Vicious Pitbull Attack

L4byr1nth

Sorry, but why is this in humour and jokes?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8391844.stm

The family of a four-year-old boy who was mauled to death by a pit bull-type dog at his grandmother's house have said he was the "light of their lives".

John Paul Massey was attacked by the illegally-held animal, in Wavertree, Liverpool, on Monday.

This thread existed before the attack, Xaccers, so take a chill pill and sit this one out.

Why should he sit this one out? he brings up valid points, just because they may differ from yours doesnt mean he shout shut up. whether our not this thread was before an attack or not the FACTS of the matter are that statistically pit bulls are the most dangerous dog breed when it comes to fatal attacks.

In a three year study in the U.S. from Jan 2006-Dec 2008, 59 percent of fatal dog attacks are from pitbulls alone. the next nearest offender was the rottweiler at 14 percent... that is over 4 times the frequency. Out of the fatal dogs attacked off of owner's property, 81 percent of those fatal attacks where pitbulls. Some of those attacked where noted as being in their own back yards and simply getting their mail. Pit Bulls are also the only breed that attacks in discriminant of age, attacking children, adult and elderly at similar levels. These facts are all interesting since registered pitbulls, while seem common, fall down all the way to 55 in the AKC registration list where the a dog like the Labrador Retriever has been a solid number 1 in popularity for years, yet where are the Labs on this list of fatal attacks?? no where to be seen. If one breed is no more dangerous then the rest, wouldnt the Lab be number one in attacks? Well Labs arent, they are infact one of the safest family pets breed you can get. Even the Rottweiler is far more common then the Pit Bull at 14th on the list of number of registered breeds but as mentioned before have less fatal attacks.

Another fact of the matter is that this breed was bred for one purpose, to fight. it's even noted in the name "Pit Bull" where it comes from putting them in a pit where the animals fight to the death, a sad and common uderground sport in the U.S. among other places. I have several friends that have Pit Bulls and they can be the sweetest things. Infact my long time friends had two great, well behaved Pit Bulls that had not shown any signs of aggression for the 4 or so years they owned thier dogs that they raised from puppies. I never heard them growl or seen any aggressive behavior from them. The reason I said they had is because one day they both decided to jump through the front window (through the glass) of the house and attack the mailman, this attack was so bad the city the animals be destroyed. The question that has to be asked is if there is a mechanism inside their minds that is like a switch that puts them in attack mode that is passed on, kind of like how some in science and doctors believe that a family history depression can hereditary. Is it built in to some blood lines of the breed?

There are always exceptions to every rule, the problem is what should the rule be on pitbulls? My opinion is that there should be no rule on them. My cousin's pitbull Bud is the sweetest thing in the world and I truely believe in my heart he will never hurt a fly. I trust that dog with my life. I believe every dog deserves it's chance, but you cant fight statistics and the fact of the matter is that they are still by far the most deadly breed (atleast in the United States). And one feeling I cant fight is that I feel I can never own one of this breed ever... I'm sticking to my Labradors. Dont just treat your animals right, be responsible owners.

http://www.dogsbite.org/newsroom-release-d...tudy-042209.htm

Why should he sit this one out? he brings up valid points, just because they may differ from yours doesnt mean he shout shut up. whether our not this thread was before an attack or not the FACTS of the matter are that statistically pit bulls are the most dangerous dog breed when it comes to fatal attacks.

In a three year study in the U.S. from Jan 2006-Dec 2008, 59 percent of fatal dog attacks are from pitbulls alone. the next nearest offender was the rottweiler at 14 percent... that is over 4 times the frequency. Out of the fatal dogs attacked off of owner's property, 81 percent of those fatal attacks where pitbulls. Some of those attacked where noted as being in their own back yards and simply getting their mail. Pit Bulls are also the only breed that attacks in discriminant of age, attacking children, adult and elderly at similar levels. These facts are all interesting since registered pitbulls, while seem common, fall down all the way to 55 in the AKC registration list where the a dog like the Labrador Retriever has been a solid number 1 in popularity for years, yet where are the Labs on this list of fatal attacks?? no where to be seen. If one breed is no more dangerous then the rest, wouldnt the Lab be number one in attacks? Well Labs arent, they are infact one of the safest family pets breed you can get. Even the Rottweiler is far more common then the Pit Bull at 14th on the list of number of registered breeds but as mentioned before have less fatal attacks.

