Overwatch Standard Issue AR2 Pulse Rifle

Maekl

I've dreamed about making an airsoft AR2 replica quite a long now. I dont have much tools or skills to make anything like Dobey or Killbucket, but with some time and creativity I think I could make a convincing replica of the AR2. ^_^

I found this really detailed picture of the AR2, which really got me inspired.

Overwatch_Pulse_Rifle_Textured_by_SgtHK.jpg

The pistolgrip looks like a combination of ump and m4 pistolgrip, so I think the best base for this project would be the DE m89 aka the ump. I can get those really cheap so that will surely be my choice. The m4 is out of question because of the ver2 gearbox. : D I've got enough of those...

I'm not making any detailed plans for this, I wouldnt have the patience to follow them anyway. I will just design and figure out everything while making it. = D

If I some day decide to start this project, the basic build materials I have thought of are 1,5mm aluminium sheet and anything I happen to find from a hardware store. Right now I dont have the money to start this project, but in few months I have. : )

So,

Comments and ideas are welcomed ! :rolleyes:

Back when Episode 2 came out I was wondering how to do this. You can't, short and simple. If you watch in game, there are shells in the box that get slammed into the barrel. How to fix that? Just ignore game accuracy, and get it "More or less" the AR2.

I left this post for a few hours, and forgot what I was typing. I'll collect my thoughts and try again later.

Here is how I would do it:

mp5a3n.jpg

1. Start with MP5, what is black/grey stays the same.

2. (Red) Build a box around the front of the reciever

3. (Green) Build another box infront of the first one

4. (Yellow) add details

5. (Teal) Add Stock

6. (Blue) Have the gun feed with standard MP5k magazines and extend the magazine catch so it sticks out below the second box.

5. The rest is pretty striaght forward

Dont be afraid to try working in plastic either. I have seen some wonderful customs made from plastic, all you need is a dremel and some glue to get started, and they can be very strong if the correct glue is used.

It seems pretty obvious to me that the pistol grip is straight off an M16 and the receiver is much the same shape too.

Biggest problem is that there's nothing where the mag should go in.

I guess you'd need to run a spring-tube up to the hop-up and feed it like an M60 or M249.

You could build a hicap into the guns magazine and turn it into an electric boxmag to feed BBs.

The main thing, to me, is that there's just too much "junk" on this to make it viable.

You could build it by gluing plasticard all over the place and using heaps of modelling putty. The problem with that would be trying to pull it to bits to fit a new hop-up rubber or replace the trigger contacts.

The real challenge would be to build it in such a way that it was solid enough to skirmish and could be field-stripped pretty easily for maintenance.

Thanks for the ideas ! : )

I dont have the tools to bend plastic so I think aluminium is easier to work with. Or maybe in some parts where bending isnt needed, dunno yet.

Im surely going to use the ump as a base and keep the field strip design of it. So If some internals need to be changed, just by removing one bodypin the lower receiver comes out, as well as the inner barrel (if i keep it under 280mm). So not a real challenge there : D And make the rest look as much as I can like in that picture.

I have a dremel with various bits and a bending axel so I can make some detail work too.

Yeah I cant make it to feed like in the original ar2. Right now im thinking of modding a m14 highcap inside the ammobox you can see in the picture, and make a long spring tube from there, And just make some dummy rounds out of something. I dont want to use normal aeg mags because they just wouldnt look right.

• 4 weeks later...

pulseriflesketsi-1.jpg

So here's the basic plan of how I will modify the base gun, and prepaire it for the aluminium sheet and other external materials to be added. The upper receiver will be covered entirely with aluminium sheet. Otherwise you could too clearly see what the base gun is, and I dont want that. I dont have yet the money for this project but at september I should have. hopefully :/

I found this more detailed picture of the AR2.

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/258...le_by_SgtHK.jpg

Those are also good alternatives, but the ump is simply the easiest, cheapest and because of the body design, it's the best choice. When its done, you are still able to get the gearbox and hopup w/ barrel out in less than a minute without destroying the whole gun, like you would have to do in a sg55x. :P

Can anyone give me any tips how to spraypaint the gun to look like in the first picture? Because I dont want just to paint it matt black like I usually do. I want it to be as close as possible to the original, kinda like blued steel but darker, still slightly shiny, and a little bit of wear : DD

Can anyone give me any tips how to spraypaint the gun to look like in the first picture? Because I dont want just to paint it matt black like I usually do. I want it to be as close as possible to the original, kinda like blued steel but darker, still slightly shiny, and a little bit of wear : DD

silver paint then mist black over it

• 3 weeks later...

Archived