Lube.

greg

Mmm, I've run vsr's for a while now (since they came out) & love to tinker with their uncomplicated bits & bobs to try & make them even better.

From time to time, the 'cylinder lube' question comes up & I casually add to the pile with my stock "yeah, I use a thin coat of Wicks own brand silicon lube for gutters, it's the same as abbey 35, only cheaper".

I got the Abbey habit after a few attempts with various AEG cylinder lubes (Marui, CA & Systemma) & reading the Hawai888 'how too' where they recommended it.

Never looked back until recently. I was discussing 'The General's' recommendations (Finnish Line's Teflon reinforced cycle grease) with a comrade & figured it was a good idea.

This was partly because one of my vsr mechs was getting a bit stiff & partly as I had some in the shed.

So, long story short, I did my usual de/re-grease thing, replacing the Wicks with the Finnish line.

First impressions were good, cocking was way smoother, but the chrono was disappointing: Lost 20fps & the shot to shot consistency went from 'same every shot' to +/-1.

Has anyone else messed about with lube & recorded the results? :blink: (I did that deliberately ;) )

Greg.

Mmm, I've run vsr's for a while now (since they came out) & love to tinker with their uncomplicated bits & bobs to try & make them even better.

From time to time, the 'cylinder lube' question comes up & I casually add to the pile with my stock "yeah, I use a thin coat of Wicks own brand silicon lube for gutters, it's the same as abbey 35, only cheaper".

I got the Abbey habit after a few attempts with various AEG cylinder lubes (Marui, CA & Systemma) & reading the Hawai888 'how too' where they recommended it.

Never looked back until recently. I was discussing 'The General's' recommendations (Finnish Line's Teflon reinforced cycle grease) with a comrade & figured it was a good idea.

This was partly because one of my vsr mechs was getting a bit stiff & partly as I had some in the shed.

So, long story short, I did my usual de/re-grease thing, replacing the Wicks with the Finnish line.

First impressions were good, cocking was way smoother, but the chrono was disappointing: Lost 20fps & the shot to shot consistency went from 'same every shot' to +/-1.

Has anyone else messed about with lube & recorded the results? :blink: (I did that deliberately ;) )

Greg.

i aint messed about with loads but i have used solkolene RG2 grease on the spring, but i find after 200 shots it goes quite runny and messes up the barrel and cylinder (took 24hours of soaking to remove the grease from barrel)

now onto abbey silicone grease and thats had no problems.

the thing is with "the generals" grease is that its sticky, me and a mate used to work on his mechbox's and found the grease would attract dirt alot due to the PTFE in it. ever noticed your car door after its been to a garage and they spray it with white grease (containes ptfe) and the dirt sticks to it majorily and even jet washing it does not remove it.

I have nothing against the product but from past experiences it i find it sticky and clogs things up. (i do like the fact a product can stay put in a thin film and not clog things up)

the sticking would sort of explain your readings as its slowing the piston down slightly (metal to metal will improve til it gets drity but metal to rubber sounds like its slightly juddering rather than a smooth action of the piston)

Regards

Richard

I must say, this has proved insightful. For the last couple of months I've been using a thick silicone grease on the piston and inside the cylinder. I've also noticed over time that since I started using it, my range has been slightly lacking.

I thought this may just have been because I removed my .01 PDI barrel and replaced it with the stock .05 marui one. So I chrono'd it.

I've gone from just shy of 500fps to 430fps. And I'm using a slightly cut down SP170 :huh:

I know the barrel will have attributed to some of this loss, but the grease must explain the rest. Will report back when I've cleaned it out and tried again.

Funny thing is Chownsy, NONE of the gearboxes you worked on were greased with Finish Line Teflon grease (from me anyway)!

At that stage I was not confident enough to open the gearboxes of my guns so they went to Chownsy and another mate.

Those gearboxes were running with what ever the previous owners had used. Can't comment on what that was.

Now I am greasing my own boxes, I use the Finish line without issues. Its certainly no where near as sticky as silicone grease.

Your mileage may vary of course.

I have put quite a few rounds through a couple of guns greased with the Finish Line range and the results have been amazing.

Look at the mess you get in a stock TM with the grease they use... I think its a Moly grease and its filthy.

No, I am happy with my results in my AEG's.

I've only just got into sniping and I've been using the finish line stuff on recommendation but had heard people using just silicone oil however I was worried this wouldn't provide enough protection to the working parts causing a lot of wear.

I have put quite a few rounds through a couple of guns greased with the Finish Line range and the results have been amazing.

Look at the mess you get in a stock TM with the grease they use... I think its a Moly grease and its filthy.

No, I am happy with my results in my AEG's.

The Finnish line is more akin to other aeg greases, so I doubt there will be any loss of fps. But I ask, have you chronoed any guns before & after changing to this product?

Greg.

I've only just got into sniping and I've been using the finish line stuff on recommendation but had heard people using just silicone oil however I was worried this wouldn't provide enough protection to the working parts causing a lot of wear.

