M4 GBBR enhanced recoil modification.

chownsy

I just carried out this mod to see if if would work, and it does.

Tools needed:

Wire cutters

Parts needed:

Old TM AEG spring.

Process:

Cut 11 coils off a Tm standard spring and then open your M4 up (you can cut less off but it wont cock fully back).

Remove the buffer from the buffer tube

Put the cut end of the spring onto the buffer

Reinstall the buffer into the buffer tube.

Close the M4 up and test.

Im not going to keep this in until i have bought enhanced hop unit and bolt face/fake extractor

Also, any chance you could make a short vdeo to see how the gun "recoils"? You, know holding it with little force so it can move around more freely. Thanks!

will do tomorrow.

the bolt slams forward alot harder now and gives a good recoil feel to it. Shot it earlier too and i noticed it was recoiling more.

The only problem i can see with this is your increasing the recoil in the wrong direction..

"Felt recoil" is supposed to be the force pushing back onto your shoulder, adding this spring makes the rifle lurch forward instead of backward

yea i know that but it seemed to make it feel better when i tested it earlier. Only thing i was working it on was how pistol recoil springs increase the felt recoil.

I dont mind you disproving this. I just thought the upgrade parts for buffer springs increased there strength too.

I'm gonna guess this will really damage the bolt stop and bolt carrier if they haven't better upgraded. When the bolt stop is pushed up to engage, the BCG will slam into it much harder since the new spring is providing much more force.

Looking at how much difference there is between the "Lock" position of the bolt lock, and the maximum bolt travel, i doubt the bolt lock will even engage with this spring in the system.

The one thing you would have to be very careful of is the increased strain on the front of your gun, flinging a heavy bolt back that hard into the "Home" position

You may find it will quite quickly smash the front of the receiver off entirely

I'm concerned about the orientation of the spring. In dual recoil spring assemblies on real guns, the two springs have opposite handedness so their coils won't snag against each other when compressed. If they're wound the same way, its possible for them to mesh and give inconsistent "springiness". Worst case is if a lot of the coils mesh together and end up locking the buffer, stopping your bcg from going all the way back and reset your mag valve causing it to vent.

I'm concerned about the orientation of the spring. In dual recoil spring assemblies on real guns, the two springs have opposite handedness so their coils won't snag against each other when compressed. If they're wound the same way, its possible for them to mesh and give inconsistent "springiness". Worst case is if a lot of the coils mesh together and end up locking the buffer, stopping your bcg from going all the way back and reset your mag valve causing it to vent.

Well, turn one of the springs around. ;)

Or just buy a heavier buffer... I simply bought a real steel AR-15 buffer (not the heavyweight, just regular "stock" buffer) and it increased the recoil a lot. It's been quite a while too and I haven't noticed much wear/damage due to just that (I mean, I cracked my nozzle but that was because my o-ring blew out and I kept shooting...).

I was wondering what those plastic bits were...

Let us know after extended testing if it wears the parts any quicker?

Ben.

Will do, im running this on propane. Will run a few mags through it today.

I'm gonna guess this will really damage the bolt stop and bolt carrier if they haven't better upgraded. When the bolt stop is pushed up to engage, the BCG will slam into it much harder since the new spring is providing much more force.

The bolt stop was already buggered when i got this so its not a big problem until i need to upgrade the internals.

Looking at how much difference there is between the "Lock" position of the bolt lock, and the maximum bolt travel, i doubt the bolt lock will even engage with this spring in the system.

The one thing you would have to be very careful of is the increased strain on the front of your gun, flinging a heavy bolt back that hard into the "Home" position

You may find it will quite quickly smash the front of the receiver off entirely

he bolt lock engages if you cock the gun with an empty mag in, never locked when it was firing due to wear of the bolt lock.

Also if my receiver breaks ill replace it with a King arms one i was going to buy anyway.

Videos as Requested:

Wow! Huge difference, no kidding! Check the vids out, guys: the gun has actual recoil.

Yeah thats a pretty big difference (the first video is kinda choppy though so it's hard to tell). It looks like the recoil is pretty good going back and forward so it's evenly balanced out.

Pretty cheap modfor some serious recoil. Did you notice gas consumption changes at all?

Yeah thats a pretty big difference (the first video is kinda choppy though so it's hard to tell). It looks like the recoil is pretty good going back and forward so it's evenly balanced out.

Pretty cheap modfor some serious recoil. Did you notice gas consumption changes at all?

yea does drink a bit more gas but was pretty cold out side, ran it indoors just an was better on the consumption.

Just filled the 2 mags full with gas and run them through it, 1st mag on slow single only fire with a few double taps, Good recoil still and a smile on my face.

the 2nd mag i did a few bursts on auto, was empty mag in about 6 bursts. Massive grin on my face from the recoil and feel.

The hop unit aint working but i dont think its been working since the barrel fell off when i 1st got the rifle.

Anyway bolt lock dont work at all now but its nothing huge in my eyes

Archived