly, i have decided to go with a M4 mag compatible gun, as all my other AEG's are variants there of.

i was thinking along the lines of a SR25 type of gun - semi auto only, 500fps.....

have any of you guys had any experience with these? are they available with M4 compatible mags? (i have only seen 7.62 variants) have you ever converted an M4 for use........

or am i barking up the wrong tree, as you are all purists and go for bolt action?

any info will be greatly appreciated

billy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

firstly you need to check your site will allow you to use a 500fps aeg,alot only allow 450 and some only allow guns which are made semi out out the factory(g&g sr25,star slr,psg1).

if your realy wanting to take up sniping i suggest getting a boltactions as its going to preform better,and be less hassel(alot easyer to fix if something breaks,which rairly happens anyway)

if your set on an aeg,then its all down to presonal preference which model/type of gun you choose,the majority would go for an m14 or sr25,but i know afew people on here have gone with a m4.

rsm seems to be the man in the know about m4 snipers and unpeacekeeper seems to know alot about m14 snipers/dmrs, so your probably best trying to contact them.

theres also a thread in here(right under this one) regarding aeg snipers http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...161678&st=0 and im sure there are many more

Exception being ICS Armalite hop units, which are rotary drum types. The hop unit is probably the most important factor, if its not pressure relay (M14) or rotary drum (G3, G36, ICS M4/M16, AUG...P90 even) then you're not doing yourself any favours.

AB mosfet is a must (with the amount of current you'll be sending round the gun), precocking sector gears will eliminate trigger lag (and aid FPS consistency) but you need a gun with a spring release to ease the spring at the end of play.

After that other important factors are solid support of the barrel to reduce wobble. When you upgrade a normal AEG to give consistent levels of performance you have to put in about 120% more effort to get the best possible out of an AEG sniper as they are inherently more difficult to get to perform at sniper levels well. The only exception to this being the G&G M14 Veteran which is generally set to go out of the box from a technical stand point, any other gun out there will require some pretty diligent work.

so all in all,

i need to stop being a tight *albatross* and accept the fact i need something that will require bespoke mags!!

okay then, aeg's on the shelf - lets talk spring vs gas..... i know the obvious, gas ###### in cold, spring harder to cock, could run out of gas - never run out of spring.....

is there a fantastic difference in muzzle velocity?

is the accuracy better on one than the other?

is one more quite, therefore more stealthy than the other?

(i do lots of shooting - rabbits, game etc and even suppressed air rifles startle other animals and give the game away - so i spend 20 minutes in between kills twiddling my thumbs - not so much with full bore, as there is a greater engagement range. air rifles to rabbit engagement is of similar distances to airsoft typical engagement distances, hence the question)

obviously i am talking "out of the box" as i have no doubt that there are modded guns out there that are the exception to any rule of thumb.

cheers

Spring/Gas FPS difference is pretty much non-existant within UK limts, that is both can easily acehive 500-550fps. The biggest difference however is consistency (you will hear me say this a lot in my posts). Spring cocking > All for FPS consistency (ammo inconsistency notwithstanding)

FPS consistency directly affects accuracy, so spring is better.

Both gas and spring set ups can be made to be inaudible downrange...stock its hard to judge, my tanaka is pretty quiet on green gas outside bar the muzzle 'crack' but a stock TM G-spec I imagine would be even quieter, stick a 150 spring in it however and it'll probably be as loud as the stock Tanaka.

firstly you need to check your site will allow you to use a 500fps aeg,alot only allow 450 and some only allow guns which are made semi out out the factory(g&g sr25,star slr,psg1).

Be sure to check that your local site has any specific rules for single-shot AEG's at all. My local site treats single-shot AEG's in the exact same way as every other AEG on the field - 350fps maximum.

checked site rules today - the one i play at mainly is 380fps, with the other two being 450 and 500fps

that in mind, i am not gonna build a bespoke gun for an extra 30fps, nor am i gonna faff about getting different tuning kits depending on the site i am playing at......

..... so it looks like i am gonna continue with the whole assault type thing.

thanks for your input guys

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if you had a regulated gas rifle, you could tune as needed.