Another fact of the matter is that this breed was bred for one purpose, to fight. it's even noted in the name "Pit Bull" where it comes from putting them in a pit where the animals fight to the death, a sad and common uderground sport in the U.S. among other places. I have several friends that have Pit Bulls and they can be the sweetest things. Infact my long time friends had two great, well behaved Pit Bulls that had not shown any signs of aggression for the 4 or so years they owned thier dogs that they raised from puppies. I never heard them growl or seen any aggressive behavior from them. The reason I said they had is because one day they both decided to jump through the front window (through the glass) of the house and attack the mailman, this attack was so bad the city the animals be destroyed. The question that has to be asked is if there is a mechanism inside their minds that is like a switch that puts them in attack mode that is passed on, kind of like how some in science and doctors believe that a family history depression can hereditary. Is it built in to some blood lines of the breed?

There are always exceptions to every rule, the problem is what should the rule be on pitbulls? My opinion is that there should be no rule on them. My cousin's pitbull Bud is the sweetest thing in the world and I truely believe in my heart he will never hurt a fly. I trust that dog with my life. I believe every dog deserves it's chance, but you cant fight statistics and the fact of the matter is that they are still by far the most deadly breed (atleast in the United States). And one feeling I cant fight is that I feel I can never own one of this breed ever... I'm sticking to my Labradors. Dont just treat your animals right, be responsible owners.

http://www.dogsbite.org/newsroom-release-d...tudy-042209.htm

I would say that the study you sited seemed a bit biased, atleast going on the conclusions and host. It is possible that the data is perfectly correct, but I find that unlikely.

It is not arguable that pitbulls have an proportionately high chance of injuring a person, I think the question is really whether that relates to "user error" or some inherent "flaw" in the dog. I expect that a large portion of injuries and fatalities can be traced to bad handling, stupid people, and pitbulls being "tougher" dogs. A lap dog attacking someone has a much lower chance of inflicting any kind of major injury, despite the fact that many of the smaller dogs are more inclined to be unstable. Add in the reasons people buy pitbulls or dogs in general are often not very well thought out (pitbulls being seen as a fighting breed impacts purchasing) and that owners often are not able to handle the exercise requirements of bigger stronger dogs, and there are some rather clear reasons for what I would expect to be a large portion of the unbalance.

The major problem, is that it is nearly impossible to do a study that addresses all the issues, and maintains scientific rigor.

And I firmly believe every single one of you ought to take the *fruitcage* stick out of your *albartroth* and either just stay away from the thread or appreciate the humour for what it is. Don't punish L4byr1nth just because he wasn't omnipotent enough to see into the future and spot the pitbull attack that was going to happen a few days after he posted this thread, and take your bloody studies etc to another more appropriate forum.

This isn't a thread to tell Arnies about your views on whether or not pitbulls can be trained or should be put down etc, this is a video showing just how gentle dogs can be. Try focusing on that for a change instead of leaping on the band-wagon like everyone else and calling for a crusade against all pitbull owners.

EDIT: That wasn't aimed at you, caz, just the others who seem to have completely missed the point of the thread.

Dogs are a domesticated wild animal - No matter how much training you give them, they will ALWAYS have basic instincts. Keeping a dangerous dog near a small child is an accident waiting to happen, and in my view having a potentially dangerous animal around a small child without a fit, strong adult able to control the dog if it flips should be a criminal offence. Same with any animal, if a baby ###### off a cat, it's going to get clawed, etc.

Dogs are 99% of the time harmless - However, there's always a minute chance they'll go a bit mental, especially some of the more aggressive breeds. Not to say these breeds should be banned, but parents should be intelligent enough to ensure they're always supervised or somehow restrained when around little kids... Common sense really, but as we all know, plenty of people lack that particular quality.

*edit* i should really have read the thread better - Good video, made me chuckle.

There were numerous cases of family pit bulls turning on people, with no history of viciousness or mistreatment/mistraining, one of them being a girl I was at school with.

Exactly. They are unpredictable and dangerous and for people to be joking on here after that poor lad died in liverpool is frankly pretty frickin weak. :angry:

The YouTube evidence would prove otherwise, it seems.

Ben.

So what? Mike Tyson hugs his Mum, that doesn't mean he isn't really a violent rapist. Pit Bulls should be banned, end of story. For you to claim otherwise after the number of children mauled by them in recent years shows how little you know about both their psychology and physiology, as well as how they were bread and their deeply embedded instinct to fight.

As far as I'm concerned this topic should be deleted. It may have been posted before the Liverpool story broke, but it did, so in my opinion, it's now wrong to be joking about this kind of thing.

I firmly believe you can't breed a vicious dangerous dog, only train one.

Sorry to say this, but in which case, there are no if's, and's or but's about it, you are just plain wrong.

And I firmly believe every single one of you ought to take the *fruitcage* stick out of your *albartroth* and either just stay away from the thread or appreciate the humour for what it is. Don't punish L4byr1nth just because he wasn't omnipotent enough to see into the future and spot the pitbull attack that was going to happen a few days after he posted this thread, and take your bloody studies etc to another more appropriate forum.

