Fixing the AK Series

I was discussing with a friend last night what is wrong with the AK series of rifles. He suggested that we mounted AR-series iron sights onto the AK, and said he had a rail around that wasn't needed. So I thought...why not completely fix my rifle so it is comparable to an AR (in terms of usability)

#1. Mount rail system (Off an old JG G36C) onto my (CYMA AKS-74). Not sure exactly how.

#2. Purchase and mount AR Peephole sights

#3. Purchase and mount "ergonomical" handgrip

#4. Try to mount a VFG on the foregrip

#5. Rubberize everything you touch for comfort.

#6. Create a cheek rest.

How does this sound for fixing my AK so it can run with the M4s?

Remember, the point is to fix the AK so it is comparable to an M16, but not make it into a M16.

One could argue that the M4 should be "fixed" so thats it more like the g36 ;)

I can see why you'd want to do it, but the fact is that AKs are not that ergonomic, and thats not their attraction. Personally I'd try to go about enhancing what makes and AK cool, good externals, nice wood etc etc.

On a more helpful note I wouldn't bother bodging a g36c RAS, there are RAS available for the 74u. Personally the best way to "improve" the AK for usability would be to some how take STANAG mags or something.

Cheers.

Just buy one of those JG aks with a rail on it already, then mount your vertical grips etc.

As for the sight idea, are you sure?

I find the AK sights are better than the M16, i find it easier to aim with the AKs open sights.

If your really keen, then a Galil peep sights wouldn't look too out of place on an AK.

As a side note, i thought the AK was for people who couldn't be bothered "doing up"an M4.

I love my AK, but it has it's shortcomings. The sights, mainly. I hate the AK sights-IMO, they suck. I much prefer the peep sights on my AR.

Sure, AKs are all about rust and wood, but that gets boring after a while. Maybe I'll just go for a sidemount and a reflex sight.

Guide to making the AK perfect in 3 easy steps.

Step one, remove user.

Step two, re-train user so he actually knows how to shoot. If this fails, replace user.

Step three, relax in the satisfaction of a job well done.

Or you could attach a scope mount and one of those funky russian RDS'.

The AK both in RS and Airsoft is a good bit of kit.

The "Fix" suggestions mostly already exist

e.g.

1) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...?idProduct=2981

or

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...?idProduct=2200 - Also provides 3) the ergonomic grip

2) Peep hole sights aren't that good IMHO, if you want something other than the sights, got for a red dot

You could combine 1 & 2 with this - http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comers...?idProduct=2263 and add a red dot to the top rail?

4) Use any of the above kits and it becomes dead easy.

5) Why? rubberised parts snag on loose jackets etc - I have this issue with the UMP Stock I have on my G3K.

6) Make your own, it's not hard. You can get a stock adaptor to mount an Armalite stock.

However, Ed Skar seems to have it nailed - If you buy an AK, 99/100 you buy it to be an AK. Appreciate it for what it is. Unless like me, you love turning them into some kind of Frankenstein's reject monster...

(hehehe, I have an SVD coming to do that to shortly :diablo: )

I can see why you'd want to do it, but the fact is that AKs are not that ergonomic, and thats not their attraction. Personally I'd try to go about enhancing what makes and AK cool, good externals, nice wood etc etc.

Cheers.

As always, the coolest thing to do to an airsoft AK is to weather it. Brings out the character!

For ergonomics, pick up some 100 series furniture. Those have better ergonomics and the comb is raised to give you a more positive cheek wield (no need for separate cheek rest). True that rubberized textures will stick to things like clothing. Ribbing is much better because it only grips unto surfaces when enough pressure is exerted. The problem with AK sights is that they take long for precise aiming due to a narrow notch on the rear. But its wide open on top, unlike peep sights, so you can do fast rough aiming (just sit the hood of the front sight on the plane of the rear sight and fire). Alternatively, you could file the rear sight notch to be wider. It will loose precision but gain in speed. If you really must change the rear sight, put some padding between the dust cover and the gearbox to keep it from wobbling then screw on a high enough piece of rail for you to mount your new sights.

I love my AK, but it has it's shortcomings. The sights, mainly. I hate the AK sights-IMO, they suck. I much prefer the peep sights on my AR.

Sure, AKs are all about rust and wood, but that gets boring after a while. Maybe I'll just go for a sidemount and a reflex sight.

http://www.ebairsoft.com/adjustable-sight-800m-p-1284.html

enjoy.

keep the AK rape to a minimum ;)

all of these 'improvements' could be made while retaining a 'kyber pass' kinda feel. use 7.62 mags with it, AKM slant muzzle break, add an AIMS foregrip (or any wooden handguard then bolt a RS pistol grip to it), add the peephole rear sight (if you insist), bubble wrap and duct tape for a cheekrest, buy a wooden pistol grip and try to file finger grooves in it, weld/bolt a bit of bent metal onto the mag release for uberT4cticalR3loading (a similar trick could be used on the fire selector, although both mods are, IMO, pointless)

and last but not least weather the hell out of it. although it's important to go slow and sensible, dont over do it and look at plenty of pics.

My plague, that sounds better than all of the tacti-fail I had planned.

070-1-2.jpg

Current plans:

-Purchase Romy G Donkey Dong Forend

-Purchase peephole back sights

-Purchase/fabricate a proper sling

-POSSIBLY purchase siderail and go for a Russian looking reflex sight (I have one in mind)

My plague, that sounds better than all of the tacti-fail I had planned.

Current plans:

-Purchase Romy G Donkey Dong Forend

-Purchase peephole back sights

-Purchase/fabricate a proper sling

-POSSIBLY purchase siderail and go for a Russian looking reflex sight (I have one in mind)

cheers, i do my best :P

dont bother with a 'russian looking' RDS, the gun will look anything but russian at the end of the day. IMO you'd do best to either leave it with the peephole sight or chuck a battered old aimpoint on there. personally, i wouldnt like the look of the latter but it would certainly look better than a kobra (why would a battered old AK like that have a modern day russian RDS on it?)

@Wege

The AK5 is a Swedish modificated FN FNC and has nothing to do with the Kalashnikov-series. AK5 = Automat Karbin 5 (Automatic Carbine 5)

cheers.. and the fellow below your post mentioned it.

Sorry.. confuzzled about the wrong one there.. D:

#1. Mount rail system (Off an old JG G36C) onto my (CYMA AKS-74). Not sure exactly how.

#2. Purchase and mount AR Peephole sights

#3. Purchase and mount "ergonomical" handgrip

#4. Try to mount a VFG on the foregrip

#5. Rubberize everything you touch for comfort.

#6. Create a cheek rest.

and you call that fixing an AK ?!

=P

Archived