Sniping Haven Ground Zero Weekender Thread

L4byr1nth

Woooooo!!

It's that time again.

A.J. just reminded me about the upcoming Ground Zero Weekender (28th - 30th of August).

Basically, if you're going, post in here which team you're on, your favourite sniping spots, hints and tips for first time GZW snipers (me!), etc.

I propose an Arnie's Airsoft Sniping Haven meet & greet - I.E. beer and a few pictures, just to say we've actually met these people we spend all this time arguing with on the internet ;)

Anyone up for that?

Ben.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm well up for that. I'll be on The Others team. Damned if I'm telling you my favourite spots :P But hell, you know they'll only work for rifles without an MED.

I'm sure if you ask a marshal where Jesus is, they'll point you in my direction. I think most people are turning up on the Friday, game don't start till Saturday, but I'll be there late on the Thursday due to prior engagements. Probably before all the staff to be honest. Still, if you seek me out on the day, I'll be happy to point out some nice spots on the map.

Go on... You know you want to... :lol:

Ben.

EDIT:: We're on Delta. I've never been to the site before, so I might have to take you up on the map offer.

Also, as far as drinking goes, would you say Friday night would be easier for everyone, or Saturday? It depends when everyone is turning up.

Sure you're putting them on right? ;)

Are you coming with a team/site, or just on your own? I'm with Team Beans, on Delta.

Also, if enough people are interested, I'll get some beers and an icebox in for an official Arnie's Airsoft Sniping Haven meet, probably on Saturday after the game has ended. So if you're up for it, give me a heads up via P.M. or in the thread here.

If not, I'll see you chaps in the bar ;)

Ben.

yeah i just called up my mate and he bought some low profile rings round and they fit. Its because its 3-9x50 scope and the rings fit a 40 lens maybe? no idea oh well or fixed now.

im going down with a few mates as a team not serious just gona play some airsoft ^^. 4 of us are snipers

No its just different sized tubes (nothing to do with lenses) mate, metric and imperial. Most common metric is 30mm which is probably the 50mil scope. Then there's the imperial, which are usually 1" (25.4mm) which is no doubt what the 40mil scope is.

Anywho, glad you found them.

Are GZW's better for sniping than normal games would you guys say? There tends to be more guys sniping at the GZW's but I don't know if thats because there is just so many guys in general in the first place or whether its because its a better event to snipe at - possibly due to the events size? I suppose you could lay down and not have to wait long for a kill with that many guys around :huh:

I'd originally decided to give it a miss but may do Sat. Mind you £70 for one day is a bit steep.

I'm usually Delta, obviously they will feel the pinch if I don't make the effort. Good thing you are going Ben, at least they will have a bit of a chance. ;)

Fave area is obviously the more open environment of the Beta site. Got my longest ever confirmed kill there in YR2. Floated on across the valley. Confirmed by lazer at 94m. Woo-hoo.

If you are happy to dig in, the fern side of the valley can be very fruitful, as the road down it is a main thoroughfare & the forest opposite is good for a punt. This is best done if your team hold the fern side, otherwise forget it.

Ambushes on any of the straight roads, over 30m long always cause havoc.

The road/footpath system is well trodden, loads of folk use them to move around the site. Just be careful to try & work out the difference between legitimate targets & dead folk who are on their way to the dead zones.

Charlie across the valley to Stag is another good one. About 65m, so if the wind is low & you can get a good spot, well worth a punt. Due to the cover it will only really work in that direction, not back the other way.

Again, due to the med, (other than the above suggestions) steer clear of the Alpha site. This time of year there are few areas (other than roads or the larger bases, Charlie etc.) where you can see further than 30m.

Good luck to all, you never know, I might make the effort, it would be great to meet up. ;)

Greg.

It will be win!

A bit closer to the time, everyone who wants to attend the meet & greet/beerfest should PM me their numbers.

We can get an idea of how many, and it'll also let me tell you where it's happening.

P.S. Greg, I heard about that valley shot....

Ben.

P.S. Greg, I heard about that valley shot....

Ben.

At the time it was pretty hot news. Bare in mind this was a few years back & at 500fps.

The guy I hit, (not sure if it was the one you heard about) was a 'card holder'. The rules of that game meant upon getting hit, he had to remain static with his card on display for 10 mins.

This allowed me the time to check the distance with a Bushnell range finder & then break cover to thank the guy for taking the hit.

I was on sgm's at that time & he described it as feeling like a bee landing on him. The only reason he knew it was a hit was because he saw the bb land on the floor after bouncing off him.

