Polishing Tightbore Barrel

Wutang

Hey all, I have a 6.01 mm EdGI tightbore barrel coming in and was thinking of polishing it with some Brasso metal polisher that I got at Lowes. Will it yield any performance benefits and more importantly, can it adversely affect performance? Thanks.

Hey all, I have a 6.01 mm EdGI tightbore barrel coming in and was thinking of polishing it with some Brasso metal polisher that I got at Lowes. Will it yield any performance benefits and more importantly, can it adversely affect performance? Thanks.

Firstly, I'd have a word with 'Ed' at Edgi, as he will have a definitive answer.

I suspect, it is not a good idea. The tolerance in these barrels is very good. The use of brasso or any other abrasive in a less controlled manner, will probably affect this. After all, we are talking about one hundredths of a mm here & you could easily remove this with abrasive polish.

Greg.

DO NOT use this type of polish. You will corode the inner surface of the barrel, as that is what Brasso, and similar, is designed to do.

You should clean your barrel, but you should never take away or add any material to it.

Brasso is designed to corrode? :rolleyes: Brasso is a very abrasive polish and I certainly would not use it for that reason.

I call ###### on that. However, what would I know? Only about 15 years experience in the knife industry as a tester and product developer. I can confirm that products such as Brasso do not corrode they abrade the material to remove oxidation.

Look at Flitz polish, it will give you the results you want with the most minute material removal. If you have to use a polish, use Flitz. I use it on the metal and brass parts of my custom knives and Randall knives. Couple of them are worth nearly £1000 each. So yeah I know what I am talking about and put my money where my mouth is.

Me? I would not us a polish on such a barrel. Its simply not needed. You can get impressive results with a little elbow grease and some tissue or cloth patches covered in a little silicone.

Man... I know its the internets but... :rolleyes:

They are designed to eat away at the top layer of a surface, otherwise known as corrosion.

No they're not. They have tiny particles in the liquid which abrade the surface in order to clean it.

It's rubbing at a surface with brasso that wears the surface down.

Pour brasso on a sheet of aluminium, leave it for ten years and nothing will have been "eaten away".

On topic, I'd be more interested to hear how you plan on polishing the barrel in a controlled way.

I have polished the inside of barrels by using a cleaning rod attached to a leccy drill and it always looks good but I have no idea if it has aby benefit.

I've usually only done it with barrels that have obvious scratches inside.

To put this in perspective, my mum wom some silver cups for netball back in the 1950's.

She polishes them every Sunday with Brasso.

If you look at them now you can see that the engraving on them isn't as sharp as it used to be.

She's a long way from wearing any holes in them though. ;)

OK, i will back down from the "corrosive" argument.

Still not a good idea, as you say its "abrasive" and that will change the inner surface of the barrel. Barrels are machined to high tolerances (some higher than others:P) so you dont really want to be "abrading" them.

Erm lol. ED polishes his barrels at the factory and there is no way using conventional tools that you will be able to outdo the polishing already put on it.

Erm lol. ED polishes his barrels at the factory and there is no way using conventional tools that you will be able to outdo the polishing already put on it.

agreed, i have 2 of his barrels and they are the best barrels ive seen in along time, they are super polished internally.

check out this review it shows an comparisment photo of a TM precision barrel and EdGI's one

Why the vents?

I had a long discussion a long time ago with a few 'softers on this point. We thought that vents just like those show would allow the air preassure to exit before the BB. We thought that it would make any gun using it more accurate, though not nesseserally to any noticable ammount.

We also thought that it would solve the problem of using a full cylander with a short barrel. So you could have two barreles for the same gun and just switch the normal long barrel for a short, vented, barrel.

All this is conjecture mind, so may not be accurate. (i'd like to test it though :))

the vents allow air to begin escaping befor the BB leaves the barrel. it quiets the muzzle pop and allows the BB a turbulence free exit.

as the BB exits a normal barrel, the air all of the suddne just lets out causing the bb to be nudged in a random direction upon exit, depending on the ultimate angle of the muzzle (cause nothing can be absolute zero right?). and it creates a sound like opening a closed and pressurized valve.

with the ports, the air rushing around the bb upon exiting the muzzle is much less.

Just trying to wrap my head around your theory,

Its sound in that escaping air might affect the trajectory of the bb, but is it not safe to say that air escaping in many directions at high pressure right before the bb leaves the barrel would cause even more turbulence and similarly affect exit trajectory?

I'm just your average bob when it comes to this, perhaps someone could enlighten us.

instead of riding a jet of air out, its a cushion. as long as the ports are precise (which edgi's are) only good things will come. the air exits evenly before the BB looses the support of the barrel. the air escaping from the holes doesn't effect the trajectory of the BBs like the air escaping around the BB after it exits the barrel.

Yea, a high end tightbore is an expensive tightbore because it is already machined and polished to a very high tolerance, so no need to polish it further. I have taken old barrels and cheap barrels and polished them smooth (pipe cleaner with Mother's aluminum polish works well), and had noticeable results that the accuracy had improved, but nothing extreme.

Ported barrels may improve accuracy by reducing the burst of air around the bb, as already stated. This is very common on paintball markers, and seems to be a justified approach. On an airsoft gun, I have always felt that one must take into account the fact that the bb rolls along the top of the barrel due to the hopup, and any interference in this surface would destabilize the bb. For that reason I doubt those new Madbull Crawler barrels, but until I see a good side by side test, I can't state that as a fact.

Archived