Opimal engagement range

Mega12

At what distance do you engage a target to get the optimal hit?

With an assault rifle, what distance do you usually start shooting. I'm still kinda new at this game, but i'm learning alot, but one thing I usually find myself doing is shooting at a target before i'm actually able to hit them.

So what is the best distance to engage a target with a 350fps rifle?

What about a pistol say a stock P226

I think that really is a "How long is a ball of string" question.

It would come down to the rifle itself, if its stock or upgraded, and the conditions your shooting in.

If your wanting to find out what range is best for your rifle then that will come with time as you get to know your rifle.

Sorry for the vague answer :(

I think i engage people at about 60-70 feet, is that a good range? I get really jittery when I see enemy targets closing in on my ambush position, I try to hold it as much as possible til they get closer, but when some guy next to me starts laying down fire, and they start running I feel like I gotta get my shot in or I loose my chance.

I think that I do hit people, yet they don't feel it. I honestly don't know if I hit them at that range. I still a noob at this i've played about 7-8 games since i've started and I still don't have a feel for it. 4 of those were at larger woodland areas, the others were just cqc.

I have a stock VFC/avalon M4 and I know i'm hitting something, because once I fire, the enemy ducks and covers. But I don't hit anyone. You guys can give me a rough number right?

I'm gonna be honest here, i've gotten maybe only 10-14 kills since i've started playing. These were long fullday games too, so I feel like a nub, I may have a good gun, but I don't know how to use it =(

I'm going with as far as possible; 50 or 60 metres, if I've got a decent line of sight. And if I've got a gun that'll shoot that far, Which means my G36c. My AGM M4, however, Is somewhat different.

With that, I'm engaging at about 25 odd metres, mainly as I can't hit anything past that at the moment! :D When my new bits for it appear, that should all change, but for now it's as close as possible with that.

@ Mega: It's hard to know for sure that you hit people at that range.

Sure, with any decent AEG you should be able to hit a man at 150+ feet, but twigs, movement and other elements make things more complicated.

Most of the places I play, it's the terrain and not the guns that limit how close you want your target before you open up.

20-30 meters at most, except for some really open areas.

I'd also say as far as comfortably possible.

Shooting people as close as possible is fine... With a secondary.

For the sake of good sportsmanship - learn when and where to use semi.

Nothing infuriates me more than getting riddled with beebs from 2 metres away by a player who is then convinced they can play better than your average n00b spray and pray artist. A double-tap would have sufficed.

Trigger discipline is the one thing I keep an eye on all the time.

Ben.

Trigger discipline is the one thing I keep an eye on all the time.

Ben.

I've played with alot of players that remind me of leroy jenkins, they jump the gun and start firing way too soon.

For me I think I get hits best at about 40ft, at the range I can also verify the kill. Anything further than that is pushing it, especially in woodland with trees and twigs and leaves. Alot of people I know also don't take the leaves and twigs into account.

Airsoft is quite difficult, and it takes time to master.

It largely depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. If I'm trying to get toward an objective, then there isn't any point in attacking at a range I wasn't comfortable at. Why draw attention and fire towards you because you engaged too far? However, if I'm defending something, I'd definitely shoot at much longer ranges, because regardless of whether or not I hit them, it gets their heads down and makes it harder for them to move up.

It really depends on the situation. If your doing an ambush then letting them get as close as possible is best, but if your defending its the opposite, you want to keep them as far away from you as possible.

But normally I open up on the target at around 20-30m

Another vote for 20/30m depending on conditions and how good your aim is! As previously said, it will come with experience as it will be different for every individual and AEG. Get to know how far away you can consistently hit a target and also how far away you have to be for the player to acknowledge the hit - they aren't the same thing. For example: my main AEG is a TM, so it has a great hop up meaning the accurate range is long, but the low fps means that players won't feel the hit at the end of that range so you have to get closer.

Archived