Classic stuff really, the best I've had since is a 90m. I normally get an 80+ on a good day but just the two 90's so far.

Greg.

Gregs pointed out some very good spots there. The landing zone and surrounding area's have become a favourite of mine as well. There's some opportunities around secret base, and mostly it's plan B fire. Although, if you can get into a good spot, checkpoint Charlie has some long ranges you can get satisfying kills over. Unfortunately, they're building some form of defences in front of a nice little tunnel I use, so it might end up as a pistol rampage entrance point, rather than a point to lay in wait with a long arm.

I'll be with the GZCF camp all weekender, so if anyone wants to drop by on the Friday, I'll be there probably fixing guns or tinkering with a co2 rig. There's usually some beer kicking around too, but I'm not sure what it'll be this year. Haven't had the Macro Mail through for a while.

As for more people sniping at GZ, I wouldn't believe it. More people have sniper rifles. They tend to be clone L96's and Bar10s. Not very well set up, with horrible scopes. I always think you'd be terribly unlucky to get killed by a sniper at GZ. Although the ground does lend itself to some nice long range kills, it's unusual for anyone to have a gun that's good enough to make them. Or the patience to steak out a piece of ground. I get killed more often by people with AEG's laying in wait than anything else. I can't actually think of the last time a sniper hit me :|.

Nah, he has a fair point.

There are loads of folk carrying B.A.'s but I doubt many of them do well.

GZ is kind of all or nothing.

The original site has very little to offer a sniper, being a maze of roads & tunnels in the undergrowth. It is very tight. I've spent more than a few game days there & not even loaded my visser due to not having a clear shot longer than the M.E.D.

Staking out one of the longer tracks or, as said, 'check point Charlie' is kind of it. (There are a few spots but one has to keep a few secrets. :D ) You'll have more fun finding them yourself.

Most of the fighting in this area involves crawling through the undergrowth or being hosed point blank by someone who is, crawling through the undergrowth.

As you move toward 'Secret base' it starts to open out with more sensible engagement distances & as you approach 'Plan B' (my apologies for calling it beta :rolleyes: ) sniping possibilities are a plenty. :D

In fact at this point it is so open (as a sniper) you have to watch out for people moving so quick, they get inside your M.E.D.

I like to snipe at GZ as it is a very satisfying challenge, but to be fair, I normally have my incredibly patient bodyguard/spotter aeg contingent alongside, to mop up the brave.

Ambush is the order of the day, if you prefer moving, a good quality aeg is better. They do have the 425fps semi aeg thing but tbh a 500fps boltie is a better option as they both have the same M.E.D.

Greg.

Too true. I've been nothing but annoyed at the 425 AEGs I've tried. You're not meant to shoot more than 1 shot every 5 seconds, which I can do more than with my VSR let alone my Tanaka, but 30m MED means you're engagement distances are cut down significantly. Say you've got a VSR that goes 80m consistently. That's 80-30 MED, so you have 50m to play around with. I've seen AEG's at 350fps do 50m. So when you've got a 425 AEG you've got less shots than a 350fps AEG, you've got a MED of 30m, and it only goes to say 65m, so you've got 35m of engagement distance to play around with. One of the reasons I'm not getting along with my SVD.

Too true. I've been nothing but annoyed at the 425 AEGs I've tried. You're not meant to shoot more than 1 shot every 5 seconds, which I can do more than with my VSR let alone my Tanaka, but 30m MED means you're engagement distances are cut down significantly. Say you've got a VSR that goes 80m consistently. That's 80-30 MED, so you have 50m to play around with. I've seen AEG's at 350fps do 50m. So when you've got a 425 AEG you've got less shots than a 350fps AEG, you've got a MED of 30m, and it only goes to say 65m, so you've got 35m of engagement distance to play around with. One of the reasons I'm not getting along with my SVD.

That is a concern for me. I'm still really wanting the SVD - i'm almost buying it tonight actually! My local sites allow 450fps SA with 25m engagement - so, not quite as bad.

Charlie across the valley to Stag is another good one. About 65m, so if the wind is low & you can get a good spot, well worth a punt. Due to the cover it will only really work in that direction, not back the other way.

From another perspective... "Oh Hi guys, I've finally caught up with you" "Jimbo, dont stand there" "Eh" "Dont stand THWAK..." "WTF?" turns and peers across the valley..."Was that you?" sees sniper waving, trudges back to the dead zone muttering. :P

Archived