This isn't a thread to tell Arnies about your views on whether or not pitbulls can be trained or should be put down etc, this is a video showing just how gentle dogs can be. Try focusing on that for a change instead of leaping on the band-wagon like everyone else and calling for a crusade against all pitbull owners.

EDIT: That wasn't aimed at you, caz, just the others who seem to have completely missed the point of the thread.

I'm not punishing Labyrinth, I'm saying that the rest of you who are STILL defending these dogs, you are WRONG, end of. They are dangerous dogs and are BANNED under UK law for a REASON! Yes gthis thread was posted before it happened, so it isn't Lab's fault, but the rest of you have no excuse!

Part of the problem is that the pitbull has been bred to be extremely dangerous. Ive been attacked by every goddamn Jack Russel Ive ever met, and half a dozen other breeds of little yappy dog. If they were the same size as a pitbull, had as powerful jaws and had been bred specifically to kill things I probably would have had chunks taken out of me instead of beating them down with a schoolbag.

However, hereditary psychology of dogs is a bit of a grey area. Theres proof both ways. Dobermans and Rottweilers are, when raised right, meant to be one of the best dogs to have around children as they have some of the strongest parental instincts. They get used as guard dogs because if trained to be they can be pretty damn brutal.

The woman who runs the rescue place near me back home owns half a dozen pitbulls who've been forced to fight, abused and generally treated like *suitcase* by their scumbag owners. She has to have them insured, and have them on a lead with a muzzle at all times and she had to get them registered with the government, but shes had some of them for years with zero problems. She also knows more about dogs than anyone I know and she swears blind violence dogs is a case of nurture not nature. Given that pitbulls have been illegal to own unregistered since 1991 youve got to wonder where these people got the pitbulls that 'just snap' and what they've been doing with them since. If something bad happens with your dog you're hardly going to turn to the police and say 'oh yeah that might be because I got this rescue dog/bought it off a dodgy guy down the pub/bought it illegally and raised it to fight'...

Still, quite cute and obviously family friendly as the dog in the youtube vid seems I think given recent events its a bit of a point of contention and maybe not the most appropriate?

This isn't a debate, you lamers.

It's in the Humour sub-forum for a reason.

I'm a firm believer in not being an irresponsible 'tard, and keeping your misbehaved and most-likely illegitimate spawn away from what is essentially a wild animal (no matter how many kissies and cuddles you give him :rolleyes:).

This thread was up before the most recent attack, as has already been made clear. It's not meant to be any kind of social commentary related to that.

If you don't get it, you just don't get it.

Ben.

This isn't a debate, you lamers.

It's in the Humour sub-forum for a reason.

I'm a firm believer in not being an irresponsible 'tard, and keeping your misbehaved and most-likely illegitimate spawn away from what is essentially a wild animal (no matter how many kissies and cuddles you give him :rolleyes:).

This thread was up before the most recent attack, as has already been made clear. It's not meant to be any kind of social commentary related to that.

If you don't get it, you just don't get it.

Ben.

It's all right mate, I saw the funny side.

But then, back in my school days, (before our nanny state society) my mate's dad bread pits, because they were seen as good tempered & easily trained. Oh the irony!

Thing is, 4 teenagers a week die crossing the road in London. Do we ban roads? Do we? Do we?

No!

One poor kid gets savaged (my respect & deepest sympathies to all involved) & we can't have a laugh at the irony of your post?

C'mon. :(

Greg.

'xactly my point :)

Also, Xaccers, did you even read that article you posted?

It makes it sound like the grandma the four year old was sent to visit was actually breeding the illegal dogs herself.

Oh, the irony.

If that's the case, then no sympathy from me, but still condolences.

Ben.

Sorry my post is a little bit late, but I felt I have to respond. Pit bulls can be dangerous dogs. Okay, cool. Any dog can be a dangerous dog if you want it to be. It's a matter of how trainers act with their dog (Yeah, it's cliche to say that, but its true).

I volunteer at my local humane society. In doing this, I work with at least 30 pit bulls and various other breeds over the course of a few months. Most of these pits that come into the shelter are either returned by their origional owner or have come from a fighting ring that was broken up, so they are subject to whatever their previous masters threw at them. I must say that they are among the most obedient and loving dogs in my book (Okay, labs and rottweilers are first and second). They're not the smartest breed, but they certainly do love people. And AFAIK, they were bred in the late 1800's to babysit children. So nobody can tell me pit bulls are a bad breed when I have a hundred living examples.

I agree with the idea that no dogs are born bad, It's just bad training.

It seem's obvious that pitbulls would make up a majority of attacks because of the fact they are bred by certain people to fight which makes them this way, I own a staff and the amount of dodgy looks I get when I walk it is amazing. I even bought her a pink-ish lead to see if that helps but people still move away when they see us coming (maybe it's just my face though??? :D )

Archived