I've been on the sillicon for many years & show no noticable wear.

However, I relube about every 200 shots.

Greg.

They are AEG's and are running at expected FPS levels.

The ROF increase was very noticable as was the tone of the mechbox.

MUCH happier on this grease than the stock rubbish you get on guns.

This is not very useful to the snipers here though, so I will stay out of this one now.

I do use it on the external parts of my L96, but as thats metal on metal I use the Ceramic version.

They are AEG's and are running at expected FPS levels.

The ROF increase was very noticable as was the tone of the mechbox.

MUCH happier on this grease than the stock rubbish you get on guns.

This is not very useful to the snipers here though, so I will stay out of this one now.

I do use it on the external parts of my L96, but as thats metal on metal I use the Ceramic version.

So, are you saying no? You have not done a chrono check on an aeg before & after replacing the existing cylinder grease with Finish line?

Greg.

As an out of interest thing when I took my APS2 to F&O yesterday after some upgrades I bought off the forums it chronoed 567 fps >_> with about a 5fps variance in that.

So while we clipped the spring, someone had some 'cylinder grease' that systema sell so I we removed the teflon stuff and lubed it up and (wed clipped the spring down to 510 at this point) it jumped back up to 532 and no variance.

i use oring lube i got from my local divers shop on mine work well needs a change every few months.

Yeah, I know that stuff, it used to be real popular with the paintballers.

I never thought to use it in airsoft.

Greg.

Just thought I should give you this update:

After about 300 shots launched at Longmore the week before last, I figured I should do my usual de/regrease thing, in preperation for this weeks shenanagens.

This was the lalaxed 500fpser that I tried the Finnish Line Teflon fortified grease on.

So go to post 1 if you are unfamiliar.

Any how I was horrified to find out that it don't get on with the adhesives used by Lalax. The sorbo pads on the cylinder head & rubber pad stuck to the head of the piston were both holding on by the thinnest of threads. The adhesive on both had just kind of liquefied & was useless.

I can only guess it was this new grease as I have never seen this before.

I put the rubber back on the piston head with evo stick & put new sorbo pads on.

I decided to use the Finnish line again to see if it repeats. If it does we'll know for sure.

Beware!

Greg.

Ive been using Finish Line grease in all of my guns, and a few of my friends. I been very pleased with the results. Like the General, I've noticed a boost in ROF and a smoother sounding gearbox.

I wonder if you just got a bad bottle or something? After lubing my gun up about a month ago, I opened it up again, to replace one of the gears, and the grease seemed flawless to me.

++EDIT++

I've done a before and after chrono on a few of my guns. Each of them has either stayed the same, or boosted a little because of the lube job.

Ive been using Finish Line grease in all of my guns, and a few of my friends. I been very pleased with the results. Like the General, I've noticed a boost in ROF and a smoother sounding gearbox.

I wonder if you just got a bad bottle or something? After lubing my gun up about a month ago, I opened it up again, to replace one of the gears, and the grease seemed flawless to me.

++EDIT++

I've done a before and after chrono on a few of my guns. Each of them has either stayed the same, or boosted a little because of the lube job.

Well, as said this could be a specific compatibility problem with Lalax's chosen adhesive.

It's a shame because although it reduced the fps (in my case) the bolt pull is very smooth. & tbh, unlike my preferred silicon oil, I doubt it needed such regular (200-300) round maintenance.

Greg.

Sounds like an incompatability issue to me as well.

To be fair, as origionally posted, I never tested on my L96 to the extent of breaking the gun down and lubing the internals.

Its been used on my Aegs and Gbb pistols to great effect.

I just hope its not caused damage if it is this thats caused it. :(

Sounds like an incompatability issue to me as well.

To be fair, as origionally posted, I never tested on my L96 to the extent of breaking the gun down and lubing the internals.

Its been used on my Aegs and Gbb pistols to great effect.

I just hope its not caused damage if it is this thats caused it. :(

No damage, everything else looked fine.

Like you, I rate this stuff. I've been using it on my mtb's for years. I just never considered it for airsoft until you bought it up. I'm glad you did because it's an excelent tip.

I'm sure it's fine on aegs. Just not anything with Lalax glue. :(

& it's cheap as chips compared with the stuff you get offered by the Airsoft rip off merchants.

I'm going to use it on my next aeg strip down. Unfortunately it may have to be back to the silicon for the vsr.

Greg.

• 1 month later...
greg, you say you actually lost fps with the teflon grease? im very surprised! i gained 50fps by using this!

let us know how it gets on with the other aeg. my GB after 12k rounds is still performing great and the GB doesn't look like s**t inside :)

I did, but please note this was on a VSR. The 20fps loss was compared to using silicon oil with a viscosity similar to abbey 35.

This is not something you would use in an aeg cylinder as it only lasts about 200 shots before having to be cleaned out & re applied.

In all fairness, I use the oil over any grease, specifically because it gives the extra fps, in conjunction with a teflon cylinder.

Greg.

Archived