Sniping Haven Ground Zero Weekender Thread

L4byr1nth

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have a great time in Eversley mate, but next year, make sure you come to GZ!

Lol 430 mm, so all you stock G-Spec users :bleh:

Ben.

My barrels are tiny, 430-500mm. :huh:

Weather forecast for the w/end is good. I'm getting jealous you lucky people.

Greg.

Hehehehe just finished packing.

This is going to be win!

Ben.

Been quiet on here this weekend, while the GZ weekender has been on. Looking forward to hearing some accounts of encounters.

I'm on the verge of setting off for the 6mm HUNTER, 7 day outing. 3 days will be Field Hunteering, with the rest of the days, being other events and walking/filming. Looking at the weeks forcast it is going to be a wet weather event. SHame but after last years 7 day monsoon refresher, it should be yet another walk in the park. <_<

One thing is certain, I am going to be scared to move a muscle for those 3 damp days. That is the buzz of the game for me. Bring it on.

Good Hunting ;)

Well, the weekender was pretty damn good, by all accounts.

I made some great shots with the VSR on the Saturday, over the Valley defending Checkpoint Charlie. The end of the day culminated in a defense of our firebase, and I was standing with our team behind the barricades when a guy with an L96 asked for help from another sniper.

I was led to this little sniper hide that looked right out across the Valley. This guy had been trying to take on all the enemies that were trying to make their way around the side and flank the Delta firebase.

At that point, the bushes moved on the other side of the Valley. There was a guy there, might have been an enemy sniper, who dropped down into a bush. All I could see was his head at that point, and he was at least 80 metres away, but probably more like 85 - 90 m.

Aiming an inch up in the scope, with a Blaster Devil 0.40g, I hit him in the head.

Sunday didn't provide much chance to use the rifle - most of the areas either had too much cover for the enemy to duck behind, or the open space in them didn't meet my M.E.D., so a lot of time was spent with my pistol. I got a lot of pistol and Bang kills but did get a couple of nice VSR shots.

I'm thinking of changing my HOP rubber to the Firefly from the Nineball, because on the Sunday, at the longer ranges, I was getting a lot of curve off to the right. It got quite annoying after awhile, because it seemed to come and go. Sometimes my shots went laser straight (this happened most of Saturday), but more than half the time on the Sunday, they shot off to the right. My rifle wasn't on a cant, so it was either wind, or I'll have to mod the HOP actuator.

Highlights were probably meeting AnotherJesus who gave me and Nexus1101 a very helpful brief on the Friday and then came over for a beer on the Saturday night. Had a beer with PunkyPink, and met Catman and Mad Dog (and fired their .50 cal :D).

Ben.

my first time sniping and at this weekender. Overall it was very good. I got my VSR upgraded with a 110 spring while i was there. I didnt get many kills with the sniper as my scope wasnt zerod in correctly and the mounts had broke i think and accuracy wasnt great. Best kill with it was me and my cousin sitting in a bush. Guy pokes his head out around 30-40 meters away i shot and get him in the face :P. I said sorry after and he just chuckled =P .

People were a bit iffy about taking hits, it has to be said.

This wasn't aided by some players, who, frustrated by being able to see the enemy down the long paths, but not being able to shoot them due to range, decided to just angle their gun up in the air, and spray full hi-caps indiscriminately into the sky.

As far as I'm concerned, if a BB hits you, you're dead. But does that really count? Maybe something for the organisers to look at putting in the rules for next year?

Ben.

yeah i heard of a few snipers getting annoyed by people not taking hits. I had a few who didnt take there hits but it happens. I got hit by a sniper around 4 - 5 times I think. Well i felt a bb hit me after hearing a very quite snap. i always take them even if theres a high chance it wasnt a hit as it makes the snipers work not go unwasted

Hehehehehe a funny one for me was base defense on the Saturday at Checkpoint Charlie, looking over the Valley.

I'd been standing around for about 10 minutes, shooting at The Others, who seemed to be milling around on their side of the Valley, contemplating an assault on the .50 cal, and taking potshots by aiming their AEG's in the air.

I was getting bored, so I decided to zero my scope. Looking straight over the Valley, I turned left a bit, and found a bush about 60 - 70 metres away, diagonally.

Set the scope, and fired a few test shots. Everything was fine and dandy. Was chatting to a young guy who had borrowed a Warrior L96 because his gun had packed in, but he only had 0.20g's, so I gave him some spare 0.25g's to see if they made a difference.

Bugger me, as I was putting the speedloader away, I spotted three individuals in DPM, with full-face masks and two tone guns sneakily working down from the top of the Valley, right towards the bush I'd just set my scope for. "Here we go, they're never going to take the hits" I thought. They were trying to come up on the side of Checkpoint Charlie, flanking all the guys doing base defense.

It was funny because as they moved along, they obviously got more confident in their sneaking abilities, because they were going pretty quick.

I waited 'til the first one was about to leave the bush, and fired the first shot, which hit him. He called it, and started to move off. I fired a shot at the second guy, which hit the branch just infront of him. He just kind of froze, and my follow-up shot hit him, which he called. The third lad legged it back up the Valley.

My observation of them lasted about 5 - 10 minutes, and the actual shooting took around 15 seconds, with three shots fired.

As the two walked to the regen, I managed to shout "Bad lucks lads", to which they replied "Nevermind, nice shooting".

Ben.

Glad y'all had a good time.

I missed the social side of it more than anything else, it would have been good to meet up.

Maybe next year.

Next 'biggie' for me is the 'Bramly' weekender in about a month. John Clancey is arranging it under his 'hit takers' banner & I it has the potential to be the weekend of the year.

Having been lucky enough to walk the site, I'm really looking forward to this, as it is a magical place & offers snipers, 'the lot'. :D

Have to say, I think I'll make the effort to GZ next year. How many made it this year?

Greg.

Archived