Spring isn't always more consistent than gas. There are some guys that are handy with a regulator that can get the deviation down really low... Not only that, but a gas rifle creates a LOT less vibration for lack of piston slam.

1, Spring isn't always more consistent than gas. There are some guys that are handy with a regulator that can get the deviation down really low...

2, Not only that, but a gas rifle creates a LOT less vibration for lack of piston slam.

1, If you put the very best gas system up against a really rubish springer.

2, This is true, at higher fps. Around 500fps, even with an air break & sorbo pad, the piston slam is quite noticable. However, it is only noticable by the firer, as it is right next to the ear. Not the target, probabaly a minimum of 30m away.

Greg.

I wasnt aware that any sites in the uk allow 500fps aegs, isnt that a US thing?

There are a couple that allow 500fps SA AEG's but they are few and far between as Mr Bitchtits said.

FWIW one Spring sniper rifle with a couple of spare springs allows you to play at any site, relatively inexpensively but by the same token if every gun on the field is running at 350fps your one advantage is fieldcraft - it might just be easier to stick with one decent AEG and still have the ability to play on every site without issue but the added option of full auto.

It's true, Tanaka's can be just as consistent as VSR's, which is the one thing the springer actually has over the gas rifle... But Greg is never going to accept that :P

Ben.

They can, just not as standard which I think was where the confusion arose. Install an HPA rig and with a decent hop it doesn't get much better imo :)

Well, if you had a regulated gas rifle, you could tune as needed.

Spring isn't always more consistent than gas. There are some guys that are handy with a regulator that can get the deviation down really low... Not only that, but a gas rifle creates a LOT less vibration for lack of piston slam.

I'd like to point out I was putting my post together with the idea of spring being inherently more consistent that gas, if you didn't have access to a Coldshot or similar you've got more of an uphill struggle to acheive consistency comparable to a spring sniper.

As to vibrations, true, but as has been mentioned, air brake/sorbo pads and barrel spacers (which tanakas don't seem to have standard) mitigate that problem.

However, its somewhat swings and roundabouts at the end of the day because while the VSR is the more accessible platform to game with and upgrade there are people who have been using Tanakas without regulators quite happily. Think someone on here once said that if you took a gas and a spring gun onto a range with controlled conditions then you'll see all the inconsistencies of gas in terms of grouping, go out into a game though and the technical differences become a little less apparent provided its not a cold day and the hops are bedded in.

Yes, a Tanaka is going to take more money initially, but I found that with my VSR and my Tanaka... They both cost a boatload. But when you get a KA hop up, bucking and PDI 6.05 barrel all for about $120 like me, things don't seem so bad :). I actually traded my old g-spec for a m24... best decision I ever made. Still got another VSR hanging around, though.

In the end, the OP probably won't listen to any of this, buy his own gun and make his own mistakes...

It is all about the pros and cons. Whatever works for you.

Yeah, just buy whichever one you like most.

I am working on getting a sniper of each kind, AEG, Spring, and Gas.

Ben.

:D

Too right. I have an AEG and Spring at the moment but I've given up on gas simply because I don't shoot enough to make it worthwhile. I must admit I've owned more AEG-conversions than anything else because I do feel that I hardly loose out in accuracy but the rapid follow-up and fast reload outweigh other considerations at most skirmish ranges - not to mention you can silence them incredibly well if you make the effort so there's no real reason not to use them.

Of course, none of this is helping the OP make his mind up ^^

I have two Tanaka's (an A.I.C.S., which was my first ever sniper, and an M40 U.S.M.C.). My AEG sniper will be based off a M16 Vietnam (Going to look like that one out of Unreal Tournament). I'm getting a VSR GSpec as soon as my UKARA is sorted.

Ben.

Indeed. Gaming is also where you see the shortfalls of a spring system. Quick follow up shots anyone?

Ben.

How quick are we talking here? I consider myself pretty quick with my VSR, but that's based on never having used or even seen a gas boltie. (My usual site does not allow gas rifles of any kind.)

Archived